“never again”
Review of Elmwood Hotel

Elmwood Hotel
Ranked #369 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I thought that paying £200 for two nights in a London hotel was cheap but I new it wouldn't be the ritz but I didn't expect it to be that bad I asked for a ground floor room as my husband is disabled but at first they put us on the top floor which I said was not good enough so they gave us a lower ground room which was very small when you opened the window all you could smell was gas and the shower room was very tiny which was damp even the toilet paper was damp to touch the breakfast consisted of fruit salad out of a tin warm yogurt's cereal hard boiled eggs and toast served in a small room which seated about 10 people if I was looking to stay in London again I would never stay in that hotel again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank dottsie
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor
Website towards your recent stay at Elmwood hotel.

My name is John, I am the front office manager who
Checked you in at room 34 the Triple en- suite room.

I have managed immediately upon your arrival
While you were filling the Rigesteration form to swap
Your room in my system from upper to lower floor.
So this issue had been resolved in the time you were checking in.

The room you booked was Triple en-suite with breakfast and VAT for £100
Per night in central London and during the final of Wimbledon
Event is not high price according to London market.

The Brekfast that we serve is fully continental and you forgot to mention about many items
In your comment such as the cheese, ham and chicken slices ,
All of the plus the boiled eggs and fruit yogurts and the fruit salads and etc.....

Please understand the standard of the hotel you booking an you paying for before
Leaving such a misleading review on the Internet .

Thanks for your time.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Basement room, no air con, swealteringly hot even compared to the hallway. Funny smell initially, hairs all over the pillows. Tiny, uncomfortable bed.
And that was before the rude fellow residents who we could hear as if they were in the room with us.
Stay if you have to, but if you have a decent alternative - take it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thanks for your kind review towards your last stay at the Elmwood hotel,
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our service.
Please give me the opportunity to welcoming you another time in our company to change your bad idea about the Elmwood hotel, one of the best bed and breakfast hotels in London.

Once again please accept my apologies for your experience and I have raised all your comments to whom it may concern.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Booked for an overnight stay, as we were travelling by train the next day. Very close to the station so ideal. We stayed in the room for 4 and was clean and adequate for our needs. Breakfast was fine, cold meats and boiled eggs. We found the staff very helfpul. Only problem we had was a problem with the toilet. It leaked fresh water from the bottom. We did tell the staff but was not repaired whilst we were there. Despite this, would stay again. As location is perfect for an early train ride

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ScunnyBunny1956
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thanks for your kind e-mail towards your recent stay at the Elmwood hotel in London
We are very pled of your very positive comment towards the accommodation and the service also the staff,
We hope to welcoming you again in the near future.
Hotel manager

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed 2 nights in the Elmwood at the beginning of July.
We were given a basement room about 12 foot by 7 foot.
Furnished with the cheapest fittings available and a bed that was more like a table top than a mattress.
Add to that the constant noise of the water heater and flowing of water from toilets etc from other room it was more like spending the night on a table top in coffee shop than a hotel.
In fact the whole feel of the place was more youth hostel than Hotel.
To be fair to them we complained, the reception were courteous and polite and fortunately they had a different room on the first floor.
It was marginally bigger and the bed was softer but it was basically a camp bed which felt like it was going to collapse every time you moved.
I am not sure how many rooms the 'hotel' has but the numbers run into the upper 30's and the room allocated for what they laughingly called breakfast had 6 tables. You do the maths on that one. Needless to say we didn't get any. The second day we found a space and were treated to 2 slices of white toast, and the cheapest possible cheese and something that I suppose was meat, but tasted truly awful.
In summary then, if you have missed your train or just been kicked out of where you live, this place would do, but to call it a hotel takes a real stretch of the imagination and I would recommend exhaustive all other options, including staying at home before booking here

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear our Guest,
Thank you very much for your time adding your review
On Tripadvisor page towards your recent stay at the
London Elmwood bed & breakfast hotel.

First of all please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused
During your very short stay.

I am so sorry to hear that you were disappointed from the hotel standard.
I have raised all your points that you mentioned to our hotel directors to
Deal with it and fix as much as we could.

Our hotel is a budget bed and breakfast hotel with 35 en- suite rooms in a very central
Location of London,
We try to do our best to satisfy our clients,
As the size of the hotel is too small also the breakfast room has
7 tables and each table take 4 guests,

We do serve full continental breakfast, boiled eggs, Chhesse slices, Thin slices of chicken and hams, yogurts, cornflakes and coco pops , fruit salads, Jams, marmalades,butter and brown or white bread and 3 types of fresh juices,
I am sorry that you didn't like all the above for your breakfast,

I just wanted to tell you that we do a full renovation to our hotel every year,
And all of our beds and mattress are just 1 year old,
I am so sorry too that you didn't like the standard of the beds And the mattress.

Also we have added to this web page Tripadvisor the most recent photos of our
Rooms and all of then are genuine.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveienve and I hope to see you again.
Take it easy.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed there for a longer time. A good place, close to the centre. But very poor breakfast, and noisy nights. Loud voices somewhere in the house, in a strange language, and several nights in a line. Also, they take extra money for God knows what...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Iris M
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear our client,
Thank you for your recent review towards your
Stay last year Christmas at the Elmwood hotel.

I am pleased to inform you that we have updated our
Breakfast and added several items extra.

We have also taken a serious action with all kind of noise comes from outside
Through the local neighbours,

We do not charge any extra money, the only extra which is published
Clearly on all on line websites is for paying by credit card which is
3.5 percent and you can avoid it if you pay by UK debit card or cash or Traveler cheques!!

So there is no other extras, Brekfast and WIFi are free,
We would like to welcoming you again.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you want to book again next time
You travel to London.

Yours truly,

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Nice staff - Tiny room unclean, torn curtains- cheap breakfast.
We had to ask for towels, hair dryer, shampoo, etc
Well situated near St-Pancras station.

Expensive for the size & dirtyness of the room

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Maryse L
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Dear Our Client,

Thank your for your review towards your recent stay at the Elmwood hotel,
please accept my apologies as I can see that you were not satisfy from your stay at the hotel for some issues,

Our breakfast is advertised and published on line via all booking agencies that is continental breakfast, which contain ( Cheese, Ham slices, Chicken slices , Boiled eggs,Yogurts, white or Brown Toast, fruit salads, butter, jams, marmalade, coffee, Tea, hot chocolate, Orange, Apple juices, Cornflakes, and coco-pops) if all these items didn't fill your need in the morning!!

Then accept my apologies, as this is fully continental breakfast menu every where in the world!!
I am so sorry that when you arrived your curtain was torn, and we have resolved this issue and checked all our rooms and there is not torn curtain at the hotel, and we found it was 1 or 2 torn curtains previously at the whole hotel with small cuts on it.

finally please do not judge us from one night stay, and we still have some hope to correct our mistakes and satisfy your needs next time.

From Elmwood hotel and in be half of the rest of my staff please accept our best regards.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Just off main Euston Road in relatively (potentially) calm situation by an area of parkland. There did appear to be some noise from this vicinity at night, though not overly troublesome. Window opened nicely. Some work needed in room - as prev mentioned shower very leaky at joint, and toilet seat joint broken or needed securing. Room smallish and not lots of storage space for hanging clothes (?bring hangers), also rip in curtain which didn't help the welcome...

As has been noted, dining room has 6 tables and there can be a queue, however this also didn't cause us great hindrance.

We found the hotel itself pleasingly quiet and staff friendly. Bed OK if a bit creaky! Pillows a little on the thin side for my taste.

Thank you Elmwood.

Room Tip: maybe ask the staff?