“An ideal base for exploring London”
Review of Elmwood Hotel

Elmwood Hotel
Ranked #385 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I visited London in mid-February, for two days of pure sightseeing with my four year old daughter, and stayed at The Elmwood for two nights (Tuesday and Wednesday). She'd been very curious about London and was very excited to see all of the wonderful things I'd told her about, so I booked the hotel knowing it was going to be simply a base while we explored London, and a place to lay our heads at night. As I would be spending quite a lot of money getting my daughter and I into the attractions, I chose the most reasonably priced hotel I could find.

The staff, both reception and kitchen, were at all times helpful, polite and friendly, and did everything they could to make our stay as trouble-free as possible. The room was just the right size for our needs; a double bed and plenty of cupboard and drawer space for our clothes. The bathroom was functional and the shower worked fine - my daughter, who normally prefers baths, loved the showers she had and was reluctant to come out. The breakfast was standard, but exactly as advertised - processed ham and cheese, boiled eggs, cereals, yoghurts, toast, juices, tea and coffee. This was fine for us as our only concern was having something in our stomachs before heading out for the day.

At night, I could hear general noise (doors closing, people getting in and out of bed) from the guests in the adjoining bedrooms, but this was negligible. Unfortunately, on our last night, a car full of young men parked right outside of the hotel at about 1am and blasted their music for about 45 minutes. But this was nothing to do with the hotel, and, frankly, if you stay in the centre of London and expect not to hear any noise at night, then you need to give your head a shake.

Overall, my stay was exactly what I had expected, for the price I paid. I will definitely be staying in this hotel again, when I visit London again later in the year.

Room Tip: Take earplugs, just in case
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank trippitarka
There are newer reviews for Elmwood Hotel

Reviewed 23 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Chose this hotel since I had to fly the day after and everywhere was booked for a technology fair in london. The photos as seen on booking.com where attractive, however upon arriving, I had a shock since I walked in.

The room was nothing more than the size of a pantry - microscopic. It was very dirty with dust and fluff in the chandelier, in the lampshade (which was worn out), the bathroom was big enough for a puppy, I couldn't even fit on the toilet - no joke, gums sticked to the wall, strange spills on walls, wardrobe was less than 30cm wide with broken clothe hangers, window pane and sill full of mould, torn linen, stinky room, dripping toilet flush etc.. Just horrible.

And to top it all, I had to pay £5 for 1 hour earlier check-in and £5 for holding luggage after check-out which were left unattended in a corridor.

The only plus sign was that it was few meters away from Kings Cross - St. Pancras station.

I will never ever stay in this b&b again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DavidDegabriele
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear our guest,
Let me first of all to thank for your review
And your added photos on Trip advisor website

I would like to offer you my apologies
For the inconvenience caused to you during your
Stay at Elmwood hotel.
We are investigating seriously your review
And we will pass all your comments to the hotel
Management.
In the maintime I would like to thank you for your
Very positive review about the hotel location.
I we promise you for bran new attetuide
And loads of changes coming soon to our standard
Hope to see you soon in the near future.
John Girgis.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Pros -
Good location near Kings Cross
Cheap price
Clean

Cons -
Scuff marks on the walls and broken flooring
Double bed mattress was worn with ridge down the middle
Room was cramped
Radiator was on at full blast upon entering room and at first was unable to lower it
Shower was freezing cold with no heat
The plugs didn't work, had to pull back furniture to charge phone
Noise disruption from corridor and walls
Old smell on furniture

I stayed at this hotel for a night for a practical and cheap stay. I wasn't expecting much for the price, granted it was clean, but all other aspects were extremely disappointing. If a hotel has a shower with no hot water and usable plugs then even for a low price it is not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

London hotel rooms are very expensive. So this was a good price, but it was a very small room and small bed for 2 persons. Breakfast room was also very narrow.
Location was oké, near to the station and subway. Service was okay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in December 2013. The place was clean and comfortable, and five minutes walk from King's Cross. At £70.00 for the pair of us in a double room, including continental breakfast, we felt that it represented good value for money. We shall certainly stay here again. Be warned though - there are a lot of stairs!

Room Tip: Can;t really say, but our room (24) was fine.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My experience at Elmwood Hotel is positive: good staff, centrally located (just one minute on foot from the underground station), affordable price (about 100 pds for a triple room), very good breakfast. Rooms were small, but clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family