“Top notch Middle Eastern Food!”
Review of Slemani Restaurant

Slemani Restaurant
Ranked #10,494 of 22,552 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Top notch Middle Eastern Food!”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We have visited Edgeware road a number of times to eat after days out in london, and always seemed to pass Slemani after we'd already eaten elsewhere, this time we went straight there and really enjoyed it, wondered why we'd not done it sooner!
The basics of the food are mixed platters of various BBQ'd meats, flatbreads that are ever-so-tiny-thin that they're almost crispy (in a good way), along with various other southern medeiterranean/middle eastern bits and pieces (vine leave etc).
I can understand why some people don't like it, its very authentic, and thats what the charm is! I always gauge 'ethnic' restaurants on if there are 'locals' in there, then its got to be a good place to eat, and that rang true here, there was a lovely family of middle eastern women with kids, all well behaved, quite happily chatting away amoungst an oriental couple, and us who couldn't have stuck out more like a sore thumb (two very pasty white english/welshies!)
Don't go expecting gourmet, do go and expect fantastic food, literally finger licking good, and a restaurant that you can happily chat away knowing that no-one is going to frown at you for laughing with your friends. All in all a lovely relaxed place to eat.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank welshiesgirl

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Middle Eastern Delight”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We had just arrived in London and were looking for a place near our hotel to eat and found this place. It is a very, nice, and clean decor with music videos playing on a big screen, which I was assuming were any Middle Eastern music videos, but not quite sure. I highly recommend the hummus, falafel, and chicken kebobs. All the food we had was very good though, and at a resonable price. If you like middle eastern food, you will easily love the food here. You can easily share this with a bunch of people. The service is also very good and friendly. Overall really nice way to end a long day of travel. It is by the Marble Arch metro stop.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank katbmon
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch at Slemani”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Had a very nice dining experience here, lunch with a friend, a very good standard of food in quality and taste. The waiting staff were friendly and helpful. We were both very happy with our food, I had the baba ganoush (aubergine dip) as well as an aubergine-based main course. My friend had houmous (it was okay, not as good as my home-made though, it never is as I like it with lashings of garlic) and a main course of grilled meat which she didn't finish (very big portions) so they put it in containers for her to take away and she enjoyed it later. I think the prices were reasonable. Nice decor, indifferent atmosphere (I wouldn't really expect a lot of ambience at lunch anyway).

It's quite local to me so I sometimes pick up the grilled chicken wrap for lunch which is £3.50 (sometimes with a fizzy drink thrown in). They do a lamb one as well but I think the quality of the chicken is better than the quality of the lamb. Nice salad and sauces and wrapped in a round pitta and there you have a tasty and filling lunch without going for the deep-fried fast-food rubbish.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Jazzers035
Agoura Hills, California
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Location is close by the Hilton London Metropole, and along shopping centers and many restaurants. We had just flown in from Los Angeles earlier in the afternoon, and didn't want to wander too far from our hotel.
Very good Iraqi-Kurdish restaurant. We were standing outside looking at the menu, and saw an item that interested us for £17, but decided that it was a bit pricey for just one person. One of the staff told us that the price was for 2 people, and plenty of food. We did not regret going in and eating there! Food was very good and plentiful, and so was the service.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank dragon789wv
“Fancy Kurdish/ Iraqi Restaurant”
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

This is the most upmarket Kurdish Restaurant I've been to in the UK. Candlelit tables, well-presented dIshes, unusual red lighting, waiters in shirts, live music... The food was delicious- we ordered their signature mixed grill, which was plenty for 2 people to share. The chicken tikka was particularly tender and tasty.

It was busy when we visited, but the staff were able to remain attentive. They neither hurried nor neglected us, and were friendly without infringing on our privacy.

The atmosphere was lIvely and cheerful, and for this I would return.

£6 for a pot of tea- in a culture where it's a standard way to end a meal- is a bit ridiculous. I've been to Kurdish restaurants in the UK where a post-meal tea is free.

1 Thank EmmJehy