“Unusually good food for £25”

The Restaurant at St Paul's
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City of London
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I like it. I had eaten in the café right next to the restaurant under St Paul's Cathedral, which is OK- limited menu, somewhat gloomy (it is a crypt, after all!). The restaurant is a little gem - turn left when you get downstairs, and unexpectedly, there is natural daylight, and a small, quiet, uncrowded setting for our lunchtime visit. The food is really pretty good, I have to say. Nice service, quiet, small menu but nicely presented.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked this restaurant on a Sunday as part of a celebration weekend for my parents 50 yr wedding anniversary. I really built it up based on the reviews but unfortunately it turned out to be a let down. We booked a table for 7 at 1pm, months in advance, the setting is great , while the service was extremely slow this was not a real problem as we just enjoyed chatting, we had the 2 course menu, the main course took over 1 hour to arrive as I said this was not the main issue. The main issue was that the potatoes when vastly overcooked and so hard that we had to leave the majority of them, the yorkshire puddings were burnt to a crisp, there was very little gravy , after asking for more we waited so long that we decided it best to continue to eating dinner before it got cold, The vegatarian option that my daughter had was tiny. We decided not to complain as it would have upset what was a special weekend for my parents. Deserts were okay apart from the banana pancake which was cold.
Generally it seemed that the staff had something more important/ better to do than worry about us.
On a positive point the homemade lemonade was very good.
The reason for this negative review is that we have complained to both toptable and the restaurant without recieving any reply so having left it a week now seemed the right time to address it.

2  Thank David A
Reviewed 5 February 2014

After reading recent reviews I am even more surprised by the attitude of the afternoon staff who had clearly had enough of serving people come 4.00pm. My partner and I were trying to enjoy a cappuccino but before we could take 2 sips of it, the staff started packing up around us and the other guests. Last orders are at 4.30pm so to all of the visitors who are considering a cuppa at the end of your tour - do it beforehand unless you want to hear the staff dragging wooden tables across the tiled floor for 20mins - it was very uncomfortable and hardly enjoyable. Everywhere and I mean everywhere we have eaten for the last 8 days in London has had bend over backwards hospitality - staff that smile and make you feel welcome - and amazing food. What a pity we decided to stop in for a cuppa before heading home yesterday.

3  Thank Tanya W
Reviewed 4 January 2014

While visiting London and knowing that we were attending choral Eucharist at St Paul's we decided to search for a restaurant for Sunday lunch nearby. I was pleasantly surprised to read of this restaurant in the crypt of the Cathedral and such great reviews.

I can say that the restaurant fully met our expectation - a compact restaurant on two tiers with an open plan kitchen. The food was local and all suppliers were credited which was great to see in such a big city. The food was fresh, fragrant and served in a contemporary manner. We started the meal with a glass of British sparkling wine and cordial which was lovely and would give procecco a run for it's money.

All courses were cooked beautifully with attention to additional sauces and dressing. Roast beef was served medium as it should be and the confit salmon was succulent.

There was a lovely atmosphere here and somewhere one could have a romantic dinner a birthday lunch or a family get to gether.

Thoroughly enjoyed the meal because of the fresh local products, beautifully cooked and presented what more could one look for particularly in a city with so much choice!

We will return...

2  Thank classicgirl
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Was a lovely surprise to have lunch here as we were rather tired after our tour of St Pauls cathedral and the setting is rather unusual. Service was efficient and friendly and the food was good.