“Clean, great location and absolutely lovely staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charlies Hotel

Charlies Hotel
Ranked #405 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Clean, great location and absolutely lovely staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for two nights from the 4th August til the 6th. Our room was small with a few holes/plaster on the walls but it was very clean and we were provided with clean bedding and towels. We believe the hotel was going a lot of maintenance at the time such as painting and refurbishment so there was some noise in the day such as drilling. We didn't see this as a problem as we were out for most the day sight seeing. The Hotel staff were really nice, friendly and helpful during our stay . The breakfast was great as it was freshly cooked. Lastly the location was good as it was a quiet street and only about 10 minutes walk from the closest tube station. For the price we paid we were greatly satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Corfe Mullen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed at Charlies Hotel at the beginning of June with a friend just for some overnight accommodation as we were going to a concert at the Emirates Stadium. I knew for the price I wasn't going to get five star service but I only needed a place to sleep so that wasn't a problem. Even with that being the case, I still expected better then what greeted me.

I found the service at the hotel rather cold. The owner seemed less then interested in us on arrival and was keen to shove us off, giving us a vague location where our room was. The search for our room started the alarm bells ringing as it was clear to see that the hotel was in a desperate need of a clean and a lick of paint. We found our room in the rather dirty basement (ironic seeing as there was a hoover abandoned in the middle of the floor). On opening the door, it was apparent that the door was less then secure and a child would probably be capable of breaking in to it. That's if one of the beds wasn't right behind it meaning you couldn't open the door and had to squeeze through.

Sadly, my early fears proved correct when we saw the state of the room. Just like the rest of the hotel, the room really needed cleaning and decorating. My pillow had a cigarette burn on it and it certainly didn't look recent and the floor was really grimy. The beds were old and springy making for a really uncomfortable night and the curtain sagged so far down from the track that even when drawn a large portion of the window wasn't covered allowing a lot of light in. I did get some sleep but t was so bad that I woke up more tired then I was the night before. The breakfast the next day was reasonable with bacon, beans, mushrooms, egg etc. but again, the staff didn't really seem that interested in their guests.

The en suite bathroom was by far the worst part of the hotel. The bathroom was really pokey and I really struggled to get in the room. The sink blocked access to the toilet making it a squeeze to get through. Someone very overweight would of just had to hold on as they wouldn't have been able to get through. That might not be a bad thing though as when you've used the loo, you soon find out that it isn't powerful enough to actually get rid of even a number one. Keeping up the theme of the hotel, the bathroom also really needed a clean and decorating. The tiles were breaking as was the mirror and you could tell they probably hadn't been wiped down for a good few months. The shower was even more of a disgrace with grime clearly visible around the whole unit. Given the state of the bathroom I decided it would probably be best if I just walked around London sweaty the following day and showered when I got home.

The only positive I can say about the hotel is that the location is quite good. It's just a 15 minute trip on the tube from Waterloo and then only about a 5-10 minute walk to the hotel. If you are staying for more then a couple of days though, the cost of the tube to get places might be a bit much.

I would highly recommend avoiding Charlies Hotel at all cost. Even at the price the hotel is very bad value for money. Some might be able to tolerate the poor conditions if they are just looking for somewhere to sleep for a night but I couldn't and I'm not sure that many others will either. I can quite safely say that I will never return to this dump.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DMB01031985

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hayle, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

To begin, make sure you triple check your directions, most maps miss the essential turning. We booked this hotel, they took the money and they sent us an email to confirm booking.
On arrival day we got lost (see above) so had to ring hotel for directions and they had deleted our booking, luckily they still had a room available. We arrived and parked in the courtyard (if you have a low car or low exhaust you WILL catch it) and were given our key. The room was very basic and had 2 double and 1 single bed and a shower with a tile coming away from the side (no anti-slip bath mat) and a sink that you had to duck under the bathroom mirror to use.
There were no tea or coffee facilities, just a vending machine in the main hallway. The breakfast room was tiny and on the first morning we had to share a table with another room. breakfast was very basic with a choice of eggs, mushrooms, beans and bacon. Coffee was too strong as was the orange juice.
To be honest we were totally misled about this place and feel thoroughly let down. There was no room service apart from changing your towels and emptying your bins as the breakfast cup from the day before was still in the room when we returned late the first day. We also found a note telling us we hadn't paid, even though we had a receipt and email showing payment made. We were also not aware that Holloway Prison is less than 5 minutes away!!

To be honest I wish we had NEVER BOTHERED. And be warned, Friday morning we were woken at around 6 am by the dulcet tones of a screaming woman who screamed for a good 10 mins plus until another neighbour told her to shut up!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Claire S
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I read the reviews and thought an average four stars would be an acceptable place to stay on our last night in London because all we needed to do was sleep an exhausted sleep. The outside of the B & B and also the neighborhood was quaint. That's where the pleasantness abruptly ends. The place on the inside is a dirty, rundown dump. The bathroom was so disgusting and smelly that I wore my flip-flops in the shower. Our accommodations were at the back of the property, where everyone steps outside to smoke so our room smelled like a bar. The beds were like sleeping on coils. My husband moaned, groaned, tossed and turned ALL night long. We were exhausted the next morning. We woke up to the smell of greasy cooking, that made my stomach literally turn. We left in a hurry. What a horrible memory for our last night in London. Don't stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Britt0n1997
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

First things first, it's a cheap hotel, so expect what you pay. I have no problems staying in somewhere a less than ideal for a cheap night however there's a few basic flaws that mean it doesn't really do the job as a place to stay.

1. The shower is terrible, and of course small.

2. Want to wash your hands after you've flushed the toilet? Sorry, taps won't work for minutes after you've flushed.

3. Cold tap didn't work, brushing your teeth with hot water isn't the most fun

4. Twin room, you have to shimmy passed each other if you want to move.

Those are the basics would lead me to try somewhere else next time.

Slight grievances are the fact the towels are around 10 years old and thread bare, but that's minor.

Also there's one power slot, so charging a phone and anything else is not an option.

Plus points:

Free wifi, good enough to get online and work.

Home cooked breakfast.

Friendly staff, if you speak Polish even better ;)

Overall, for 1 night it's a cheap option and you'll sleep. More than one night or if you have more than one person needing to share the room then I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank aBhorsennn
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed in Charlies for 3 nights end of May. Room was very comfortable, esp the beds. Linen spotless as was room. Quiet. Bathroom spotless, roasting hot strong shower any time of day. Heating on even though it was May as the weather was cold. Lovely breakfast. Great value for money, hard to beat. Flat screen TV, free wireless.Nice quiet location. no noise at night, yet close to underground(within easy walking distance, one tube straight into central London in about 10 minutes) , shops, cinema. Staff very helpful, always available, warm and caring. My daughter and i ran into trouble while in London, when the proprietor Andy became aware he went above and beyond what i could have expected to help us out. He worked tirelessly on my behalf to help me sort the situation and it would not have been resolved the way it was without his input and his knowledge. As it was our first time staying there he did all this without ever having met us. He gave up a lot of his time to help us and we would not have got through the experience without his help and for that i will always be grateful. I have no hesitation in recommending Charlies while staying inn London. They don't pretend to be anything they are not like other establishments but if you are looking for clean, comfortable, welcoming, good location, good food and good value you couldn't do better than Charlies.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
East Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

Went to a concert so wanted a cheap hotel near Camden for a night. Found Charlies and from the reviews we were not expecting the Ritz! The first impressions were of a hotel that was last decorated in the 1970's, but we were still expecting a reasonably clean and friendly hotel. The welcome was a bit cold, although the door was answered by a very old Cypriot gentleman who was friendly, but the owner seemed annoyed that he was talking to us. We were given a room in the basement and on the way down the stairs, were greeted with mousetraps in the hall - not a good sign. When we opened the door, it hit the first bed, so my wife went in, closed the door and then opened again for me. We had booked a double room and we had 2 singles instead. There was an old wardrobe, but it was full of crumpled up old blankets, so we didn't want to touch that in case there were mice around! the only good thing was that the sheets, duvet covers and towels looked freshly cleaned. The carpet was filthy and you really wouldn't want to walk around in bare feet. The 'en-suite' had no lock on the door, was tiny, with a miniscule sink (without a plug) and a toilet and shower cubicle. The shower head was very dirty and had obviously never been cleaned. We couldn't was in the sink, so we bought some wet-wipes to use instead of washing. The TV was great - it even had a freeview box. Trouble was there was only one socket, so you could either have the TV on or the freeview, but not both! But the TV would only work with the freeview box. I eventually found another socket on the other side of the room, so we had to drag the TV over to it. It meant the TV was only a few feet away, but that was OK since the remote didn't work so we used our fingers! Had a decent night's sleep though, the beds were soft but OK. Went down for a full-English breakfast and that was fine, but my wife did find a long hair in hers. Overall, a very basic, dated hotel which would benefit from a complete decoration and thorough clean. We will not be visiting again.

Room Tip: Don't think there is a good room!