“Public areas need a refresh but room was good”

Ascot Hyde Park Hotel
Ranked #995 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Public areas need a refresh but room was good”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

After reading all the negative reviews I was really worried about what I had already booked. However I can safely say I was pleasently suprised. While the public areas (reception, lift and corridors) could do with a complete refurbishment the room itself was recently refurbished and was clean and comfortable.

For the price and location I would recommend this as a cheap and comfortable place to stay if you are looking to spend the night in London on a budget.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hotel could do with an entire renovation. Couldn't sleep because of the noise of the elevator. there were stain over the walls. Screws sticking out of the floor. The blanket were not clean. We couldn't open the window but water was coming through. The window needed replacing as it was rotten.

positive: nice clean, bathroom . Good size bedroom. comfortable bed.
good location.

in general you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: don't have room next to the elevator 100,200,300,400
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here for one night and I wasn't too keen from the time I walked in the front door. There was loud renovations going on in the room next to me which didn't bother me too much as I was out during the day but I didn't think it was appropriate to have loud music cranking from the tradies stereo which would have travelled into all rooms on the floor. The cleaner barged into the room about 15 minutes after I checked in... Rooms are not sound proof.... No remote for TV... Went to fill up the kettle but it looked disgusting inside so I didn't bother. Wanted to leave my bags for a few hours on the day I checked out so I could go and do a few things - no luggage room (which was advertised), you just leave your bags unattended in the dining area for anyone to access..... The hotel has potential with the right people running it and might be OK in a few years... I'm not a fussy person and don't give too many bad reviews but I would not stay here again and would not recommend anyone else does either.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank travellersarge
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Nothing was good about this hotel except from the price. The elevator was old and scary. The fire safety very bad and outdated, it is surprising the hotel does not get shut down. And there doors into the rooms were not air- or soundproof. And it did not look like it had been cleaned or renovated since the year they opened.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank marthertz
Volos, Greece
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Great location for Paddington Station, so good for early morning flights from Heathrow. The hotel itself is just bad. Corridor smelt like a dentist's surgery, my room smelt mouldy - couldn't open window and no ventilator.

Kettle didn't work. No remote for TV (ask at reception). No hot water for shower (had to wait 2 hours).

Advice bring a sleeping bag with you and don't use the lift it's a death trap. Paid 30 pounds so ok, usual price is not worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Valla, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

To start with ,the reception was a joke.Basil Fawlty would do better job than the jerk on the desk.He totally ignored me whilst he looked like he was playing cards on his computer. We had to pay for our stay up front, which we've never had to do before. We can see why: everyone would have walked out if they hadn't already paid! Finally we got to our room (by the stairs )because the lift was as slow as a snail.The stairs are a maze of corridors and fire traps and smelled of recently lit cigarettes,scarey yeh?They said breakfast was included but when we got down to the dungeon room the lady sent us up to Basil but he said that it was a mistake and we had to pay extra even though it said breakfast was included on my booking paper! I was glad we went up the road to a nice pub and had a beaut breakfast there.The breakfast room in this hotel compares to Colditz Castle and the guests down there are staving inmates.Another gripe was the internet charge they wanted.What a joke!Once again the pub saved our lives,it was free.The bed was very uncomfortable and only one blanket so a bit cold sometimes although the heater worked, just. So dont go anywhere near this joint,worst hotel ever!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont do it!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I just was there last night 08/12/2013, the owner was so rude in answering any basic questions.
Do not try it never ever :(((((((( the room is so cold because the heater is small and lucked and you can not increase the volume, rooms are so noisy because windows are not double-glazed next to a busy road :(((((

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends