“Search engine advisor dot com?”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #800 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I am not sure who I am most annoyed with. The hotel management or Priceline, the booking engine where I bid for a 4 star hotel and have at best got a 2 star. I have to suffer this place for another two nights.
Let's forget about the techncial faults like the double glazing that fell out and the water that doesn't drain properly down the shower tray.
Let me concentrate on the the sloppy staff and rip-off policies. Like the fee of £4 to use the luggage room or the extra £5 if I want to have eggs for breakfast. I thought I had breakfast included but apparently I only get continental breakfast.
Then let me mention the staff who appeared in their coats at 7.15 on Monday morning when the breakfast is supposed to start at 7.00; the chef having to apologise that the staff had not yet arrived for work.
This is not a 4 star! The bar doubles as a breakfast room. The accomodation is tiny. There is no parking. There are none of the usual international 4 star facilities. I guess the moral of all of this is don't use Priceline. Maybe someone should start a "Search Engine Advisor dot com."

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your review.

Naturally we are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay or felt let down by the hotel. Priceline is a thrid party booking site, we do not have a direct affilation with them and bookings come to us via another channel who they work with. All agents which we work with are given a full description of the hotel and it's facilities.

When you make a booking you can choose to book a rate with continental breakfast or you can upgrade to the Full English breakfast rate which is £5.00 more, this is for any slection from our a la carte menu but it gives the customer more choice.

We apologize for the staff being late at breakfast, unfortunately London is a very busy place with alot of commuters and very occassionally this happens.

We are located very closely to another 4* hotel which charges rates 4 times per night what we charge so we think we offer good value for money.

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

A friend of mine visiting London from the US booked this hotel for both of us through Priceline (where you make a bid and then get what you're given). The room we were given was a twin- but with no window. The very small room (006) is in the basement. I have no idea how you would escape if there was a fire. I shall be looking to see if it actually is legal.
Although the booking was made and paid for 3 nights, I couldn't stand it and left after one night.
Horrible.

As for the hotel in general- very clean and modern, staff lovely, beds comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't book a twin. We were told they are all in the basement.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your review.

The hotel has 7 twin bedded rooms which are located in the lower ground floor and obviously they do not have windows. The rooms are advertised as such. We are not able to comment on how you make your booking via priceline as they are a third party site.
There is a fire exit located in the ground floor and hotel has full and annual risk assessments done so all legal grounds are covered.

I am glad that you found other aspects of the hotel to a good standard such as the staff and the comfortable beds.

Thanks for completing this review, we appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel in November 2012 for my partners birthday, upon arrival we were sent to our room - we weren't even shown to we're we would be staying (It doesn't take much) on the way we walked past a room that had dirty plates full of food on the landing - these plates stayed here during the duration of our stay! 3 Days!!!! Online I booked a VIP room, which I payed a lot for - clearly this was not what I received, more like a box room with just enough room to get out either side. I personally would not recommend this hotel unless things changed

Room Tip: Please avoid!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James E
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you for writing us your review.

Unfortunately the receptionist cannot leave the desk to show all of the customers to their rooms, they point you to the lift and tell you which floor you are located and there are signs throughout the building.

I am confused by the dirty plates you claim were in the corridor for three days. The hotel only swerves breakast in the dining room. On viewing the CCTV in the corridors i cannot find plates anywhere and all of the rooms and corridors are checked daily by the head house-keeper.

We admit that our rooms are not large, we do not advertise them as such hence the difference in price to standard rooms is £10.00. We do however feel that our rooms offer a comfrotable stay with all the facilites you would need, completed to a very high standard with quality fixtures and furnishings.

We thank you for sharing your opinion with us and we appreciate the feedback of all of our visitors to improve our services.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Not sure if it is a 4 star quality hotel however I was very happy with my stay

Yes the rooms are small compared to what I normally stay in but there was enough room to store our belongings and freely move about

Good overall design of the rooms

Negatives - Room gets hot easily, crack in one of the tiles in bathroom floor.

I wasn't aware of needing a £50 deposit upon check in for damage, however it is put on hold not actuallt taken out of your account I was told

Staff very helpful and professional, breakfast was as expected for a continental.

Would stay again

Room Tip: If going travelling via train, don't get off at Kilburn tube stop as it is a 15 minute walk. Use...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review following your stay. Feedback is important to us to continue to improve our services.

We feel that the hotel offers good value for money compared to many hotels who charge more for poor quality.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future and if you call us directly we offer better rates for return customers.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

4-star hotels do NOT DO the following:
-this hotel used MCDONALDS napkins at the breakfast tables.
-they charge you extra for hot breakfast and the free continental is weak.
-the rooms are tiny - i.e. no room for your suitcase and my bathroom had zero counter space.
-they actually re-folded my damp towels that i had left on the floor (as if i wouldn't notice)
-no lotion
-no automated wake-up so the guy at the front desk does it manually and you end up with a late wake up call.
-the hallways smell bad and instead of solving the problem (open the windows, change the carpets) they cover it up with air freshener.

Now, if they were just honest about their true identity as a "decent 3-star hotel" and priced accordingly, I wouldn't mind the above. The place is close to the tube, has a boutique-feel, staff friendly and is generally clean. The reason we all get angry (check the other comments) is because you expect a lot better from a 4-star.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Anne A
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed overnight at this hotel whilst in central london on a business trip. Small room with a double bed crammed in but the bathroom & toiletries were a pleasant surprise. FREE INTERNET access gets a BIG thumbs up as it enabled me to video conference using Skype with family and make VOIP calls. Didn't have dinner at the hotel but the breakfast was reasonable for a continental spread.

Used Booking.com and their staff went out of their way to assist after I booked the wrong date in error. The General Manager at the hotel has been very generous and granted us another stay pre-xmas for a small premium. All in all value for money and proximity to central London (Bus 98 which you can catch from the doorstep of the hotel takes you straight to Oxford Circus and all the retail therapy you need) are their USP.

Room Tip: Book ahead and compare prices including ringing the hotel directly
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Unrudimental
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thanks for your review, we value our customer's feedback to improve our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2013

All reviews are spot on about this hotel - the rooms are small including the bathroom. We got a "VIP" room but we did not see anything special and the concierge did not mention the extra benefits we get from this. The main positive is that it is clean and the bed is a true double bed (as opposed to 2 singles put side by side) and quite comfortable but that is it. The rest are pretty average (lots of people mention about the window. Ours was tiny and all we could see was birds droppings on the window sill). It is close to the train station but 30 min from London central.

Room Tip: Can't say much. However, self service laundry is next door which is convenient for long stays
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple