“Another excellent Apex, another excellent stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Apex London Wall Hotel

Apex London Wall Hotel
Ranked #44 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London
“Another excellent Apex, another excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

Having stayed at the other London Apex at Tower Hill I was curious to try the new one at London Wall so when an offer came through (£102 for a deluxe room) I was happy to road test it.

As with TH, rooms are beautifully designed and furnished. Quiet despite lots of people staying, 2 TV's, and Blu ray/DVD player. Spacious bathroom with walk in power shower. Superb service at reception, bar and room service (breakfast). Friendly, charming staff all round. Discreet turndown service (I was out but 'gradually' noticed!). Choice of a la carte or full english breakfastfor £10. Efficient, effective air con/heating.

Wonderful beds and pillows.

Location is less 'handy' for tourists/leisure travellers however. 5 mins from Moorgate or Bank stations and numerous buses but no Tower of London on the doorstep. Lots of buses though.

Only v minor 'princess' quibbles - instant not real coffee, and no shower cap/cotton wool, complimentary paper delivered but not in bag! Not deal breakers however.

(I don't understand the comment about building - there is no building work going on and everything is still immaculate as you might expect of a hotel open for 3 months.)

Limited food choice (although room service is reasonably priced) - but you are 10 mins by bus or 20 mins on foot from reasonably priced restuarants at St Pauls and there is a scattering of restos and fast food places nearby.

I am looking forward to staying again as soon as diary permits.

• Stayed February 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2010

Cool interior - food horribly inferior - service non existent.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Orlando22
Guildford, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

The other Apex in City of London is already a favourite and this new hotel is even better. Breakfast is served, not a buffet, with highly attentive staff keen to serve you seconds if required. Romms are lovely with beautiful bathrooms and a huge tv screen with plenty of channels. Free water and biscuits and a fridge rather than a rip-off mini-bar. Cocktails excellent and reasonably priced for a top hotel in London. Interesting location; great for BARBICAN concerts. 76 bus from Waterloo and easy access to lots of bus routes. Staff outstandingly friendly and helpful.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

I stayed at the hotel recently for one night in February. Before booking I'd visited the hotel and was kindly shown the superior and deluxe rooms. Both were absolutely fantastic, clean and very stylish. I've seen other more expensive hotels which just don't compare to the standard of rooms that the Apex London Wall has to offer. In the end despite booking a superior room, to my delight I was upgraded to a deluxe room for free. The room was spacious and nicely laid out with a simply stunning bathroom and two large flatscreen TVs. Throughout my stay, the staff were friendly and always had a smile on their faces. My girlfriend and I had an amazing weekend and the hotel definitely earned me a lot of brownie points! We would definitely go back there in the future. and my only regret is that we didn't stay there longer!! So if you're after a luxurious hotel for good value then look no further than this hotel.

Southampton UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

This is an excellent hotel, which is in a very quiet area at the weekend. Surrounded mostly by banking offices and large offices, it's an 2 easy tube stops from the centre of everything, but quiet once you are back in your room., Great breakfast and very helpful staff. Worth staying here compared to prices charged in a more central location.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2010

After the other Apex up near Tower Hill, we came to the new one with high expectations. Sadly, the hotel had only been open a few days, and our time there was marred with teething problems and a less than optimal response to them from the staff. Construction was still going on, so there was a fair bit of the usual residue (dust, noise, paint fumes, etc), and it was clear that a lot of the internal systems were yet to settle down. Housekeeping was a problem - after a long day trip to Cambridge, we returned to find the room hadn't been cleaned, and had to call to request it. The following night we returned (after 6pm) to find housekeeping actually in the room, so we had to wait for them to finish. The concept of two towel sets (one bathmat, two bath towels, two hand towels, two facewashers) seemed beyond them and they didn't manage to get that right on any of the three nights.

When going downstairs to have a chat to the Duty Manager about all not going to plan (intending to be somewhat understanding about the teething issues in a brand new hotel but indicating it really wasn't what we expected from Apex) we were fobbed off to the head of Reception who seemed to think the solution was complimentary breakfast the next day (when we really just wanted some attention to the deficient areas).

It only hit me on the last day that, in trying to be absolutely perfect, they were putting themselves under so much pressure that they were missing the basics. Everyone needed to relax a little and concentrate on getting the important things right.

I'd still recommend this hotel if you want a place right in the middle of the City (where it's nice and quiet on weekend but close to everything you'll want to see) - judging by other reviews, it looks like they've ironed out some of the initial problems from when they first opened.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
York, North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

I stayed for one night at the Apex London Wall Hotel in the first weekend in February, as I was attending a one day course in London. The hotel is close to Moorgate, Bank and Liverpool street stations; it was only a few minutes walk away from Moorgate. I booked my room through LateRooms.com, and got a good price for central London on a Deluxe Double Room, breakfast not included.

After I made my booking, and some time before my stay, I had an e-mail from the hotel, which included a link to their website, which had a handy location map, and a city guide to London. I thought this was a nice touch. The guide on the website also lists nearby attractions, but doesn't mention places to eat out. I'd read on TripAdvisor that many nearby restaurants and cafes would be closed over the weekend, and that was indeed the case. I arrived in London with a bad cold, and wasn't up to eating out anyway. The hotel has good, free wifi. I could use Google Maps to look for places to get food, and ended up making a short walk to Liverpool Street Station, where more cafes and shops were open, and getting some salads, fruit, etc, from the Marks and Spencer food shop there. I could use the in-room fridge at the hotel to keep my food fresh. This was very handy.

As a result of that, I didn't use the hotel's restaurant or 24 hour room service. If I'd wanted to, I could have ordered breakfast separately to my booking, but I didn't need to do that either.

The hotel room itself was very spacious and well appointed. The overall impression I had was of relaxed luxury and comfort. I liked the decor, especially the use of colour, contrastic fabrics and textures, the rug on the floor, the details on the coffee table, the desk chair that tilted back, the lampshades, the cushions. It was tasteful, but still had some character for a hotel room.

There are large floor to ceiling windows, which can give natural light. These can't be opened without a key, but I could have contacted reception if I did want them open, which I didn't. The room is climate controlled, so I could adjust the temperature to my liking. The fan wasn't silent, but was very quiet. There was a sitting area with a comfortable sofa. There were magazines on the coffee table, to read (GQ and Marie Claire, the Economist, and a London-specific publication.) A Bose sound dock for mp3 players. Two large flatscreen TVs, so I could watch TV on the sofa or in bed. A Blue Ray player. You can borrow some Blue Ray films from reception, for a £20 deposit, which is refunded when you return the discs. There was a list of several films to choose from on a sheet of paper on top of the Blue Ray player.

There was tea and coffee making facilities, including some decaf coffee, and also some nice snacks, like a little box of gourmet jellybeans, some biscuits, good hot chocolate, and a small can of Pringles. There were bottles of still and sparkling mineral water. There's a very small ice-cube tray in the fridge. It takes a long time to freeze, so if you want to use it for drinks, fill it with water early in your stay. There's an in-room safe, which was handy for storing my laptop when not in use. Also, a hairdryer, and an ironing board and iron, and a laundry service.

The lighting in the room is low-level, and you can get the illumination you want by turning different lights and lamps on and off. The bed was on the firm side, which I'm OK with. There were 4 large, very fluffy pillows, and 5 cushions. Because I had a cold, it helped me to sleep upright. I was able to do that with the pillows and cushions. There's slippers and a bathrobe. The bathroom had a bath and a large, walk-in shower. There were nice toiletries, including shampoo and condition, rather than a two-in-one. There was a heated towel rail, and lovely, large, fluffy towels. Look in the bathroom cabinet if you want a mat for the shower, a shower cap, etc.

There's also a little free, blue Apex rubber duck sitting next to the bath. You can take this home with you. It doesn't float upright, because it's top heavy, but it's a cute and charming souvenir of my stay!

The hotel was relatively quiet at night. There was a little music playing either from another room, or from somewhere nearby, which I could more from the bathroom. But when I got into bed it was only a very faint sound, and didn't stop me sleeping.

As for the service at the hotel, I had a warm, friendly and professional welcome upon checking in, and the process went smoothly. The member of staff who helped me carry my bags, and who showed me the amenities in the room was also friendly and helpful. I felt relaxed and comfortable almost at once. Checking out at the end of my stay was also quick, easy, and problem-free.

All-in-all, I had a very pleasant stay. I'd be happy to use the hotel again, and to recommend it to friends and others.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business