“More than I expected”

Club Quarters Hotel, Trafalgar Square
Ranked #194 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Having stayed at Club Quarters before in the US I didn't expect a lot when we booked this. However my friend and I were pleasantly surprised we arrived. Though our room was as far as you could get from the elevators it was clean and bright. It was great to be able to open up the window and let the fresh air in instead of having to have the air conditioning going all the time.

The location was excellent to for seeing a lot of the attractions in London. We either walked or took the Tube to places (the Charing Cross station is just down the street from the hotel).

The front desk people were helpful enough though probably not the friendliest I've ever encountered. Folks at the bar though were definitely top notch.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Farsider
Write a ReviewReviews (2,342)

Reviewed 28 July 2010

We booked this hotel for 2 nights in May through londontown.com and pretty much revolved our whole weekend around the hotel, we booked theatre tickets for a show nearby and a restaurant that was within walking distance. We arrived at the hotel only to be told by a very rude receptionist that we were not on the booking and had "accidentally" been booked into a hotel right across town. She claimed that the website had made the mistake even though it clearly said that hotel on our booking form. We found her quite rude, in particular when she claimed that rooms in that hotel go for 3 times what we had paid, making us feel like we didn't deserve to stay there! She then booked a taxi for us to go to the other hotel which took around half an hour because of the bad traffic. It also meant getting the tube everywhere as we were in the business district of London and meant we couldn't see as much of London as we wanted to. When we arrived home we got in touch with londontown.com and they assured us we were booked with the Trafalgar Square hotel, we then made a complaint to the hotel and have heard nothing back since. We wondered when returning, because we got the room for a cheap price, whether they had sold the room to someone who had been prepared to pay more therefore putting us in a lower star hotel in a less desirable area.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SazBroughton
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in June 2010 with our 3-year old. Absolutely loved the location! We could walk it down in quick time to Buckingham Palace and Westminster and catch the tube nearby for other attractions! We stayed in a studio room which was fairly comfortable for the three of us. The automated check-in and check-out were convenient enough to use contrary to some of the other experiences posted here on TripAdvisor. A tad expensive at around $300 per night but, all in all, definitely worth it if you are traveling with young children and need a central location for sightseeing in London! The Garfunkel's restaurant down the road and the Tesco Express next to it were convenient for a quick meal/snack before embarking on more sightseeing outings. Tried room service from the restaurant downstairs but, found the service and food fairly average.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank garimell
Reviewed 15 July 2010

After an aweful experience at another London hotel we moved to the Club Quarters. Wow. What a difference. Arrived very early and our room was not ready. They quickly grabbed and stored our bags. When we returned late at night thay were carefully placed in our room that had a great view of London. Huge king bed. Lots of storage. Nice bathroom. Free bottled filtered water. Free expresso, capacino or lattes. Friendly helpful staff. Free laundry including soap. Wow. A great stay and great time. Right off Trafalger Square so close to evrything. Easy access tot the Charing Cross tube station. It was very warm, no problem. A nice fan and voila. I loved this place and will return

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Have stayed in several Club Quarters over the years and they are consistently good value for money. Rooms comfortable and well set up for business traveller. Usually you don't get a bath which I think is a shame as nice to soak in a hot tub after a busy day in the city, but it seems showers are the standard. Bit skimpy on the towels too - they are no way 'bath' size towels. Standard set of toiletries not very comprehensive either - bring your own shower cap if you use one. Bedroom good though - big desk, lots of power points, flat screen TV well positioned, large display alarm clock, and even some books about London to hand. I have always stayed at the back of the hotel and the views are of internal buildings unless you are on the top floor - ask for a high floor for more daylight if that's important for you. Worst thing for me is the check-in using a machine on the ground floor - rooms automatically allocated and feels very impersonal. Staff on hand if goes wrong though. Not a luxurious hotel by miles but perfectly adequate and great value for money given its location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Having been warned about the high costs and tight spaces associated with London hotels, I was shocked at the value and comfort afforded at the Club Quarters at Trafalgar Square. The hotel is less than one block from the square and a short walk from a number of attractions. I was overwhelmed with the many options London has but feel I lucked out with one of the best locations imaginable for a first-time visitor.

This hotel has more than just location going for it. The facilities are clean, modern, and well maintained. The check-in area is a bit tight, but there is a lobby space on the first (second for us Americans) floor that gives guests some elbow room. The second floor also features two computer terminals with access to free printing, which came in handy when I needed to print out directions on my way out of town.

I was given a street-facing room several floors up and had no issues with noise. In fact, I was surprised by how quiet it was at night! The room was spacious by European standards and was appointed with everything I needed. Comfy bed? Check. Desk space with free wi-fi? Check. Flat-screen TV with decent channel selection? Check. Clean bathroom? Check. My only beef is the location of the flush buttons for the toilet, which are directly behind where the lid goes when it is put up.

Welcome added bonuses are the free refillable water bottles and the filtered water dispensers in the hallways. I filled up every day before setting out and did not become dehydrated as a result. If only every hotel did this instead of pushing off overpriced water bottles that inevitably pollute landfills after a single use!

Overall, I was very happy with my stay and recommend this hotel to everyone, especially first-time visitors. Tube access is great and Waterloo Station is not too far away, so business travelers and return visitors should find this location good as well.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Overall I had a very good stay at Club Quarters Gracechurch. The location can hardly be much better, this hotel is within walkin distance to Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, The Eye, Trafalgar Square, The National Gallery, Regent Street, Soho, St James Park....the list goes on.

The rooms were clean, I could not find anything to pick on with regards to cleanliness which is probably my top priority. The size of the room was surprisingly large for London and there plenty of space for luggage, to iron clothes, etc. I had no problems with noise even if my room was facing the street. The only negative remark I have on the room was the small TV that was mounted on a skewed wall stand.

I have limited basis for evaluating service. The staff were courteous and helpful, but my request for early check in was met with an early check in fee (think it was about £40). This means that rooms were available, so I am not too impressed that I needed to pay for the service.

I paid around £110 a night, stayed sat-tue.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business