“Beyond the decor a very basic hotel”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #767 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Beyond the decor a very basic hotel”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Booked in for a 5 night stay. first room I had been allocated (112) had a problem with no hot water from the shower. There were damp patches on the ceiling where the room above had obviously leaked at some stage and one of the electric sockets by the tv was not functional either. The staff were very helpful and assisted me in changing rooms (212) above on the second floor. Smaller room but shower worked (later found out that when booking you need to specify if you would like a shower or bath as you don't get a room with both). I found that the mattresses in both rooms that i stayed were cheep. There were silverfish in the bathroom, and i found an insect on my bed, but quiet honestly could not be bothered to complain and go through the hassle of another room change. Continental breakfast was basic and repetitive. I really did expect better quality as this was not a cheep stay. In my opinion the hotel promotes itself as trendy and modern, however beyond its look the quality is very basic and substandard. The hotel was in a prominent position, with everything on the doorstep, plenty of choice eating out and extremely great value for money at nearby restaurants. Plenty of transport options too. Would not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: As long as the shower and electric sockets worked i would chose to go back to room 112, located on t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

On arrival we were met by a helpful and friendly receptionist this could also be said for all the other staff, It is obvious a great deal of money has been spent upgrading this hotel into a very modern and stylish hotel,The room was clean and had all the facilities you would expect to find in more expensive hotels, The inclusive breakfast was adequate, if you wanted a cooked breakfast there was an additional menu with a varied choice for which you paid extra; overall a good value hotel.

Room Tip: room 6 is in the basement, no windows but has the advantage of being very quiet, good air con.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fawad S, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your positive review with the trip advisor community.

I was delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and our staff memeber's looked after you to their best ability.

I was also very happy to hear that you found our basement rooms really comfortable although there are no windows they are still very comfortable and well equipped.

We will look forward to welcome you again at the hotel in the near future, perhaps you can contact me directly for better rates at the hotel on 0207 625 8532.

Once again thank you for your kind review.

Regards,

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I was here for one night this week - and really enjoyed my stay. I travel to London quite frequently and see this hotel as a really affordable future choice.
It's close to public transport - both London Overground and the Tube - and relatively close to the centre by London standards.
The area was good too - the slightly 'alternative' vibe of Kilburn, but you can also walk to Swiss Cottage. And you're just around the corner from Abbey Road.
The room was small - but good for me as I was travelling alone. Clean and well furnished. Quiet - but I wasn't overlooking the street.
The free wifi worked well.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your positive expereince with the trip advisor community. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future and better rates, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02087993850.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of January. The hotel was very clean and in a good location close to the tube and overground train. It also had a starbucks and a tesco express across the road.
There's also a bar up the road called 'The Betsy Smith' which had great cocktails and nice food.
The staff were very quiet and didn't say much other than asking whether we wanted coffee or tea with our breakfast.
They also werent much help when at around 12am my other half needed a drink of water so he went downstairs to reception and then said they couldnt help him. So he had to go roaming the streets to find somewhere that was open just to get a bottle of water.
However, the hotel was alright for a late trip to london for 2 nights.
I would try somewhere else next time though.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel amenities and complemented the cleanliness and the location of the hotel.

I will surely pass your comments to my housekeeping team which I am sure they will be very proud of and will motivate them to provide even better services and better cleaned product.
Was very sorry to hear that you found our breakfast staff very quiet normally it’s the other way around however this will directly be picked up with the restaurant supervisor to make sure the moral is up in the team to provide best possible customer services.

With regards to the nights incident it was disappointing to hear that your other half was told that we can’t help to get him a bottle of water which is just not acceptable from a guest point of view I have picked this up with my nights team and this issue will be resolved and we will make sure we have got some bottles available in reception if a guest requires anytime.

I would suggest to give us another chance and we will show you how we operate as a team, perhaps you can contact me directly at the hotel and I will be able to offer you a better rate for your next stay.
Your sincerely,
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

I booked indirectly online and managed to get this for £130 for 3 nights, so I'm basing my review on this.

As other reviewers have said, the rooms are definitely on the small side. I was by myself so not a huge problem but would have felt cramped if the OH was with me. I also had the room overlooking the brick wall, but being out all day meant this wasn't a problem. The rooms are well decorated although probably in need of a fresh coat of paint as a little scuffed in places. The rooms are well equipped, with a/c and a fridge for you to use. Decent bathroom with excellent shower and heated towel rail, and a very comfortable double (queen) bed. The hotel is very quiet so I slept extremely well.

The area it's in is fine. We'll served by public transport (tube and rail) with plenty of options for eating out too. I'd definitely stay again - especially at the price I paid.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, we are definitely looking to get the rooms re painted very soon in and you will be happy to know that we take our guests feedback very seriously. you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 0207 625 8532 for better rates for future bookings.

Your's sincerely,

Fawed and Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I went with my partner to this hotel and paid on the day, but when we went to the room it was absolutely tiny! He is over 6ft and could barely move it was ridiculous. Instantly, we went downstairs and asked for a refund, nothing had been used in the room and it was so claustrophobic in there, we wouldn't have stayed the night. The woman at the front desk wasn't very helpful, only giving us the option of another room which had an even lower ceiling so was not a better alternative at all!!! Then, we were told we would need to speak to the manager about a refund who I have contacted over 5 times. He then gave me the contact information of a more senior person, who has yet to reply to one of my 4 emails. RUDE! Poor customer service. No consideration for the customer's comfort or pleasure, didn't seem to care one bit that we were leaving completely furious. Would not stay in such a rubbish place again, try and work on your customer service!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Clean hotel with friendly enough staff. The location is good, close to bus and train options and with an M&S food shop nearby for supplies. I asked for a 'quiet' room and definitely got that. But the room itself, though modern and nicely furnished, felt small and dingy as a result of the brick wall 6 feet opposite the window and the dark styling (I paced out the room to prove to myself that it was a reasonable size and allay a growing sense of claustrophobia). Continental breakfast was disappointing, with unappetising bread and a limited selection, but it did the job. Overall, it was overpriced, but was probably the best of a bad bunch available at the last minute and reflective of the arrogant overpricing that goes on in London hotels generally (in my humble opinion).

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo