“Try the breakfasts” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Holborn
London, United Kingdom
“Try the breakfasts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

A full English breakfast in a (posh) cafe called the French Kitchen may sound slightly obscene, but don't let the name put you off. They do a smashing Eggs Benedict too. The service is swift, and off-peak this is a great location for a low-key informal business meeting.

Visited August 2013

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Try the Mac n Cheese, it is delicious...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

A bit pricey this restaurant, but well worth it - try the mac n cheese with a side of fries, it is delicious. I am ashamed to say I always order a burger when I go out to eat, but here I tried something else and I am so glad I did. I would recommend booking ahead if you can.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
London
“Average French bistro”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

The first challenge with this place is what it's called. It seemed to have sneakily changed its name to Hush Brasserie between booking the table and arriving there! The result was that all our party walked past it several times. The location is a good one, however, being only a 5 minute walk from Holborn tube station.

My overall impression of the experience was average so if you want something reasonably safe in a central location, this may be for you, but don't expect anything stunning. It's not particularly good value - a group of us paid around £40 a head for a three course meal. The menu is primarily mainstream bistro with a few unusual dishes. Starters were of the asparagus and crab and avocado variety and mains typically steak and frites, chicken and frites, sea bass. All the food was OK nothing was actually bad but nothing special either. We had a couple of bottles of reasonably priced white wine. One small criticism of the dining room - which was generally very pleasant, open and airy - they have an open kitchen so your clothes do smell of cooking when you leave.

• Visited June 2012
Chicago
“A bit pricey but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We had two breakfasts and dinner here while in London because it was conveniently located next door to our hotel, The Citadines High Holborn. Actually, we had our first meal in London here. We ate breakfast as we waited for our room to become available. The food was quite good. The eggs were always perfect - not too runny or hard. The creme brulee was fantastic. I think it was even better than I had in Paris. The service was great each time we ate here.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Edgware, United Kingdom
“Only average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My wife and met up some of our US relatives for Sunday lunch. The food was only average at best. The crab and avocado starter was OK but small and not that tasty, duck confit was fairly good but lacked real flavour. My wife was disappointed with her choices too. Our US relatives were possibly too polite to say much about the food. At least it was good to see them and they were staying nearby so it was convenient. Some items on the menu were not available when we arrived at 1.15 PM, surely they had not already sold out, there were not many other customers. A Pimms was requested but the eastern European waitress said they did not have any fruit !

Only good if you cannot get in elsewhere.

• Visited May 2012