“Always excellent. Good value. Great Sunday Roast.”

Sophie’s Steakhouse - Covent Garden
Price range: US$14 - US$81
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Great steak, giant martini's & guaranteed fun. Open all day, ideal for business lunch, post work cocktail, a perfect pre & post show hotspot, fabulous dinner with friends or big blow out with a party. Our steaks are cut from naturally raised, native breed British beef, much of which we age & butcher in house. Whilst beef is our thing, we have other favourites BBQ ribs, grilled fish, roast chicken, fresh salads & amazing homemade puddings. We are all about the personal touch & great for any occasion.
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Reliable, always excellent brasserie style restaurant right in Covent Garden with the friendliess staff of any London restaurant I've been. We are regulars here when staying at the Hilton up the road and have never had a bad meal. Fish and chips, steaks and the chicken sandwich are our favourites as is the Sunday roast. Its a great place to go with family and friends as there is something for everyone on the menu. They don't take reservations but due to the large size and turnover its normally possible to get a seat and they serve very late I think too. Just a good quality, reliable restaurant that always delivers. Its not posh, just great quality brasserie style food. Highly recommended.

I'd like to add in many many visits I have never had bad service. This is a particular achievement for an area where staff are usually made up of transient students, struggling actors and overseas travellers. The staff are always happy and friendly, and either the training or management must be excellent to keep the staff so happy and smiling - they all seem to really want to be working there, something you don't normally find in London restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Sophie’s Steakhouse - Covent Garden

Reviewed 25 September 2012

We went here for lunch and was very impressed. Nothing too special but my missus got a Steak fritte with the best bearnaise sauce ever and I had the chicken pate followed by a burger.

The pate alone is worth going back for. It was very nice.

All the above came to just over £20. Unbeatable.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The food here was really lovely. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a ore theatre set menu to choose from but still we were not made to feel that we didn't matter as much as those paying loads for their meals. Would recommend a visit as a treat. Maybe a bit pricey for a family with children.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Lets just put it this way we got a porterhouse and a filet both came out as if they were sitting under a heat lamp for at least 45 minutes. Both were ordered medium rare and both were almost well done. When I complained a "manager" came over to us and started to explain to me....his exact words were "Sir let me explain to you how a porterhouse is cooked" ......if I was not there with my wife and her best friend there was a chance I would have hit that guy in the head with the bottle of wine we had on the table. Anyway TERRIBLE restaurant TERRIBLE food the meat itself if of extremely poor quality, and whoever was cooking .....well probably have never seen a piece of meat in their life before that day. Just so everyone understands we ate 1/4 of the Filet and maybe 1/3 of the porterhouse and send everything else back. When the manager came up to us he said what seemed to be the problem....I simply asked him did you see the meat that you served us......he said he did and did not find anything wrong with it :) Anyway anyone who is even remotely thinking of going to that place and who has been to a good steak house in the past please do not do that to yourself. I live in New York and travel all over the world, TRUST ME this was the worst steak I have ever had in my life. ACTUALLY I might even have a photo of that "filet" on my phone.....it was so bad I took a picture of it. If I do find it I will post it.

1  Thank Ilia K
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Recently visited Sophie's Steakhouse in Covent Garden after staying in the nearbt Waldorf Hilton on the Aldwych.

The afternoon menu offers many choices and the also have daily specials to choose from including soups, fish dish, pie dish and meat choice.

The food we had was excellent and the waitress was very attentive and was readily avaliable when we needed further drinks etc.

It is reasonably priced (for London that is!!) and I would recommend you give it a go.One bonus is that they don't take bookings, so you can just turn up and eat...and it is sometimes overlooked because of it's proximity to the main market at Covent Garden.

Overall a good dining experience.