“Mouldy hostel in the shadow of Waterloo Stn”
Review of The Walrus Hostel

The Walrus Hostel
Ranked #37 of 824 Speciality Lodging in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mouldy hostel in the shadow of Waterloo Stn”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I don't know why people review The Walrus so favorably. It's easily the worst hostel I've stayed in. The hallways wreak of mould, and so did my room. It's very old. Waterloo Station is just a few hundred meters away so you hear trains all night and early in the morning.

The bathroom was a positive, and the location was pretty good. I won't be back. I couldn't wait to get out of this hole.

1 Thank ExiledWanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2013

When looking for hostels in London, I specifically looked for a hostel where I would be likely to meet people up for experiencing the city with me. I was not disappointed. The staff were fabulous and made me feel right at home. I was in a mixed-10 person room where I was quickly able to get a group together and head out. On recommendation from the hostel bartender we were able to catch some of London's best Wednesday nightlife. Sleep was great, the train tracks are right out the window, but I didn't notice them. Location is great, just a short walk over to Big Ben and the London Eye. I would definitely stay here again!

3 Thank Snoopycat781
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Fantastic hostel in the south of the city, with a good pub inside it. Clean, affordable and with a great staff. Linen, towels and the breakfast are included. If you need an adaptor the staff wil be pleased to give you one. Discounts on the beers and in a close restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I chose the Walrus because it was known for meeting people and the friendly staff and it is so known with good reason and my expectations were surpassed. The staff is incredibly friendly and offer advice on seeing London and make delicious Walrus-named cocktails (at a discount if staying the night); a bonus was an association with a restaurant down the street (also offering a discount). Within a couple of hours I had met 4 other solo travelers from all across the world with different stories and seeing the city lights with them. After staying two nights, I left my luggage there for 3 days to explorer England. When I returned it was like coming home with a homely greeting as I walked in and with a cancelled bed there was an opening for me to stay. One day I hope to return to the Walrus.

Room Tip: Many negative reviews are based on the noise from the adjacent Waterloo train station they do offer...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Very cute, quirky little place. Staff were super friendly & very helpful with directions, tips, etc. Great location, in walking distance to everything.The room we stayed in was very, very close to the train station which was a pitty because it was one of the only downfalls of the hostel. Breakfast was free & very good. Bathrooms were average, but at least you have privacy, as they are individual bathrooms, not blocks, but girls beware, bathrooms with wall sockets are scarce so get in early! Overall very great experience.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've stayed here for 10 days and honestly, as a first hostel experience, it's a pretty freaking good one!!

It's clean and comfortable, a cute little place. No lifts which is a bummer but the staff are happy to help carry bags up and down stairs if you're struggling! The staff are all SO nice and are really interesting people. It's in a really good area as well, easy to get around and close to 2 tube stations (but in London, where isn't)

I think the key to a good stay at a hostel is the company you keep. Heaps of really cool people have come in and out of this place. The bar is super cool and plays AWESOME music!! The one thing I will say is that the shower sprayed a bit but it wasn't bad so i really don't care. Wifi was great too!

Will definitely be coming back here should i need to stay at a London Hostel!!

Room Tip: I was in room 32 - a 6 person room - i probably would recommend not staying in the 18 bed room as pe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank stellulah
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I've gotta be honest, because reading the reviews on TripAdvisor before I stayed at the Walrus Hostel and my experiences in other hostels across Europe made me expect this place to be much nicer than it was, and I'm kinda pleased that I stayed there only one night...

I was pretty disappointed with the bathrooms/showers at The Walrus. They were way too small, not that clean and the whole place is fairly smelly. I think this has to do with the age of the building though - you couldn't really call it a 'modern' hostel. Some extra ventilation is definitely needed throughout the building (I was there in the height of summer and it was a full house so things were a little unpleasant). Unlike other hostels I have stayed in, you wouldn't want to spend much time relaxing in your room as it's just not that kind of place.

There were good things about The Walrus though - the staff were friendly, the location was great (in close proximity to both Lambeth North and Waterloo Underground stations), the wireless Internet was decent and the breakfast was pretty standout with lots of options.

So all in all, not a terrible stay, but I'd suggest booking somewhere else if your priorities sound like mine. I think The Walrus could become a great hostel with a bit of a renovation.