“Charming oasis in kings cross” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rough Luxe Hotel

Rough Luxe Hotel
Ranked #227 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Fittleworth, United Kingdom
“Charming oasis in kings cross”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Small rooms but very comfy beds and quiet for area. Run by charming leo who was very helpful and hospitable .Lovely breakfast in courtyard very continental.
This would not be everyones cup of tea very shabby chic but individual and fun.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angelina688

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

When I told my snobby English cousin that I was staying at the Rough Luxe his response was: "Boutique hotels are just an excuse to overcharge you for small, shabby rooms with no service." Well, cuz, you're right and wrong. The Rough Luxe's rooms are small, but they're shabby chic, and although you won't get the kind of service you can expect in a full-size hotel the staff are very sweet and accommodating.

The property is an old, converted small hotel done in a quirky, artsy style. There's no lift, so beware if you have heavy luggage, and there's no air con, although the rooms are provided with Dyson fans. There's free wifi and a great breakfast. The location is very convenient to transportation, just across the street from the King's Cross and St. Pancras stations. It's not a terribly glamorous hood, but there are a handful of restaurants and bars in the side streets that seem to be leading a vanguard of artsy gentrification.

All in all, it's a good choice if you're 1) looking for something reasonably inexpensive in London (which is always hard) that isn't a hostel or a lower-end chain and 2) you think you'd appreciate its offbeat charm.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We loved this hotel for our 3 night stay. It is unique, a little differrent, cute , fun etc. The location is excellent, with train, bus and Tube stations a few steps away. We are failry experienced travelers, and had a great time. The breakfast served anytime is great if you like European style breakfast, with breads , cheese jams, etc.
The small staff is very friendly, the garden cute.
The baths were excellent and roomy. The "beds" are unique oversized sofas that sleep like a bed. The rooms are small, but functional. If you need a Marrriott don't stay here.
There is no elevator.
There are several local pubs and eateries that we enjoyed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different so ask before you book.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RanDeb16
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Looking for lodging in London is eye opening. London is an expensive city and getting around London is costly. We were arriving from NYC to London for an overnight before the chunnel to Paris and stopping back for a day and a night before returning to NYC. Rough Luxe popped up in NY Times, Travel and Leisure and a search for boutique hotels. The choices in London are overwhelming. We were looking for a temporary home that was convenient to the Eurostar and Rough Luxe stepped up to the plate. The website was funky and inviting, but really you never know until you arrive. Paying for lodging often creates a disingenuous experience, you are paying to be treated with courtesy but really would rather be treated like family. Again, I do not like the premise of hotels but they are a necessary evil. At first I reflexively thought of trying to find a bed and breakfast ,but really do I want warm muffins made from a mix and phony friendliness over tea. I was traveling with two young performing artists, an interior designer and I was put in charge of planning. Rough Luxe delivers way beyond the magic of the website. We were greeted in a welcoming way and felt at home immediately even though we arrived at about midnight. Antonio - a former lawyer recruited from Spain-helped with our luggage and advised that breakfast begins at eight and is served throughout the day-whenever the guests want breakfast. Our suite with a center bathroom surpassed my expectations and was full of surprises as was every nook and cranny of this marvelous establishment. The linens are indeed finely woven linen, the toiletries-mm-I can still smell the lotion, the books beg to brought home and this bit of larceny is encouraged. There is a special award winning lamp in the entry way and there is an Anger Release machine in the office. The staff-Leo and Antonio are the proud, knowledgeable overseers and we were treated like dignitaries-special beverages, passes, information,luggage transport, tips and a full tour of the establishment. The breakfast was delicious, fresh, the honey is from beehives on the roof-pastries, toast, eggs, jam, yogurt, fruit, carrot/orange/ginger libation-fabulous coffee, lattes, espresso-whatever you wish and as much as you wish. I could go on and on but really you should just reserve and go and be amazed. We spent a week in Paris staying with a friend in a luxurious apartment in the 1st-but we all could not wait to get back to our special hideaway a stone's throw from St. Pancras.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are incredible.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Finder33146
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

Really enjoyed my 2 night stay at the Rough Luxe. The guys running it are great and the location is very handy. It is quirky and interesting and brings a fresh idea to a very busy market in London B&B's.
Couldn't fault the service however, I think although I enjoyed the Rough part of the hotel the Luxe is a little difficult to find. My TV didn't work and the noise from outside was a little overpowering. The rooms are interestingly decorated and the beds and bedding are nice. I guess the point is that for not much more than is being charged for a 'half-finished' look you can stay in a 5 star in London. For me, the interest and quirkiness does not quite make up for the lack of 'luxe' at this price. I think it is trading on some good reviews on TA and charging a little too much for what you get.
Having said that, I would consider staying there again, but I will shop around first.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank stewandkim
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

Firstly let me say that Rough Luxe is not going to be to everyone's taste. If you want pretty florals and matching borders then this is NOT FOR YOU! If you don't 'get' the aesthetic then you might be a little freaked out as there's definitely something a little 'Rigsby' about the place... However, if you want something different, quirky and in it's own way extremely beautiful then it's well worth a visit. It is either perfectly situated a hop, skip and jump from Kings Cross and the Eurostar, or in a slightly dilapidated noisy area depending on your outlook. It was certainly perfect for us, especially as we were allowed to leave our luggage at the hotel after check out, and pick it up on our way to the station. I can't express strongly enough that there was much that the owners of this hotel have got very right indeed. The staff are brilliant and possibly the best I have ever encountered in any hotel anywhere in the world. It's also worth mentioning that the breakfast was also possibly the best I have had ever, anywhere, and what's more it is served all day. (Though it would have helped the ambiance in the tiny basement dining area if there had been some kind of background music, as dining was so intimate cheek by jowl with other residents that it was slightly awkward in complete silence.) However there were a couple of things that would make me hesitate booking again. Firstly, we had to share a bathroom. Admittedly this was made very clear before our arrival, but we almost cancelled as a result. I'm glad we didn't as it wasn't as bad as I'd envisioned, but I think we got lucky as the person we were sharing with appeared to arrive late and leave early. But however 'quirky' a hotel might be, I did feel that bathroom sharing was really going out on a limb in 2011. What if the sharer was ill, or drunk, or just hogged the lavvy? And while the bathroom was excellent, I did have the quickest shower of my life, just in case our sharer was getting desperate. This really took the edge off the luxe experience. It struck me as an odd choice to lay out the hotel this way, as it was clear that had the two tiny rooms sharing the WC been combined, it would have made for one decent sized ensuite. I understand they were trying to make every inch of room profitable, but it really felt like it and it would only really have been acceptable had the room been super-super-cheap. Which it wasn't. My other quibbles were also the size of the bedroom. I don't normally have an issue with small rooms, but this was barely bigger than the double bed. Again, just about acceptable for an overnight stay but no good if you need somewhere to house lots of luggage or indeed spend your wedding night. And whilst it was kind of amusing to have a 1970's black and white portable TV, the aesthetic really wouldn't have been compromised by having a flat screen digital with a remote and it would have added a few more much needed 'luxe' points. Possibly the strangest oversight was the lack of any kind of mirror in the room, especially as we were sharing the bathroom and didn't want to hog it using the mirror in there. Also, it would have helped make the room appear larger and brighter. So although there was a high powered hair dryer available, I had to dry my hair without a mirror which made for a really bad hair day that nearly ruined the trip. There was also no handle on the door, which made opening the (heavy) door really tricky and I nearly lost a finger when it slammed shut on me. So I'm not sure if I'd stay there again, which is a shame as there was much to applaud in this exceptional little hotel. If they ditched the bizarre toilet sharing arrangements, put some mirrors up and kept the pricing competitive I'd stay there every time I was in London for sure, just for the fantastic breakfast and exceptional customer service alone. As it is, I think I'd seriously consider bringing my own mirror and a potty if I was to chance it there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

Ideally located (5mn walking distance from St Pancreas Eurostar station), tiny but super confortable bedrooms (pillows a sheets are ****), very good brakfast with everything you want (fresh bread, croissants, pains au chocolat, home made orange jam, freshly squeezed fruits juice etc ...), large courtyard-garden with tables to enjot a drink, a free coffee etc ... And a succesfull design with a mixture of old furniture & contemporary paintings/glassware/sculpture ... And : such a friendly welcome by the staff, aware of the latest "spots" in London, looking after you as if you were friends ... Thank you Antonio! I have found THE hotel in London when I'll come during my next stays!
Bruno & Hélène (from Paris)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends