“Amazing!”

Ranked #37 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
Park City, Utah
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Not just is the location perfect but the staff are the most amazing and helpful people I've ever met. Beds are comfortable, and rooms are dark even during the day if you re jet lagged and need a nap. No place I've ever been have I had such grade A service. Highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank TheTJExperience

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Was my first time in Europe when I stayed at this hostel. Staff was courteous and helpful, rooms and beds were clean, and they provided food and discounted drinks at the bar. Bathrooms were ok. Showers barely worked and hot water was a rare occurrence. A few of the toilets were broken too.

The atmosphere at the lounge was fantastic. Had tons of fun with my hostel-mates. Would definitely stay here again.

Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was my first stop in London and I loved it. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the manager Alex is a gem. I arrived just after 10am and he upgraded my room and let me have it straight away which was fantastic as I had just arrived after a 12hr overnight flight and hadn't had any sleep so I was bombed.
The place was clean and homely and had a good vibe. I was in a 4 bed female dorm on the third floor and was very happy. It is close to Waterloo Station so there are trains going close by the building but my room was on the side away from the train lines so it didn't bother me but I could see that some may find it too noisy but everywhere in the middle of London is noisy.
The location was great, close to Waterloo and Lambeth North tube stations, buses go right by, there's a bike hire station just across the road or you could easily walk to the London Eye, Southbank and Wesminister area.
The price was quite good and included breakfast and wi-fi in your room.
I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking to stay in London city.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

The walrus hostel is in a great location in the city, and is situated very close to a tube station. I arrived before check in time, but the staff were incredibly sweet and allowed me to store my luggage and relax on the main floor while I sorted out a map of the city and my plans for the day. Alex and Jacob answered my many questions, and were as helpful as can be :) This is very important to me, as I've stayed in hostels before with very cold, miserable staff and it definitely puts a damper on things. There are trains that travel by very close to the Walrus, so it was a bit hard to nap during the day (to get over my jet lag). But the trains had stopped by the time I went to bed at midnight, so I ended up having a good sleep. Everything was very clean, and although the hostel was full, I always had access to a washroom when I needed one. I'd definitely recommend this hostel to anyone wanting to stay in a central location in London!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauren_skye
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Great place to stay. The hostel was very clean and had a homely feel. The free breakfast was very welcoming each morning before heading out. The staff were outstanding helping carry suitcases up the stairs, knowledge about the area and other touristy things. Even when you came back from being out for the day they asked how was your day. The Bar area is awesome to relax meet people and have a drink! (the bar staff remembered my drink every time lol). The Trainline didnt bother me as i had earplugs.

The Hostel is in a great location to Big ben, the london eye.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Nikkir1994
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I don't know why people review The Walrus so favorably. It's easily the worst hostel I've stayed in. The hallways wreak of mould, and so did my room. It's very old. Waterloo Station is just a few hundred meters away so you hear trains all night and early in the morning.

The bathroom was a positive, and the location was pretty good. I won't be back. I couldn't wait to get out of this hole.

1 Thank ExiledWanderer
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

When looking for hostels in London, I specifically looked for a hostel where I would be likely to meet people up for experiencing the city with me. I was not disappointed. The staff were fabulous and made me feel right at home. I was in a mixed-10 person room where I was quickly able to get a group together and head out. On recommendation from the hostel bartender we were able to catch some of London's best Wednesday nightlife. Sleep was great, the train tracks are right out the window, but I didn't notice them. Location is great, just a short walk over to Big Ben and the London Eye. I would definitely stay here again!

3 Thank Snoopycat781