“Fair value for money - good base for exploring London”
Review of Elmwood Hotel

Elmwood Hotel
Ranked #377 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Location on Argyle Square is perfect for getting around London from Kings Cross/St.Pancras and the near by Pubs serve decent meals and good ales. The hotel Elmwwod itself has extremely small rooms, but they seem to have been recently refurbished, albeit with some cheap materials. I had a basement, single room which was perfectly adequate. The Flat screen TV included a DVD-player, the internet was free and the bathroom was large enough for the limited time, I usually spend in it.
I do not travel with american size suitcases, so I had no trouble using the narrow stairs - and I am not much into "moving around" in my room, the purpose of which I think is to provide me with a good night's sleep and a bath in the morning. The Elmwood is not a classy place with Five o'clock tea salons. But the staff is helpful and my only regret is the very basic breakfast - but the again: Where in the U.K. will you ever get a slice of real bread for breakfast, in stead of the good oldfashioned toast?

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank ChrLicht

Reviewed 8 November 2010

We have stayed in a lot of small, budget hotels around Argyle Square as it is a great location. It is a quiet, leafy square very close to Kings Cross/St Pancras so the bus and tube connections to the rest of London make it a very good base.

But this is by a long way the worse hotel of the lot. The rest are fairly similar and hard to choose between but the Elmwood Hotel stands out as being vastly inferior. The staff were ok, but wouldn't let you take a key out even for a cigarette (no smoking inside), which made it tedious. The breakfast was so, so.

What makes this hotel unique is the amount of stuff they cram into the smallest space possible. You do not expect large rooms in cheap London hotels, but you do want to be able to move around, without moving a bag just to get to the bathroom. And speaking of bathrooms, it would be very useful for someone who was really ill as you have the basin on your lap when sitting on the toilet!

The "wardrobe" was also a class apart, fully 9 inches wide and it fell to bits when you tried to use it. This place oozed low quality from the doors, through the bed linen to the bathroom fittings.

Argyle Square is a great location but please book any where except the Elmwood.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AdrianW31
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Room in basement so small we had to leave cases in hallway upstairs.
Two of us were in a room for three. (one double bed & one single)
We could not both walk around the room at the same time. Bathroom so small toilet was wedged in corner and cistern was high on the wall, no room behind toilet. Shower so small all the water sprayed on to bathroom floor and into sink.
Breakfast a joke.
Did not tell me that there was a 4% charge to use credit card to pay.
STAY AWAY

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2010

At the end of the day - £50 doesn't get you much in London - so don't expect the Ritz.. It's a safe place toget your head down for a couple of hours. I was tearing my hair out trying to find somewhere to stay given that my employers daily accommodation and meals budget is £62 -took a chance on this one.

Great location for Kings Cross / St Pancras, very quiet. Found a great pub down the road called The Rocket. Cheap beer (£2.00 a pint, and excellent value food).

Stayed for 2 nights on business. Room was very small. Bed wasn't much more than a camper bed on stilts, very soft mattress which can't have been more than 2 foot wide. I think the screen on my ipod was bigger than the TV. Breakfast isn't superb. Rubber Cheese slices and something that looked like spam along withsome boiled eggs - but again - £50 a night in central London people.

Ok - if you don't want to spend too much, not going to be in the hotel too long etc. OK for business travel - wouldn't take partner/ family etc.

Notice a lot of US tourists have left some negative reviews - but I'll repeat my first sentence - £50 doesn't get you much in London - so don't expect the Ritz.. Why fly half way across the world and stay somewhere like this on vacation?! It's really for business travellers with a crap hotel budget, or somebody catching an early train!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank draig_cymru
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Our Room was VERY small, Bed was noisy and unstable, Water Temperature couldn't be practical regulated (only Boiling Hot or Ice Cold!), TV was undersized, something like 11" !
Breakfast was very bad, consisting of cheapest Cheese slices, something looking like Ham, old Toast and brown Water only nearly smelling like Coffee......

Don't go to this Hotel, only this will bring these Strange Guys in Mind that they have to do MUCH Work on their Business, or run it as a Hostel for Teenies.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hummel01
Reviewed 24 April 2010

The proprieter is a complete cheat and charges for services never provided. He took a honeymoon that had already been marred by travel disruptions and turned it into a nightmare. This is a very dirty, unscrupulous establishment that I would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SBG_10
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear our client,
Thank you for adding your feedback on Tripadvisor website,
Firstly please accept my apologies in behalf of our hotel staff and directors, that
You wasn't satisfy about your stay at the Elmwood hotel,
I am so sorry to hear that your honeymoon holidays were
Not as you expected,
I hope you are aware that we are not a leisure or summer resort hotel,
We are a very budget bed and breakfast hotel in the city centre, may be you expected more facilities, or swimming pool and Sunna or steam and Gym, but this is for sure not us!
I hope next time you find the correct place for the correct event,
In the main time once again please accept our apologies and we wish you all the best.

Reviewed 22 July 2009

I have just written the letter, below, to the Secretary of State for Health. MK

Secretary of State for Health
Department of Health
Richmond House
79 Whitehall
London SW1A 2NS

Dear Sir/Madame:

Our stay began well enough: a very small room for three people: a double bed for my husband and me; a single for our son. The first morning my husband woke with some bites but since I did not appear to have any, we thought the problem might have been mosquitoes from the park across the street. The second morning, he had more bites, starting to look like welts. I asked at the desk if they had ever had beg bugs and they said “no.” By the third day my husband had 32 welts (I took photos) and I had a few bites as did my son. I asked if we could change rooms and was given a new room across from the old one. The manager, John, said they had never had bugs. My son was now itching seriously all along his arms and legs and my husband had huge (one inch) bumps on his forehead and arms and legs.
On the 4th morning, I was horrified to hear a male and female talking to each other in the room we had fled. I said to the receptionist, “how could you let anyone sleep there?” He answered that he had told the couple about the room but they had missed their train and wanted to stay.
Ready to check out, I told the manager we had had a miserable stay. My husband showed him his bites, I showed mine. The manager then said that a mother and two daughters had stayed in the room we had fled and he waved a “letter” in front of me alleging they had stated everything was just fine. At the very moment he was making that statement, his workers were gutting the room that we had complained about! They had removed all the furniture and the rugs (see photo). I had seen the manager running to the corner with a huge black plastic bag-- he later explained that was the mattress -- as I was returning from a laundry where we had decided to wash all of our clothing.
I would have thought that the hotel would keep people out of an infested room and hire an exterminator, not gut the room. I suspect, however, that this was not the first complaint the hotel had had (and the fact that they put people into the infested room after we moved makes me think we were not the first people they did that to).
I stated to the manager that he owed us a refund for 3 of the 4 nights since we had paid for a clean room, not for bed bugs. He then told me that:
1) the room was fine according to the “letter” he had waved before me and
2) if there were bugs, we had brought them from America!
I was upset by the bugs, of course, but more so by the dishonesty. He had just gutted the room (on a Sunday no less!) either as a result of NO bed bugs or as a result of “bed bugs from America!”
Our best experience was when the three of us visited a London National Health Center walk-in clinic for a diagnosis and prescriptions. The lead nurse was friendly, efficient, and extremely competent. She added that she hoped our entire London experience had not been ruined. Certainly, the NHC made a good impression but steer clear of this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family