“nice hotel - but marred by teething problems”

Apex London Wall Hotel
Ranked #46 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 February 2010

After the other Apex up near Tower Hill, we came to the new one with high expectations. Sadly, the hotel had only been open a few days, and our time there was marred with teething problems and a less than optimal response to them from the staff. Construction was still going on, so there was a fair bit of the usual residue (dust, noise, paint fumes, etc), and it was clear that a lot of the internal systems were yet to settle down. Housekeeping was a problem - after a long day trip to Cambridge, we returned to find the room hadn't been cleaned, and had to call to request it. The following night we returned (after 6pm) to find housekeeping actually in the room, so we had to wait for them to finish. The concept of two towel sets (one bathmat, two bath towels, two hand towels, two facewashers) seemed beyond them and they didn't manage to get that right on any of the three nights.

When going downstairs to have a chat to the Duty Manager about all not going to plan (intending to be somewhat understanding about the teething issues in a brand new hotel but indicating it really wasn't what we expected from Apex) we were fobbed off to the head of Reception who seemed to think the solution was complimentary breakfast the next day (when we really just wanted some attention to the deficient areas).

It only hit me on the last day that, in trying to be absolutely perfect, they were putting themselves under so much pressure that they were missing the basics. Everyone needed to relax a little and concentrate on getting the important things right.

I'd still recommend this hotel if you want a place right in the middle of the City (where it's nice and quiet on weekend but close to everything you'll want to see) - judging by other reviews, it looks like they've ironed out some of the initial problems from when they first opened.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,029)

Reviewed 9 February 2010

I stayed for one night at the Apex London Wall Hotel in the first weekend in February, as I was attending a one day course in London. The hotel is close to Moorgate, Bank and Liverpool street stations; it was only a few minutes walk away from Moorgate. I booked my room through LateRooms.com, and got a good price for central London on a Deluxe Double Room, breakfast not included.

After I made my booking, and some time before my stay, I had an e-mail from the hotel, which included a link to their website, which had a handy location map, and a city guide to London. I thought this was a nice touch. The guide on the website also lists nearby attractions, but doesn't mention places to eat out. I'd read on TripAdvisor that many nearby restaurants and cafes would be closed over the weekend, and that was indeed the case. I arrived in London with a bad cold, and wasn't up to eating out anyway. The hotel has good, free wifi. I could use Google Maps to look for places to get food, and ended up making a short walk to Liverpool Street Station, where more cafes and shops were open, and getting some salads, fruit, etc, from the Marks and Spencer food shop there. I could use the in-room fridge at the hotel to keep my food fresh. This was very handy.

As a result of that, I didn't use the hotel's restaurant or 24 hour room service. If I'd wanted to, I could have ordered breakfast separately to my booking, but I didn't need to do that either.

The hotel room itself was very spacious and well appointed. The overall impression I had was of relaxed luxury and comfort. I liked the decor, especially the use of colour, contrastic fabrics and textures, the rug on the floor, the details on the coffee table, the desk chair that tilted back, the lampshades, the cushions. It was tasteful, but still had some character for a hotel room.

There are large floor to ceiling windows, which can give natural light. These can't be opened without a key, but I could have contacted reception if I did want them open, which I didn't. The room is climate controlled, so I could adjust the temperature to my liking. The fan wasn't silent, but was very quiet. There was a sitting area with a comfortable sofa. There were magazines on the coffee table, to read (GQ and Marie Claire, the Economist, and a London-specific publication.) A Bose sound dock for mp3 players. Two large flatscreen TVs, so I could watch TV on the sofa or in bed. A Blue Ray player. You can borrow some Blue Ray films from reception, for a £20 deposit, which is refunded when you return the discs. There was a list of several films to choose from on a sheet of paper on top of the Blue Ray player.

There was tea and coffee making facilities, including some decaf coffee, and also some nice snacks, like a little box of gourmet jellybeans, some biscuits, good hot chocolate, and a small can of Pringles. There were bottles of still and sparkling mineral water. There's a very small ice-cube tray in the fridge. It takes a long time to freeze, so if you want to use it for drinks, fill it with water early in your stay. There's an in-room safe, which was handy for storing my laptop when not in use. Also, a hairdryer, and an ironing board and iron, and a laundry service.

The lighting in the room is low-level, and you can get the illumination you want by turning different lights and lamps on and off. The bed was on the firm side, which I'm OK with. There were 4 large, very fluffy pillows, and 5 cushions. Because I had a cold, it helped me to sleep upright. I was able to do that with the pillows and cushions. There's slippers and a bathrobe. The bathroom had a bath and a large, walk-in shower. There were nice toiletries, including shampoo and condition, rather than a two-in-one. There was a heated towel rail, and lovely, large, fluffy towels. Look in the bathroom cabinet if you want a mat for the shower, a shower cap, etc.

There's also a little free, blue Apex rubber duck sitting next to the bath. You can take this home with you. It doesn't float upright, because it's top heavy, but it's a cute and charming souvenir of my stay!

The hotel was relatively quiet at night. There was a little music playing either from another room, or from somewhere nearby, which I could more from the bathroom. But when I got into bed it was only a very faint sound, and didn't stop me sleeping.

As for the service at the hotel, I had a warm, friendly and professional welcome upon checking in, and the process went smoothly. The member of staff who helped me carry my bags, and who showed me the amenities in the room was also friendly and helpful. I felt relaxed and comfortable almost at once. Checking out at the end of my stay was also quick, easy, and problem-free.

All-in-all, I had a very pleasant stay. I'd be happy to use the hotel again, and to recommend it to friends and others.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I can say nothing more than this hotel and all the staff we met are fantastic. Stayed over weekend with my better half (who is very fussy in every respect).

Had a beautiful room, not much of a view but had a pleasant south facing balcony, especially welcome to a smoker like myself (all non-smoking rooms, as is to be expected these days). Bathroom great, more than enough space for two in the tub, and the shower as well. Toiletries simply supperb.

Had small problem with climate control in early evening(uk is very cold at the moment), one call to a very bubbly receptionist and someone was with us in minutes, more professional but still very friendly, even managed to suggest i stop going onto the balcony without a hint of insult.

Complimentary newspaper and shoe polishing greatly appreciated. Not much in the local area at weekends, but this made it better for us, is near tourist places though.

Thank you to all at Apex for giving us the relaxing and romantic weekend (and for the duck / smurf hyperbreed)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2010

We'd been invited to a friend's birthday party in the private dining room of this new boutique hotel. We decided to make a week end of it, and spend the night, so the hotel arranged two adjoining rooms, one for us and one for the kids. At 10 and (nearly) 8, the kids are old and sensible enough to be left alone in this smallish hotel, and they could have called us on the phone, or asked reception to come and get us if there was any problem.

The hotel is not aiming specifically to be child-friendly, but despite that, the staff were very friendly and courteous and the children were made very welcome. The bar meals include dishes which are more kid friendly (gourmet fish fingers and chips, or sausage and chips) than others.

The rooms are modern with huge TVs, and although small, are not nanoscale like most London hotels.

The meal we had in the restaurant was nothing short of superb, and the service was excellent. The "private dining" room is really a glassed-off partitioned are area at the end of the main restaurant, so not totally private, but the arrangement works well. Our party stayed until well after the other diners had gone to bed (or we had scared them away), and despite this the staff showed no sign of trying to chivvy us along.

Since the City of London is a strange deadzone at the weekend, you can get some excellent week-end deals, if you don't mind travelling to the West End. It was fun walking around the City with the kids though - we stumbled across a film shoot at Leadenhall Market, and saw some enormous cranes in action lifting things out of the Bank of England (maybe a major heist was under way). It's also a reasonably short but interesting walk to Tower Hill to see the Tower of London and Tower Bridge.

The extras - room service, breakfast and the bar - are pricey - but not ludicrously so.

I would definitely consider going again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I stayed two nights at this hotel in January thanks to an excellent rate at booking.com. Room 309 was very nice - kind of a split level suite with two huge flat-screen televisons on each side of the room. Staff (mostly Polish) could not have been nicer. In fact, after the first night, I asked if I could upgrade to a nicer room which they allowed without me having to pay. This room was 703 with an amazing view over the City of London. Even though this hotel is in the business district, it is very close to two tube stops so very easy to get into the centre of London. Fantastic all around.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2010

We have regularly stayed in Apex hotels and never been dissapointed. Chose this one for a pre-Christmas break following a e-mail offering very reasonable opening rates. It's quite tucked away but very convenient for Liverpool Street Station and Moorgate tube. A warm welcome at reception and a very smart room. Huge flatscreen TV, walk in shower, bath and free internet access were among the highlights. Although it is in the City which is quiet at weekends, there is a resonable choice of restaurants around. Breakfast was OK but quite pricey so only had it one morning. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2010

The standard of cleanliness and service at this hotel is excellent. The staff are couteous and helpful. The hotel is quiet yet has all the amenities one should expect and a good restaurant and pleasnt bar area. It opened in November 2009 so most Taxi drivers don't seem to know of its existence and apparently the taxi route to this hotel is not straight forward compared to the city one- I have nothing negative to report at all and will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business