“Good value for money”
Review of Charlies Hotel

Charlies Hotel
Ranked #406 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed in a double room in September and was pleasantly surprised. The staff were extremely friendly, the breakfast was delicious and the room was clean, warm and inviting with a comfortable bed. So easy to get to all the top attractions the West End has to offer.
We will return and recommend,if ever you are looking for a good value hotel to stay whilst visiting London for business or pleasure.
The hotel offers free wifi and is currently undergoing modernisation which can only benefit this family run hotel more.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Charlies Hotel

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

After a poor review when we stayed here in April, the owner invited us to return having undertaken a general refurbishment. We returned this weekend and stayed in room 25. The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was large, modern and very clean. The cooked breakfast was good enough to set you for the day. Overall a vast improvement and I can easily recommend room 25 of this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. I stayed there 2 years ago. The hotel has gone down in quality over those 2 years. When I made my reservation, they told me that they had done some renovations, but I did not see them. The first room I was given was sort of an attic room, and had only 1 window that was very high so I couldn't see out of it. I asked for another room, and was given the option of a room in the basement. I took it, even though it wasn't as clean as the first, because it had a real window. The place seemed creepy this visit. There were mouse traps all over the basement, so I was always afraid I would see one or that one would be in my room. BUT, this place is so cheap and is in a great safe area. It is in the suburbs - Tufnell Park/Islington, and I did not once feel I wasn't safe there. I was traveling alone, so safety was important. There are no tourists in that area, so you get a feel for how Londoners live. It is an eclectic and very comfortable area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My fiance and I stayed here from August 7th to the 9th. I felt like it wasn't as good as some others have said, but also not as bad as some of the other reviews. Our room, towels, and bedding were clean and we had a flat-screen TV with many channels. The wifi wasn't the best, but it generally served it's purpose. However, our basement room was pretty tiny (not much wider than the bed, and the bed was pretty small for two people to share) and our bathroom had no door on it, so if you get this room, I hope you're really comfortable with your traveling companion. The bathroom is also tiny, in that you can barely get past the sink to the commode, and to the right of the commode was a gaping hole in the wall with pipes or something. There were also workers painting right outside the room pretty much the entire time. The building is cute from the outside, and is in a nice, quiet neighborhood, about a ten minute walk from the Northern Line and like a fifteen minute from the Picadilly Line (if you come from Heathrow, I'd recommend switching to the Northern Line and taking the shorter (and more downhill) walk), and there are a few shops, restaurants, and pubs around each stop. One of the brightest spots was the staff, who were very friendly and accommodating, even letting us check in like four hours early. The breakfast (including in the cost of the room) was good, and a nice way to start the day. Overall, I think there are better places in London for the price, but it serves it's purpose and is clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cetperry
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for two nights from the 4th August til the 6th. Our room was small with a few holes/plaster on the walls but it was very clean and we were provided with clean bedding and towels. We believe the hotel was going a lot of maintenance at the time such as painting and refurbishment so there was some noise in the day such as drilling. We didn't see this as a problem as we were out for most the day sight seeing. The Hotel staff were really nice, friendly and helpful during our stay . The breakfast was great as it was freshly cooked. Lastly the location was good as it was a quiet street and only about 10 minutes walk from the closest tube station. For the price we paid we were greatly satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed at Charlies Hotel at the beginning of June with a friend just for some overnight accommodation as we were going to a concert at the Emirates Stadium. I knew for the price I wasn't going to get five star service but I only needed a place to sleep so that wasn't a problem. Even with that being the case, I still expected better then what greeted me.

I found the service at the hotel rather cold. The owner seemed less then interested in us on arrival and was keen to shove us off, giving us a vague location where our room was. The search for our room started the alarm bells ringing as it was clear to see that the hotel was in a desperate need of a clean and a lick of paint. We found our room in the rather dirty basement (ironic seeing as there was a hoover abandoned in the middle of the floor). On opening the door, it was apparent that the door was less then secure and a child would probably be capable of breaking in to it. That's if one of the beds wasn't right behind it meaning you couldn't open the door and had to squeeze through.

Sadly, my early fears proved correct when we saw the state of the room. Just like the rest of the hotel, the room really needed cleaning and decorating. My pillow had a cigarette burn on it and it certainly didn't look recent and the floor was really grimy. The beds were old and springy making for a really uncomfortable night and the curtain sagged so far down from the track that even when drawn a large portion of the window wasn't covered allowing a lot of light in. I did get some sleep but t was so bad that I woke up more tired then I was the night before. The breakfast the next day was reasonable with bacon, beans, mushrooms, egg etc. but again, the staff didn't really seem that interested in their guests.

The en suite bathroom was by far the worst part of the hotel. The bathroom was really pokey and I really struggled to get in the room. The sink blocked access to the toilet making it a squeeze to get through. Someone very overweight would of just had to hold on as they wouldn't have been able to get through. That might not be a bad thing though as when you've used the loo, you soon find out that it isn't powerful enough to actually get rid of even a number one. Keeping up the theme of the hotel, the bathroom also really needed a clean and decorating. The tiles were breaking as was the mirror and you could tell they probably hadn't been wiped down for a good few months. The shower was even more of a disgrace with grime clearly visible around the whole unit. Given the state of the bathroom I decided it would probably be best if I just walked around London sweaty the following day and showered when I got home.

The only positive I can say about the hotel is that the location is quite good. It's just a 15 minute trip on the tube from Waterloo and then only about a 5-10 minute walk to the hotel. If you are staying for more then a couple of days though, the cost of the tube to get places might be a bit much.

I would highly recommend avoiding Charlies Hotel at all cost. Even at the price the hotel is very bad value for money. Some might be able to tolerate the poor conditions if they are just looking for somewhere to sleep for a night but I couldn't and I'm not sure that many others will either. I can quite safely say that I will never return to this dump.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank DMB01031985
Reviewed 7 July 2013

To begin, make sure you triple check your directions, most maps miss the essential turning. We booked this hotel, they took the money and they sent us an email to confirm booking.
On arrival day we got lost (see above) so had to ring hotel for directions and they had deleted our booking, luckily they still had a room available. We arrived and parked in the courtyard (if you have a low car or low exhaust you WILL catch it) and were given our key. The room was very basic and had 2 double and 1 single bed and a shower with a tile coming away from the side (no anti-slip bath mat) and a sink that you had to duck under the bathroom mirror to use.
There were no tea or coffee facilities, just a vending machine in the main hallway. The breakfast room was tiny and on the first morning we had to share a table with another room. breakfast was very basic with a choice of eggs, mushrooms, beans and bacon. Coffee was too strong as was the orange juice.
To be honest we were totally misled about this place and feel thoroughly let down. There was no room service apart from changing your towels and emptying your bins as the breakfast cup from the day before was still in the room when we returned late the first day. We also found a note telling us we hadn't paid, even though we had a receipt and email showing payment made. We were also not aware that Holloway Prison is less than 5 minutes away!!

To be honest I wish we had NEVER BOTHERED. And be warned, Friday morning we were woken at around 6 am by the dulcet tones of a screaming woman who screamed for a good 10 mins plus until another neighbour told her to shut up!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family