“The best place for breakfast in Mayfair”
Review of Katies - CLOSED

Katies
Cuisines: Diner
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I'm a regular here so am definately biased but I think this is a place to treasure.

Situated in some of the most highly priced real estate in the world, surrounded by some of most expensive restaurants and hotels in London, you can still get a full monty English breakfast with toast and coffee/tea for a fiver (£5).

The place itself is cafe style, cheap and cheerful not fancy in any way. The food comes fast and furious: a big mug of builders tea or reasonable coffee, hot buttered toast and then a massive plate of bacon, egg, tomato, sausage, beans and chips (my mouth is watering as I write this!).

Most of my friends who I take there struggle to finish it but if you are prepared it's no porblem...and for a weekend hangover breakfast this is ideal (they serve it all day in case you get up late).

Service is extremely efficient but still friendly. Customers are a real mix from builders to bankers, locals, visitors and office workers. Landsdowne Row is great for people watching as you eat or digest.

There is a full breakfast menue if you cant face the English (but you should try at least once) and they also do a good trade at lunctime in takeaway and sitdown lunches.

So forget your overpriced hotel breakfast and try this place for a taste of real London dining (and one of the great English contributions to world cuisine), you won't regret it.

Great value and highly recommended.

NB At night, this place is taken over by another operator offering coffees and hookah smoking but I have never been then to be able to recommed. Try this place for breakfast.

Date of visit: November 2011

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Went for lunch with my boyfriend. I ordered an omlette, chips and salad - the salad was mouldy. The waitress took it away and I asked them to discount the bill because of the mouldy salad. They discounted it by 50p! I refused to pay it but (although we were happy to pay for my boyfriend's meal) - but they wouldn't let me leave, and called the police. They then told me that there had been no mould on the salad; the waitress (having taken the evidence away) told me that she saw it but would be backing her manager. She then refused to talk to me. Before the police arrived, I agreed to pay the bill as I needed to get back to work - the managers (a man and his wife, I think) smirked and then charged us the full price - without even the 50p discount! From my first interaction with the manager, he was rude, patronising (calling me "honey") and aggressive, telling me that they work hard for their money, they can't afford to take my meal off the bill. He would not even listen to me. After we paid, as I walked away, he shouted, in front of his customers, "Indian white [--]!".

Date of visit: October 2011
6  Thank Neeva B
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Called in here when staying at the May Fair hotel for a coffee, felafel and a Shisha. Nice enough place but I nearly died when I got the bill. £26 for the above mentioned items, nothing more. When I questioned the bill I was informed my 10 puffs on 1 Shisha, 1 flavour was £15. Someone is definatley having a laugh. Never again. I have informed the hotel mgt to warn other guests to this mass rip off.

2  Thank Inspiration108
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Enough said- go, eat, smile!
It's great to be in Mayfair and get great food for breakfast at a truly 1980's price.

Reviewed 29 November 2010

If Ive got a meeting at breakfast time, I usually go the Wolseley : Its always reliable (although not excellent, I mostly find) and in the morning has a good buzzy atmosphere - ideal for a formalish meeting with food.

When I'm on my own or with close friends, however, I always go to Kaite's kitchen which, taking it all into account, I think offers the best breakfast in Mayfair. OK so its not a fancy place and you don't have to book but I think those are both pluses at breakfast time.

As for the food : there is a full breakfast menu (the place is open all day and does a good trade at lunch and afternoon as well) with a great choice from healthy to heart attack.

But really, you should try the (heart attack) full English breakfast when you are here : bacon, egg, sausage, beans, chips (fries) and tomato with a reasonable cafe latte (or tea) and 2 slices of toast and butter. How much for all of this in a prime location with attentive, quick service ? The answer is an amazing £5.

The coffee is hot, the food comes double quick and the service is friendly and attentive from the young, hard working team.If you cant face the full English, there are loads of other choices so its ideal whether eating on your own or with a group of disparate friends. As I've said in the title - the full breakfast should be a patented hangover cure.

Katie's is a cafe/diner not a restaurant so its basic and clean with wooden tables and chairs. You can eat outside (great in the summer) and in the winter or the rain they turn the outside area into a pleasant tented outside space so its warm and dry.

The food is great for the price but what I really enjoy about Katies is the people. I mentioned the (multi lingual) staff who are friendly and hardworking but the mix of customers is fantastic and great for people watching. You really do see everyone here : hedge fund managers from along Curzon Street, builders who are refurbishing office blocks close by, local Mayfair residents old and young, visitors and tourists staying at the many hotels in the area, office workers, chauffeurs, businessmen and women etc etc. Its amazing and enjoyable to see all of London enjoying hot, tasty, good value food in the same place - I only wish it happened more often. Even better, whilst eating, you see just as much life walking down Landsdowne Row ; I've seen celebs, models, millionaires, bankers, beggers, normal workers, retirees, tourists and tramps - fantastic.

So if you are living/staying anywhere close by, ignore your hotel breakfast and the Wolseley (either will cost £12 - 20) and go to Katies. It's cheap and cheerful but great value and you get to see and enjoy why Mayfair is like nowhere else in the world.It opens at 7ish, 7 days a week so there really are no (if you have trouble waking up, they still serve the full english all day).

Recommended.