“Not what I was expecting”
Review of Hotel 261

Hotel 261
Ranked #326 of 558 London B&B and Inns
lake in the hills, IL
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the last few days of the Olympics. The GOOD things about it was that the price was fair, especially since most of the hotels were jacking up their prices due to demand. It also had a refrigerator which is important to me and they had some little cookie crackers and an orange juice next to the coffee maker. However, it was very old and rundown both coming into the hotel and also the room. The carpet was old, paint and tile not too great either. No phone or clock and when I went downstairs to ask for more soap and another towel (I was staying 3 nights so didn't want to use the same towel over and over as they literally only gave you 1 big towel. No hand towel, no wash cloth, just 1 shower towel to be used for every need...I wanted another one part way into my trip), I was told I was already given those items. :oO Um...OK, but the soap is now a tiny little chip of a piece and the towel has been used a lot due to there being nothing else. I begrudgingly got more soap but not another towel. I am OK with going cheap and such but this was just too bare bones for me. It also wasn't as close to the tube station as said. Yes, it's not very far from Shepards Bush Gardens tube but not Shepards Bush which was also listed as close. it's a 20 minute walk if you walk fast...not very good when you have a big suitcase to lug around. Overall, I wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
France
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We had a nice stay in this Hotel, I think they done refurbishment recently. Enough room size for 2 people and Value for the money in Olympics time. helpful lady in the reception and Hotel is clean and tidy . This hotel is near to central London and Shepherds bush shopping centre

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

1 Thank shaocheng h
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Convenient, well located, clean and good value.
Heathrow in 40 minutes at 07:00 on a weekday morning, excellent.
All the attractions of West London on your doorstep in the evening and within walking distance.
Rooms at the rear of the property, overlooking a green courtyard, are surprisingly and pleasantly quiet.
Basic and "compact" accommodation, everything worked and the staff were helpful and pleasant.
On arrival I got the "Ryanair" treatment of "extra" for paying with a debit card. Then when returning later in the evening I was told I also had to pay for parking my car in front of the hotel when off street parking at the time of my arrival and departure were free. Unfortunate and unimpressed. Listed as "available" facilities but not clear about additional costs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the property.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Reading some of the other reviews I wary about this hotel.

However, the location was ideal for me as I was going to a concert at Hammersmith Apollo. But it's also convenient if you want to visit the centre of London. Using a combination of getting a bus that stops outside the hotel to Shepherds Bush, and then underground on the Central Line you can be in the centre of London in less than 25 minutes. The area is fine and in general is safe, and Uxbridge Road has lots of small shops, takeaways and Shepherds Bush market is at the far end.

My room was on the first floor at the back of the hotel. Yes, the room was small and the toilet/shower room was tiny, but it was clean and towels were provided. The bed squeaked a bit and the matress wasn't very comfortable. There was a new flat screen TV on the wall that had a built in DVD player and had all the Freeview channels. Tea and coffee was available with a "clean" kettle.

This is 2 star accomodation and you get what you pay for - if you want luxury stay at the Dorchester!

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel are quiter.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank matt_pool
London
Reviewed 29 June 2012

hotel is clean and helpful staff, the lady in the reception . we got what we paid. coffee , tea , Juice and cookies in the room in the price , No breakfast in the Hotel. We enjoyed during our stay , 24 hrs open reception . I hope think this is the best price hotel in central london.
thank you for every thing.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

4 Thank juliana k
London
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Nice and Clean Hotel, Very friendly staff . Near to central london and 24 bus service available and secure area to walk around. Tea, coffee, cookies, juice in the room . I think that may be the reason not to providing the Breakfast. I hope i will come to this hotel when I come to London.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple