“Tiny room with no window and very small bed”

BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #794 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Beijing, China
“Tiny room with no window and very small bed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked this hotel through Priceline where you can make a bid. I bid for a 4 star hotel, but at best got a 3 star. The room we were given was a standard room on the third floor, but with no window. It made me felt very claustrophobic. The room (306) was tiny with very little space around the bed. The bed was just 2m*1.4m. The hotel was not clean enough, I found hairs on a towel, and the quilt was yellow, somewhere black. A male receptionist was not friendly enough, maybe a little rude.
If they were just honest about their true identity as a "decent 3 star hotel" and priced accordingly, I wouldn't mind the above.
The cost of the room includes a breakfast and Wi-Fi. The continental breakfast was just okay, there were toasts, cold meats, very small croissants and yogurt. The yogurt with fresh fruits was good.
The hotel is close to the tube (Kilburn Park Station), and it takes 5 minutes to Paddington by Bakerloo line.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Li D
Fawad S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with the trip advisor community.

After reading your comments I can clearly see that you weren’t happy with your stay due to room size and the fact that you weren’t able to open the window made it claustrophobic.

In your opinion the hotel should be a 3* hotel, however I would like to bring this to your attention we are rated quality 4* hotel and normally all our services are classed to be of very high standard.

with regards to the room size the room you booked via bidding on Priceline was standard double room, generally most of London 4* hotels the same size of a standard double room and where you have mentioned the price we are known to be priced very competitive in the market normally cheaper than other similar 4* star hotels in London as it was part of a bidding not sure how much Priceline charged you for this booking which may of pushed you to this dissatisfaction.

Where you have mentioned about the windows in our defence we have clearly advertised on all our extranets that our windows do not open due to council restrictions, however to make sure all our guests have a comfortable stay all our rooms are fully air-conditioned.

However I was very sorry to hear about cleanliness issues and would like to really apologise for it. I can assure you that all the above issues are addressed to the head housekeeper and she has assured me that this will be rectified by extra checks and refresher trainings in the future.

I have also passed this review onto my reception team and firstly they were very surprised to read about the rude receptionist as they all work very hard to make sure all our guests needs are met however as we do not have your details we don’t know who has dealt with you but the positive thing is they all have assured me that they will make sure none of the guests will have such feeling again.

Dear guest once again I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope the above incident haven’t marred your perception about the Quality Maitrise Hotel and we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

For guaranteed best rates please contact us directly on 0207 625 8532.

Many Thanks
Fawad and Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel room was as I expected. Small but very functional. My only complaint was when we arrived the gentleman in reception said if we wanted to go to our room which was ready we would need to pay 10 pound to check in at 12:30. I thought that was outrageous but we were tired and wanted to get settled so we paid it. I was annoyed by this charge. I have never been asked to pay a fee for checking in early.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with the trip advisor community.
After reading your comments I can read that you were upset about the early check in charge and you thought it was outrageous.

I also appreciate that you may have never had to pay this charge before in other hotels. We pretty much have a similar policy if its requested in advance however as your reservation is paid from 2 pm onwards and if asked on last minute we do charge a small amount of £10 which I don’t believe is a huge amount as we have to speed up our services if we check you in early specially when we are fully booked.

I would request in future when you make a booking and believe that you will require an early check in please request it upon booking and if we will have availability we will waive the charge and honour your request.

Hope the above explanation was sufficient to your disappointment and we will look forward to welcome you back at the hotel soon.

If you wish to make a booking I would request that you book it directly with us by calling on 0207 625 8532 and we will guaranteed offer you better rates than all online booking agents.

Many Thanks,
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for one night and I will not say much about it
The room I booked was executive double bedroom
The bed there was even smaller than single beds in normal hotels
It was very dirty
The mattress was only 5cm
I rather sleep on the road than in that hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for sharing your valued feedback with the trip advisor community.
I was very sorry to hear about your experience; however you haven’t given enough information for me to revert back to.

With regards to the rooms we do not have executive double rooms in the hotel what we have are standard double rooms and the beds and bed frames are quite a right size for a standard double room and are of very high quality.

The mattresses are also changed every 5 years and are also of very high quality with a minimum depth of 16.5 cm with additional protector and topper added which makes it at least 18 cm which is a good enough depth.

Unfortunately on this occasion I am sorry to advise you that I found your comments a bit vague and not enough for me to take any corrective actions.

However still if you wish to discuss your comments in details please contact me on 0207 625 8532 if you think you have missed something out or I missed out to address any of the issues.

Regards,
Fawad and Team

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

That was a very nice and pleasant hotel:
- located near 2 metro stations and bus-station, Tesco, Starbucks, Primark, Post office, Abbey road etc
- breakfast continental includes toasts with butter and few types of jam, yogurt with fresh fruits and small croissants, never felt hungry till 3-4 pm;)
- rooms are small that's true, but it's all made very smart and cozy, two persons don't feel uncomfortable, I loved a warm wardrobe where we set our rainy wet clothes
- also firstly seemed to be very unfreshy, cause windows never open, but it was made for safety and it's fair; so we had to use condition almost every time
- we lived in the 4th floor and one question I wanted to ask - why is that a small balcony which doesn't let see through the street?
- for room-cleaning you just leave a CLEAN button enlighten, few times we didn't left light but it was cleaned anyways ( we didn't mind:))
- bath and shower worked properly, and there was a towels warmer - good that it wasn't a traditional British washer - I was kind of frightened:)

Well, we liked this hotel very much and even being a way too picky I do not regret we've chosen this hotel! BUT the best thing we had is a stuff attitude! We came about midnight after long flight and acquaintance with a London metro (euuphhh) and a very-very nice guy at receiption met us like a long-waited guests. And every morning when we're leaving hotel and every evening all stuff were very helpful and lovely!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaraSmirnoff
Linds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

a well presented, clean and quiet hotel near to tube and overland stations and very convenient for the heart of London. The breakfast was superb and the beds comfortable. Everything from lifts to the very efficient double glazing contributed to a quiet stay and a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: we paid for the executive room and you do need the air conditioning
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Lovely place to stay, worth the money if you're going to be there constantly. Shower was lovely and very powerful rooms were a nice size & very clean. Only had a tiny window that had a wall opposite. Walking distance from a tube that takes you into the centre, opposite a club and tesco express.

• Stayed April 2014
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Last minute cheap weekend away for us, good location for the price. Very quiet inside hotel, considering where the hotel is located... main road and a club directly oppoiste. Our room was on the front directly opposite the club and didnt really hear anything. Possibly because the windows did not open, which was disappointing as it would have been nice to let some air in during the day whilst we were out. but the air con was relatively sufficient. The bathroom wasnt very clean on arrival, alot of long hairs everywhere which being two blokes, certaily wasnt ours and sticky fingerprints on mirror. However the bed was definately clean and on the second day the bathroom was spotless. Check out took about 40 mintues as the poor girl was strugging to cope on her own, not being helped by the card machine not working and having to go over to tesco to get cash out.
However, these were only small things, but hassles worth pointing out, we would certainly stay here again though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple