Club Quarters Hotel, Trafalgar Square
US$261
US$216
  • Pool
2,453 results
All reviewsgreat locationfiltered waterbuckingham palacenational gallerycharing cross stationbig benice machinelondon eyecovent gardenwalking distancewest endcentral locationgood sizebusiness hotelbusiness tripstandard roomsmall room
Reviewed 19 May 2010

First time ever in a Club Quarters and I've seen a few mixed reviews, so not sure what to expect.

I arrived at 10pm into the very impressive lobby space that leads onto a bar/restaurant.

The check-in space is off to the left. To call it a desk would be overstating its size. However, I was checked in by a pleasant young lady and given a room key. There are two self service machines opposite the desk, which you could use if busy. However, they always seem like the self scan aisles in the Supermarket - they should be faster, but they always take longer than going to a cashier.

Up to the room itself - no problem in one of the two (small) lifts that have keycard protection.

My standard room: had a double bed, wardrobe, en-suite shower room, a wall with a strange angle cutting across one side and a window with no view at all. The decor is OK, but already aging in some areas.

The work desk: has 3 sockets on top, good! One universal one for US/EU travellers would have been even better. Unfortunately, sitting at the desk leaves you with your back to the TV, so you can't surf and channel surf at the same time. There's no easy socket by the bed - a shame as I like to leave my phone on to charge overnight & use it as an alarm.

Bed - was comfy enough - I slept well, but it always do.

The coffee mugs left in the room were both filthy - I wouldn't want to be drinking coffee from them! At least there is free fileterd water (amd ice) at a station at each floor by the lift. No mini bar in the room.

Bathroom: was a little small, with a shower stall and no tub. The shower was walk in, not too large and had a curtain, not glass. This mean the curtain blowing up and catching you whilst showering - OK at home, not in a hotel. The shower was not thermostatic, but did not vary in temperature wildly when I was using it. However, pressure was poor. There's a good magnifying mirror, but the washbasin tap is in a hard to reach corner, under a glass shelf. The towels failed my fluff-o-meter test. No need for a loofa!

Breakfast:- not many people eating from the cold buffet. No mention of hot food when I sat down, but I did see a plate of English Breakfast delivered to a table while I was eating my toast & cheese. Not good value for £12 and food to order is never good if your on business and in a rush.

The lift: These are small and marked 5 People + Luggage 600Kgs only. Returning one night a sixth person jumped in our lift on the ground floor just as we were going up. Oh dear - the lift broke - lurching and jumping until it ended up in the basement, where our uninvited guest and two traumatized Americans ran out. All probably quite safe, but an unnecessary sphincter tightening moment. Normally lifts can easily take more people than can fit in them - but not this one! No excuse in a new building.

Checkout: I used the machine and it spat out my invoice in good time.

Overall - I wasn't sure to rate a 4 or 3. In the end, the dirty cups, the lift, slow breakfast and poor bathroom design push it down to a 3. Shame - it could nearly be a 4.

I wouldn't say don't stay here - if you're a tourist the location is great and you could forget the minor issues with the property.

Tips: Cheaper breakfast at the Garfunkles two doors down, or even at McDonalds, Starbucks or Cafe Nero. No need to be a captive cash cow.

There is a branch of Prezzo opposite, which does OK pzza.

Turn left as you leave the hotel, past Garfunkles and there is a Tesco mini mart for drinks - inc beer and wine, and snacks,

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank AONE5
Reviewed 15 May 2010

My business trips to London tend to be quick, action packed, and a bit stressful, but I can always count the Club Quarters for a quick check in, and fully functional, modern room in a great location. I always travel with my laptop, so I appreciate the free in-room internet connections, as well as the computer stations in the beautiful library area. Perhaps best of all is the do-it-yourself cappuccino machine. Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in London.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2010

They do speak English in London, correct? I'm just making sure, since they obviously do not understand, or care about, the difference between a converter and an adaptor. This was the first night of our 12 day vacation through London and Italy. When I asked the front desk if they had a converter I could use with my flattening iron (which I showed to them), their first reaction was one of complete confusion. Then the manager came over and said of course, no problem. When he returned from around the corner, he had with him a giant heavy contraption that looked like a whole converter/junction box with US-type outlets in it and a cord with a European plug. It certainly appeared to be some sort of commercial grade converter . It was surely much more than just your standard little adaptor. Well, within 10 seconds of plugging it all in upstairs, my flat iron was bubbling, melting and emitting the worst chemical odor ever!! Of course, the entire staff took no interest or responsibility in this mishap whatsoever. I shouldn't have been surprised, as they were less than welcoming when we first checked-in as well. They really just seem to do their jobs because they must, but offer no personality or hospitality at all.
The hotel is situated perfectly, just off Trafalgar Square, for someone who wants to explore all of London's many sights. The rooms are a good size, clean, with nice bathrooms and comfortable beds. If only their staff lived up to the hotel itself, it would be terrific. Alas, unhappy unhelpful staff made me very ready to leave and not to return.
I recommend it only with the understanding and forewarning that it's an inexpensive well-located hotel without any frills or hospitality.
Oh, and you are only permitted access to use the business center and gym if you are a "member" of the hotel's business group?? Annoying.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The hotel is in good location. Very centralized and closed to the underground(subway). A modern hotel compared to others. Very nice and comfortable bed. Pricey breakfast! Helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Stayed here because of a). location and b). promise of a larger 'superior' room with two beds. 2nd bed was a chair that pulled out to a very small bed. Since it never got folded up the whole trip, it meant having to navigate around it the entire time in a not huge room. Room was clean enough, bathroom was smallish but serviceable. The decor was . . . not the best but not eye offending. The location was excellent - just off Trafalgar Square - very near two metro stops and walkable to most of central London.
The main problem was as noted in some previous reviews a complete lack of service. Just no presence of hotel staff. There is one person at the desk covering I think both the Grand and the Club Quarters. The housekeeping was efficient enough that we didn't really have any major issues but any kind of normal hotel assistance from front desk or concierge just isn't there. I handled my own bags so I'm not sure what would happen to people who needed baggage assistance - or really assistance of any kind. So whether you stay here may depend on how much 'service' you feel you need. The star rating on the hotel comes into question because doesn't 4 star indicate a certain level of customer service - but I'm sure that is not the model here. So my recommendation of this hotel depends entirely on what kind of hotel experience you are looking for. If you are a self-serve kind of person - you'll be fine.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends