“Good rate.”

Ranked #838 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London
“Good rate.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Good rate and clean but kinda far away from central tourists areas. Very kind staff . Hallway need a bit updating (carpet). Neighborhood was ok.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
East Anglia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I booked this hotel the weekend of the london marathon. My sister was doing the marathon and it was my mum's birthday. With that in mind I was looking for something comfortable but reasonably priced (given the demand for rooms on the marathon weekend, and the fact that we would only really be there to sleep). The description seemed ok, the photos looked good, nothing fancy but it looked clean and modern and exactly what I was after.

I literally could not believe it when I arrived and saw what we had been allocated. I had booked two single rooms, one for my mum and one for my brother, and a double/twin for me and my sister.

When we arrived we walked into find that the single rooms both had bunk beds - that in itself isn't really a problem, but I would never have booked that for my mum who is nearly 70. However, as the room was booked as a single, the top bunk had been folded up against the wall, but actually took up a third of the matress space. You would easily hurt yourself if you woke up suddenly in the night, you could certainly bang your shoulder, if not your head!
In addition one of the rooms was so small that there was really not enough room for bunk beds and certainly not suitable for two adults.

I went to complain but they said that all the single rooms were like this and that they were fully booked so had no other available rooms to offer me. With this in mind we all swapped rooms. My brother is a big guy, so to put him in such a small room was ridiculous and it just wasn't really appropriate to have my mum in bunk beds either so gave her the double. In the event, my sister and I took the smallest room.

When my mum arrived, it turned out that her key didn't work, so they put her in a different room (I did question the fact that they were "fully booked" and that clearly someone else was going to have issues, but more importantly if there was a spare room, why could we not have been moved?!)

I have attached pictures, because I have never seen anything like this.

Problems
This hotel is certainly more of a hostel than a hotel
The bunk beds are, at best, dangerous if not folded down
The ladder to the bunk bed was also uncomfortable to use. The rungs were so narrow it was impossible to put my feet on it comfortably. This could've been nearly impossible for an older person - or alternatively people would need to put their shoes on to use it
The site advised 2pm check-in - I had to fight to check in before 2.30 at the earliest, although I did ring ahead to say we were arriving early and in the end they did have the rooms ready, for which i'm grateful
Several times I had to return to reception as the keys didn't work
Apparently maintenance only come in once a week, so any thing that they fix maybe temporary!
There was no telephone in the hallway so I kept having to go up and downstairs to get these problems sorted out
Only one towel allocated per person (i personally like 2 so I can do my hair)
No bathmat provided in any room, so any of us could've easily slipped when getting out of the shower
No shaving points in any of the rooms
The tv worked but had no tune-able channels in any of our rooms
The 'Premier Breakfast Pack' - is a croissant, a bottle of orange juice and a yoghurt served in a bag collected from reception

That said: the place was quite clean and the beds were reasonably comfortable - but that is the only redeeming feature.

I have to say I am usually very easy to please, and I accept that I usually get what I pay for, but I was just shocked at how poorly the accomodation had been advertised. I would never have booked this, if I had known what it was actually like, as it was completely inappropriate for the people I had booked for.

Room Tip: Do not have Room 39 - it is the smallest room in the world!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank planetrock
Durango
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel is reformed which makes it very comfortable and looks good. It also provides a lift. The staff is very kind and helpful and the reception is 24h open . Rooms are clean and the mattress are quite comfortable. The location is quite good as bus stops are in about a 5 minutes walk far away, although 30 minutes are needed by bus to get the city center . Number 9 and 10 leave you in picadilly circus and a lot of them goes past so usually you don't have to wait to pick them up.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

Pros:
Within walking distance to West Kensington tube station
Quiet location
Rooms are clean
Staff willing to help
Nearby convenience stores
Near a good restaurant for breakfast
Near to V&A and Science museum
Hot shower is hot
It has free wifi!!!!

Cons:
Rooms extremely claustrophobic
Heater wasnt working well. Had one freezing night.
Hardly any electrical sockets
Bathroom is probably less than 12 ft square, if you are overweight, you may not fit in
Bathroom showel gel stinks
Staff forgets your requests (probably hire part-timers on shifts)
West Kensington tube station is not the most accessible station. Trains going clockwise via circle line is not frequent (but not a problem if you are headed to another direction)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

I stayed here with five male friends in two rooms of three. I was lucky, as my room had a single bed and a bunk bed. The other room had a single and a double.

Ideal base. Not glamorous. Free coffee available at reception - go for the Chocolatte!

One word of warning, this is a residential area and also has an infant school nearby. If you are planning on having a lie in DO NOT have a ground floor room.

This hotel worked for us, cos' we stayed up very late and didn't spend much time awake in the room. I wouldn't want to stay here to "lounge around". A member of our party commented "It's like staying in a prison". The compact rooms and basic amenities could be described as prison-like, but nobody touched my bottom once :O))

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends