The Walrus Hostel
Hilton
  • Pool
US$232
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$195
US$324
US$256
Autograph
  • Room Service
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
US$184
galahotels.com
US$371
US$350
  • Restaurant
All reviewswaterloo stationbig benlondon eyebar downstairs isfree towelsfree breakfastbring earplugsgreat locationlambeth northtop bunkwestminster abbeycommon roombunk bedswalking distancethe ground floorfresh fruitstayed here for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 February 2012

The owners of the hostel are very nice and helpful. There's a bar/ lounge on the ground floor, which I couldn't hear from my room on the first floor. My friends and I stayed in the 16 person room, which was fine. There are 8 sets of bunkbeds, and mine was surprisingly comfy. Pillow, duvet, and sheets were provided, and towels were available upon request. The shower in the 16 person room had okay water pressure, but the temperature alternated between comfortably warm and extremely cold. They were, however, clean, which was very good. The toilet stalls were located in a separate room, which was not heated. It wasn't a big deal, but it was kind of uncomfortable when changing. The stalls were pretty clean and well-stocked with toilet paper. They provided lockers for our belongings, but bring your own lock. The lockers were big enough to fit my backpack, but not a larger suitcase, so make sure you're okay leaving some stuff out of the locker if you bring a big bag. There is a kitchenette on the upper floor, but we didn't use it, so I can't comment on its quality. Overall, it was a great place to stay for the weekend, and I've already booked another weekend stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This place is great! I lived in London four years (where flatmates are the enemy, always embroiled in squabbles over toast and bathrooms), but never felt as much at home as in this hostel, where the staff are really friendly, the guests are fun, people stay in touch after their stay and hang out with the staff on their own time, and there's always a good atmosphere. Breakfast is a good touch and the bar downstairs has a welcome homey feeling. The staff are ready to go that extra mile to help you out with whatever you may need.
Location is the best part - waking up dead centre next to the Thames is something few can enjoy in this city - but it comes at a price as there's a lot of noise from trains coming in and out of neighbouring Waterloo station mere feet from your sleeping head. Rooms are well-outfitted, though, all have lockers, and some have ensuite showers.
I'll be staying there every time I go to London (every couple of months) from now on.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Flqrgle N
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I arrived at this hostel tired and cranky after being unable to find its location (my fault; I'm directionly challenged :p

Alex immediately calmed me down, checking me in and oriented me to nearby attractions.

This hostel is ideally located near the center of London--walking distance to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye. The Tube (subway) station is nearby to carry you to anywhere else that you'd like to go.

Reception area is funky and cool......very lively at night, if you like that. I'm a little long in the tooth for that scene, but upstairs was quiet and serene. Included hostel breakfast (the usual continental toast, cereal, coffee) was plentiful. I shared a four bed coed room; there were never more than three of us in the room, and often only two. (Please keep in mind that I traveled in October, which is not peak season in London.) Beds were comfy with nice (not FLAT!!!) pillows. One of the people I roomed with agreed that there were more than enough toilets and showers (with nice HOT water!)

I do have to advise anyone staying here that hostel is directly *under* the Tube line. I knew this from Tripadvisor reviews before I left, and brought earplugs, but never needed them. First, I was exhausted after a day of sightseeing, and when I did wake up, I found the sound soothing. (After awhile, you don't even notice it.)

Staff went out of their way to help me. The plug adapters that I brought from the US didn't work, but staff had extra on sale there. Also, the clock on my phone wasn't working; staff gave me an unused *in the box* alarm to borrow!!! My roomate and I had a problem connecting to their free WIFI, but they spent much effort in order to finally get it working for us.

Area also has many cheap to go food outlets as well as a laudromat down the street.

DO take advantage of the hospitality of this lovely place.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank lovetotravel1018
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I turned up at the Walrus Hostel and booked in for one week and ended up staying there for over 3 months. It is one of the best locations in London near everything you want to see in London and the Tube station also a nice part of London so your able to come and go late at night. You are provided with a key so able to have complete freedom with goign out. Both Alex's couldnt be any more helpful any problems or questions are answered straight away. The bar downstairs is also really nice with a good atmosphere and reasonablly priced drinks.
The beds are comfy and lockers are provided for any valubles, this is the Hostel to stay at in London weather it be for a night or longer. I fully intend to stay at the Walrus again when I return to London.
Oh and if that all wasn't enough it also includes a good breakfast with biscuits, tea, Coffee, ect!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank gumasole
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hostel was in a great location for both walking and the metro. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. The free wi-fi was available up in the rooms unlike the other hostels we stayed in on our journey. The beds were semi comfortable and squeaky. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and would consider returning.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends