“Great Value”

Ranked #5,809 of 24,429 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$11 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Named after the mythical island in the legend of King Arthur, The Avalon is a majestic pub and dining room. Serving a bold British menu, fine wines, excellent cocktails and well kept cask ales, The Avalon also boasts one of London's biggest and most beautiful beer gardens plus a sensational private room. "The Avalon is the pub to beat in SW12" Time Out Eating & Drinking Guide
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We visited the Avalon after work on a Tuesday, this did not stop it from being packed and full of life. The food was great and the waiter attentive, we had a 50% taste card so made it extremely cheap and a good night out.
I will return when the sun in shinning to sit in the large and popular beer garden.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have been to Avalon and although the service can be a bit slow at times the food is always of a fine standard. Please bear in mind this is a gastro pub and not a fine dining restaurant and should gage your opinions accordingly. If you are going for summer drinks there is lots of outdoor seating, the back garden being very impressive. This pub can get very busy at the weekends, a victim of its own success.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful beer garden,Friendly staff they offer a great service. Lovely food epecially the burgers and pizza! Loving the mixed fruit koppaburg but would love them to start serving elderflower&lime.

Thanks guys for a great time!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I absolutely loved The Avalon! I went there this weekend for the first time and really enjoyed my meal and the atmosphere. The food was perfectly timed and the staff were ever so lovely. The cocktails were delicious and the bar tenders so professional.. I would recomend this place to young lively people but also families. Oh I must mention that the back garden was beautiful and so peaceful. Lovely Lovely restaurant/pub. A must try in South London .

1  Thank Sweet_M167
Reviewed 20 June 2014

What a shame. This place could be great but I'm afraid the waiting staff ruin the place. Being a hot day today we thought it would be nice to come here and sit in the garden but it seemed like the waiting staff/management were not prepared for people to come on a hot sunny Friday afternoon and looked totally overrun with 20 people in the pub! We had to help ourselves to Menu's and then after 20 mins of not being served had to wave our hands to try and get some attention. When we then asked about the 'Specials' the guy didn't have a clue so we then waited another 10-15 mins whilst he found these out. We had a small child but again we had to ask for the Children's menu (another 5 min wait). Ridiculous! Also, one of the reasons we came here is that they take the 'Taste Card'. I checked the conditions of use and was happy they accepted it on a Friday Lunchtime but on presenting the card our server told me it wasn't accepted without a booking and also could only be used in the dinning room. When I asked if he was sure he was adamant that it couldn't be used and told me to look at the 'right website' to get my facts on the cards use. Luckily the Manager was near and overheard and came over and corrected the server but I can't help feel bad about the entire encounter that I was made to feel a fool and hadn't done the proper research. Did the server apologise? No, I had to ask him to say sorry which he did without a shred on sincerity. It's disgraceful. This kind of shoddy service isn't right and has left with a very bitter taste in my mouth about the entire experience. Great service is a great thing and can really enhance what might be an average meal. The food is at best very average so this place needs to deliver on service and it simply doesn't. Rude, abrupt, obnoxious, incorrect aren't the qualities you want in waiting staff but this lot have these skills in abundance. AVOID.