“Great corner in the South Bank”
Review of The Walrus Hostel

The Walrus Hostel
Ranked #36 of 896 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Fantastic hostel in the south of the city, with a good pub inside it. Clean, affordable and with a great staff. Linen, towels and the breakfast are included. If you need an adaptor the staff wil be pleased to give you one. Discounts on the beers and in a close restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Walrus Hostel

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I chose the Walrus because it was known for meeting people and the friendly staff and it is so known with good reason and my expectations were surpassed. The staff is incredibly friendly and offer advice on seeing London and make delicious Walrus-named cocktails (at a discount if staying the night); a bonus was an association with a restaurant down the street (also offering a discount). Within a couple of hours I had met 4 other solo travelers from all across the world with different stories and seeing the city lights with them. After staying two nights, I left my luggage there for 3 days to explorer England. When I returned it was like coming home with a homely greeting as I walked in and with a cancelled bed there was an opening for me to stay. One day I hope to return to the Walrus.

Room Tip: Many negative reviews are based on the noise from the adjacent Waterloo train station they do offer...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Very cute, quirky little place. Staff were super friendly & very helpful with directions, tips, etc. Great location, in walking distance to everything.The room we stayed in was very, very close to the train station which was a pitty because it was one of the only downfalls of the hostel. Breakfast was free & very good. Bathrooms were average, but at least you have privacy, as they are individual bathrooms, not blocks, but girls beware, bathrooms with wall sockets are scarce so get in early! Overall very great experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've stayed here for 10 days and honestly, as a first hostel experience, it's a pretty freaking good one!!

It's clean and comfortable, a cute little place. No lifts which is a bummer but the staff are happy to help carry bags up and down stairs if you're struggling! The staff are all SO nice and are really interesting people. It's in a really good area as well, easy to get around and close to 2 tube stations (but in London, where isn't)

I think the key to a good stay at a hostel is the company you keep. Heaps of really cool people have come in and out of this place. The bar is super cool and plays AWESOME music!! The one thing I will say is that the shower sprayed a bit but it wasn't bad so i really don't care. Wifi was great too!

Will definitely be coming back here should i need to stay at a London Hostel!!

Room Tip: I was in room 32 - a 6 person room - i probably would recommend not staying in the 18 bed room as pe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank stellulah
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I've gotta be honest, because reading the reviews on TripAdvisor before I stayed at the Walrus Hostel and my experiences in other hostels across Europe made me expect this place to be much nicer than it was, and I'm kinda pleased that I stayed there only one night...

I was pretty disappointed with the bathrooms/showers at The Walrus. They were way too small, not that clean and the whole place is fairly smelly. I think this has to do with the age of the building though - you couldn't really call it a 'modern' hostel. Some extra ventilation is definitely needed throughout the building (I was there in the height of summer and it was a full house so things were a little unpleasant). Unlike other hostels I have stayed in, you wouldn't want to spend much time relaxing in your room as it's just not that kind of place.

There were good things about The Walrus though - the staff were friendly, the location was great (in close proximity to both Lambeth North and Waterloo Underground stations), the wireless Internet was decent and the breakfast was pretty standout with lots of options.

So all in all, not a terrible stay, but I'd suggest booking somewhere else if your priorities sound like mine. I think The Walrus could become a great hostel with a bit of a renovation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I had a great stay at the walrus last august. The staff were welcoming and the small but quirky bar below gave the place a wonderful atmosphere. While I managed to sleep through the trains which pass by metres from the bedroom window I did speak to some people who said the train situation seriously disrupted their sleep. Another minor, but mentionable issue is the weird shower situation. Some of the showers don't really function as showers should and are waaay too tiny! I couldn't even lock the door! I thought they were ornamental showers when I first arrived. Luckily there are a couple of descent showers with space to hang up your towel etc., you just need to search for them. Otherwise, I do recommend staying at the walrus hostel. For me personally, the welcoming, quirky vibes and great accessibility overrides the negative points.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed here for just one night but it was a positive experience. There staff are great, it has a nice atmosphere, good bar, lots of other travellers to meet, and perfect location. The only downside to the location is that you can hear the noise of the trains- be sure to bring earplugs. Other than this everything was perfect, I'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends