“Good location and good value.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel

BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #772 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good location and good value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Me and my best friend have just stayed here, on a last minute break. We paid the bargain price of £63 per night, and we really enjoyed staying here.

It was very close to the tube station, only round the corner, and is on the same street as the Overground, which is a bit slower and less convienent, but does go straight to Euston, so very easy for train travelling. There was also a Tesco and Starbucks opposite and a good parade of shops and pubs.

Rooms were very modern, super clean, and our room was huge. we had a stairs area, bedside cabinet distance between beds and a huge desk where the television and kettle was. The en suite was also large, included a bath. Was lovely and comfy and the free and fast Wi Fi was a great bonus. The staff at reception were friendly.

A few cons to point out, the main being that our room was in the basement. it was very unnatural as we had to have all the lights on all the time, whenever we got back, the room was always pitch black, and it was very difficult to get up in the morning without natural light, we had to set alarms. As we were only staying 2 nights during the Olympic period, we didnt bother complaining, but I would if I stayed again. We also had to pay a £50 deposit to cover "extra services" which were promised to go back into my back account in a few days, and was annoying as we didnt even use anything like the mini bar, telephone or room service.

Room Tip: Ask for a window!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your kind review.

It is very rewarding for the team to see such positive comments following your recent stay with us.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

P Kennedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Absolute joke! Booked online the day before and on arrival was made to pay a £50 fee to cover the mini bar?! The mini bar in room was EMPTY! Was told the £50 would be refunded within 24 hours after checkout, took 8 days to go back in bank!! The foreign blonde lady also made an extra charge to make the money go back in account quicker, it didn't! I don't like liars!

Rooms were too hot but clean and windows would not open. Lifts smelt of sewers.

Good point of hotel was close proximity to tube and central London access, plus Starbucks directly across road.

No car park though and nearest secure parking was £40 for 24hrs!!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review.

I was disappointed to see that you were concerned about the deposit that we take on arrival.

As we have facilities such as a telephone in the room & a bar we have a policy of taking a deposit that it is returned to guests & I believe that it is fair to say that happened in this case as you have noted that the money was returned to you.

P Kennedy

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here for 3 days and found it to be conveniently located, its literally a 1 min walk from the Kilburn High Road overground station.

Check in was fast. The standard double room I was small compared to other hotels, mine had no windows. It might be a tight fit for couples traveling with a lot of luggage. It was well furnished, very modern and well maintained. There's free WIFI in the room, pretty fast which is a big plus. Bed was very comfortable and there's no outside noise.

Breakfast was included with my stay. It was nothing to shout about but served the basic continental offerings.

I would definitely recommend staying here if its a short visit and you need to live close to central London.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review.

I was delighted to see such positive comments following your recent stay with us & it is also very rewarding for the team to hear such nice feedback.

Bromsgrove
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I booked this hotel on behalf of my company for 3 members of staff to stay in London. We booked this hotel for 2 nights, but on the day we were due to stop had to cancel the rooms booked for that evening but kept the rooms for the next night. The hotel has now taken the monies from our account and the manager is refusing to speak to me after leaving many messages with the hotel. When we cancelled the hotel it was 3:45 pm so managed to get in before the 4:00 pm deadline for cancellation. They have now turned round and said we rebooked the hotel for the next day aswell which is a lie. Currently trying to sort this out but the hotel manage is not very forthcoming. shame really as wont use this hotel now from a company point of view.!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I was disappointed to read your review as I was not aware of any issue.

I am more than happy to investigate this matter so please contact me directly at gm@maitrisehotels.com & I will look into what has happened as a matter of urgency.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

We have just had the pleasure of staying here for a night and it was excellent.

Our concert at hyde park was cancelled but we chose to come to london any way for a night out and this was our base.

The receptionist that checked us in was very friendly and we were shocked with how nice the room was for the rate we paid on lastminute.com.

We requested an iron and board which was bought up to us very swiftly and they bought us an ipod dock to use during our stay. The room was spotless and there was no problem with the aircon at all, lots of reviews on here suggest otherwise maybe they didnt know how to use it. The bathroom was also of a high standard with a lovely rain shower...

If you want a very nice hotel in london without breaking the bank you cant go wrong with this place.....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deanbrookes
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read your review from your stay with us.

It is always so refreshing to hear such positive comments about our hotel as we take so much pride in this beautiful property & we hope that our service is second to none.

I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us & I am very hopeful that you will return to us soon so that we can welcome you back.

Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

My stay was for only for one night and despite having a windowless room in the basement I would certainly consider staying here again.

I booked via LastMinute.com and got a very reasonable rate - when we arrived at the hotel (at about 1030am - yes early I know, but sometimes rooms are available) we just wanted to leave our bags so we didn't have to carry them around until the official check-in time. The female receptionist was happy to accept our bags. However, she did say that the hotel had not received our booking from LastMinute.com - but not to worry, as they had one room available for the night so yes , we could leave your bags and she would sort it out - which she did.

When we returned later in the afternoon I was surprised to see that our bags were still behind the reception desk - I would have expected our bags to be put somewhere out of sight, but every was intact. It was a different receptionist and she was equally as helpful as the one in the morning - check-in was easy and we were given a door pass card for room 001 (so that's room 1 in the basement) my heart sank.

There are I think 4 or 5 room in the basement. The door pass card also has to be placed in the slot in the wall to turn onyour room lights (this is pretty much standard these days). However in room 001 the slot is behind the door so there way major fumbling in the dark trying to find it. Fumbles in the dakr can be fun though and we giggled our way to card slot.

Once illuminated, we saw the room was nicely decorated, modern chintzy style, and the room was average sized with a nice big TV - sadly all the cables for the telly and Freeview digi-box were disconnected - it took me about 15 minutes to get it working - I was desperate to get it working to distract my partner from the fact that there wasn't a window to look out of - at least television is a window on the world, so thank you QMH for ensuring we had a big screen in lieu of curtains.

Next, the bathroom - gorgeous - generously sized too with a plentiful supply of lovely towels. The shower/bath was easy to work - with lashings of hot water and a powerful shower. Body wash, shampoo and soap etc all supplied (the body wash dispenser didn't work though) so I showered in shampoo which was nice and frothy.

The tea and coffee was well stocked which is great as I hate it when hotels only supply two of everything - so thank you.

The bed was very comfy and there were plenty of pillows and cushions. We both slept very well indeed (but with no window it was like waking up in the middle of the night - turned on the telly again to confirm it was breakfast time).

The room was not too hot or too cold thank goodness - I could not work out the aircon controls to save my life, so thanfully I didn't need to adjust it.

The room seemed to be well insulated acoustically, as we didn't hear any sounds coming from neighbouring rooms or the bar overhead.

After a good nights sleep we went up for breakfast, which was very good and very reasonably priced for the moderate size of the full English and Nordic eggs Benedict - and again as much tea and coffee as you need.

Checking out was easy too and the lovely man on reception (he'd been on all-night) was very pleasant and took genuine notice of what we had to say about our stay.

The location is great; there are plenty of shops, bars and restaurants in the area. It is well connected for the tube, train (Paddington is 4 stops away from Kilburn Park tube station) and buses.

Yes, I will consider staying at the QMH again, but I want a window next time please.

I say YES - DO STAY.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above ground level - if you require a room with a window
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review.

It is delightful to know that you enjoyed your stay with us & reading it here in black & white makes us very proud of all the hard work we out in to ensure our service is second to none.

I have spoken to Reception about your bags being left at the desk as we have two lockable areas so this should not have happened.

I do hope that you plan to return to us in the near future & I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed in the Quality Maitrise Hotel for only one night booked through last minute.com as we were only in London for 1 night and needed somewhere fairly cheap to stay. A good hotel in a very bad location.

Our room was very hot to begin with but once we turned the air conditioning on the room started to cool after about 30-45 minutes but please note you may have to leave it on the entire night as the room will quickly return to sauna temparatures once off.

On arrival we were told the lift was broken so we had to carry our bags up the stairs but thankfully we were only based on the first floor so we didn't have long to walk but any higher it would have been a lot of work.

Also on arrival they took a £50 deposit from us just incase we decided we liked their kettle more than the one we had in our house and decided to take it home. This I have no problem with because they can't guarantee the room will be in the same condition as they left it but what I don't understand is on check out them telling us "you will get your deposit back in 9-15 days" what? That's a lot of days to be holding onto my hard earned cash. 2 weeks is a long time!

Why a bad location you may ask. First of all the hotel has no onsite parking so if you have a car you are forced to park on the surrounding streets. When we arrived we parked our car on one of the side streets leading to the hotel, literally a 2 minute walk from the Quality Maitrise Hotel and as a precaution we always ensure nothing of value can be seen just by looking into the car. In the morning we returned to find our car had been broken into with one of the passenger windows smashed in! luckily we had removed any valuable content from the car and as a result only a small amount of money was stollen. The car was left in well lit area right in front of some nice looking houses, you know the georgian style houses with large windows. Anyway to cut a long story short when the police arrived they informed us that our car was not the first one to be broken into that night and went onto say once they finish with us they would be literally walking around the corner to help another person whos car got the same treatment.

If you stay at this hotel and need to park your car in any of the streets surrounding this hotel then you might well find that your car is the local attraction in the morning as people stop and stare at the big hole in your window. We were very lucky as our car is fitted with a very loud alarm system which I couldn't imagine gave the the idiot enough time to fully inspect the car.

I will say again a nice hotel in a very bad area, beware!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple