Elmwood Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights for a site seeing trip. The reception service was friendly and efficient. There's no lift and we were up 2 flights of stairs so carrying your cases up could be hard work for some. The room wad pretty small but it was clean, the bed was comfy and it had a perfectly clean toilet and shower. It was a bargain compared to a lot of places near to King's Cross. The safe wouldn't work in the room so we were offered use of the reception safe until it was fixed but we ended up leaving our valuables there as it was free rather than the £2 per day for the room safe. They also charge £5 per luggage item if you want to leave them after you check out but i explained no one had told me about a charge when i called to ask about luggage storage and we were allowed to leave them free of charge. Breakfast was fine, toast, jam, ham, cheese, boiled eggs, cereals, yoghurts, juices, tea
and coffee although the tea and coffee were a bit ropey. On the downside people have a tendency to stand outside the row of hotels (the park in the middle of the square is locked at night) and drink and smoke and they can sometimes be very loud until 2/3 in the morning. We were also woken by some very rude and loud guests who had the bedrooms either side of us. Slamming doors is bad enough at 6 in the morning but when they were running late for their airport pickup at 4.30am they were horrendous. The hotel can't really be blamed for this although they could do with putting some soft closers on the doors. All in all a good choice except for the inconsiderate guests.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 2 April 2014

To review B&B, bed and breakfast, I would concentrate on those two. While the bed was ok, was breakfast so horrible I can't give very high rating. Breakfast room was ridiculously small causing people to queue to get in. No cooked breakfast, only toasts, coffee and cereal. Also, it was full of impolite Russians and I was charged extra when paying by credit card. Had to pay when checking in, understood, as there were nobody at the reception when checking out. Wouldn't stay there for more than one night, but there are better options available.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HelTraveller
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thanks for your review towards your stay at Elmwood hotel.

We serve fully continental breakfast which includes Toast and cereals as you wrote and include another 11 different items you didn't mention which is :-
Boiled eggs, cheese Slices, cheese creamy, ham slices , chicken slices, yogurts, fruit salads,
Jams, marmalades, coffee & tea , orange & apple juices , fresh cold or hot milk!!!!!

So if all the above items is not enough for your breakfast then please accept our apology.
I appreciate you understand that we are busy bed and breakfast and this is because we are very clean and offer great service for cheap prices and that is why the breakfast was full as you have seen, in that time you stayed we had a Russian group ther were students.

But I do not accept your comment impolite Russian !!! It is not nice to describe the race here in the UK and we consider it such a foolish !'

Regarding paying in advance it is normal in all hotels but I believe you do to travel a lot and we do charge 3 percent extra only on credit card & you have option to pay UK debit card or cash to avoid
The little extra fees which it goes to the bank not extra profit for the hotel.

Please be faith & accurate in your comment in order to pass a clear image about the service to others.
Thanks any way for your time writing your words.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I visited London in mid-February, for two days of pure sightseeing with my four year old daughter, and stayed at The Elmwood for two nights (Tuesday and Wednesday). She'd been very curious about London and was very excited to see all of the wonderful things I'd told her about, so I booked the hotel knowing it was going to be simply a base while we explored London, and a place to lay our heads at night. As I would be spending quite a lot of money getting my daughter and I into the attractions, I chose the most reasonably priced hotel I could find.

The staff, both reception and kitchen, were at all times helpful, polite and friendly, and did everything they could to make our stay as trouble-free as possible. The room was just the right size for our needs; a double bed and plenty of cupboard and drawer space for our clothes. The bathroom was functional and the shower worked fine - my daughter, who normally prefers baths, loved the showers she had and was reluctant to come out. The breakfast was standard, but exactly as advertised - processed ham and cheese, boiled eggs, cereals, yoghurts, toast, juices, tea and coffee. This was fine for us as our only concern was having something in our stomachs before heading out for the day.

At night, I could hear general noise (doors closing, people getting in and out of bed) from the guests in the adjoining bedrooms, but this was negligible. Unfortunately, on our last night, a car full of young men parked right outside of the hotel at about 1am and blasted their music for about 45 minutes. But this was nothing to do with the hotel, and, frankly, if you stay in the centre of London and expect not to hear any noise at night, then you need to give your head a shake.

Overall, my stay was exactly what I had expected, for the price I paid. I will definitely be staying in this hotel again, when I visit London again later in the year.

Room Tip: Take earplugs, just in case
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank trippitarka
Reviewed 23 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces