“Okay, did I luck out? It was fine”

Ascot Hyde Park Hotel
Ranked #1,000 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed here just for one night. I had an early morning flight and wanted to be near Paddington Station. From reading the other reviews, I crossed my fingers, and decided I could put up with anything for one night that offered me the high level of convenience I needed at a good price.

Although I only needed a single, I was given a room with four beds. Works out that way sometimes. It was newly remodeled, very clean, and while the bed was reasonably comfortable, not sure I want it for a week. The bath was spotless.

In the end, not too bad, better than expected.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Researcher14
There are newer reviews for Ascot Hyde Park Hotel

Reviewed 14 May 2014

You probably won't find better value for money in central London. Good location and very friendly and accommodating staff. I was a bit worried, having read some pretty awful reviews here and especially travelling alone, but the friendly receptionist made sure I was happy with my room - he even gave me a choice between 2 different rooms, and a double although I'd only booked a single room. OK, the corridors weren't the cleanest I've seen, and the ceiling in the bathroom was peeling a bit, but apart from that, which is really minor considering the price, I can not fault this hotel on value for money. The room was a good size, had everything you need for a short stay such as TV, hair dryer and good size wardrobe, the bed was ok, clean sheets and towels. The bathroom had recently been re-done to a good, modern standard with nice tiles and a large well-working shower. I can't speak for any of the other rooms but judging by the rooms I saw, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights and found it perfect value for money in a great location. The reception were very friendly, we didn't have UK travel adapters and they lent them to us free of charge. Rooms were very clean, close to a bus stop, and less than 5 minutes walk from paddington station.
The only downside was, we paid for wifi and it didn't work. But we were refunded no problems

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 30 April 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE!
This hotel is terrible - myself and my brother stayed in the hotel for 3 days while in London and it was pathetic, here's a list why that you MUST READ:
The rooms are very dirty
The vibrations from trains passing are very annoying and occur a few times every hour
They were constantly doing construction work in the room next to ours - we could barely sleep
WORST OF ALL: THEY REMOVED OUR DOOR while we were out. The door was literally taken away, leaving the room open to anyone who walked by. There was not even anyone there looking after the room. Thank god no one took our passports and laptops which were on display. What's worse is that we went to complain and the staff had conveniently left 'disappeared'. All that were there were cleaners. PATHETIC.
Builders then kept coming in to install a new door. A door that had a hole in it. People could literally look through and see into our room. You'd have more security sleeping in a wheelie bin outside - probably more comfort too.
Don't believe me about the door? I took a photo. (view the image elsewhere on this page.)
Don't support businesses that don't care about their customers- Don't stay here, regardless of how cheap it is.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jessy C
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Close to Paddington Tube station, offering easy access to move. Votes were through the walls of the corridor and the neighboring rooms. The room was a little cramped and suitcases, there was no decrease in space. Restaurant, where breakfast was enjoyed was simple, but stormed the music too loud. Breakfast was adequate and varied. All in all, the place was clean and the staff helpful. Nevertheless, the very decent place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We ended up at this hotel after another big-name hotel sold our room because we were late arriving due to mechanical issues on the train. I was very frightened by the appearance of the lobby, but at after midnight and wandering London with several suitcases, we were desperate. Our room was quoted at 60 pounds, so I figured we were in for an adventure. The elevator was a sight to behold. We could barely fit two of us in, with our luggage! The hallways were very dirty, with flooring and parts of the walls lying broken on the floor. Our room, though, was a pleasant surprise. Decently clean, and not what I expected for décor. I was picturing something like the movie Nat’l Lampoons European Vacation-not at all. It was ok. The bathroom was very modern and clean (and private!). It was, however, VERY noisy. There were people coming and going all hours of the night, and it sounded as though they were in our room with us. There were some very loud partiers, who kept knocking on our door too. With no chain on the door, and no peephole to see out, it was a little frightening.

All in all, we survived. The room itself was clean and we at least had a place to sleep for a night. I wouldn’t likely stay here again, but in a pinch it gets by.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We needed a last minute hotel in London and found this for £125 for 2 nights so booked it... Wow I've never been anywhere so bad. Staff were so unfriendly. As 2 young girls we did not feel safe staying there we kept the bathroom door open which blocked off out beds and the main door as we felt that unsafe. We were kept awake by the wooing sound of the lift all night! For the price I wasn't expecting much but this was something else there was only one plug socket in the room and no tv remote, we had sheets and blankets from the 1970s and felt that the McDonald's down the road was more hospitable!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends