“Luxury apartment, good location”

Marlin Apartments Aldgate
Ranked #75 of 871 Speciality Lodging in London
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Luxury apartment, good location”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Luxury apartment, very well equipped with top class kitchens and bathrooms. Huge lounge (ours was a 2 bedroom apartment). Balcony overlooking the busy Commercial Rd was great for watching the world go by. Parking was not cheap (£25/night) but try the streets at the weekend (permit only, but this only applies Mon-Fri 8.30 - 5.30 - but check the signs!)
Beds were very comfortable.
Very convenient location, lots of restaurants on Brick Lane and Spitalfields Market (both just a few minutes walk). Bus into town stops just up the road (number 15, takes 35 - 40 minutes to Trafalgar Square). Tube station is a few minutes walk away.
It is on a busy road so expect traffic noise at night (maybe ask for a room at the rear of the block?)

Room Tip: Try rooms away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
DanielaCodreanu, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, 13 October 2014
Dear Mr Pete M,

Thank you for staying at Marlin Apartments Aldgate and for taking the time to write about your stay with us. It was definitely a pleasure having you here at Marlin.

I am truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and it pleases me to read such lovely feedback about our apartments and the facilities that we offer.
We would gladly assist for any future questions in relation to our locations, amenities and parking.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back soon, and the team and I very much look forward to it.

With my warmest regards,

Daniela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Staying in London for an extra 4 days after a tour finished, we wanted something that we could cook our own meals if we wanted, do some washing and have some space to move after living out of a suitcase for 3 weeks. Marlin Apartments at Aldgate satisfied us on all those accounts. Staff were friendly and apartment was very clean and with enough cooking accessories for us to cater for ourselves for that time. We travelled with our adult son, so had a 2 bedroom apartment. The lounge overlooked the busy street which was interesting to watch at times. The only issue, if it is an issue, is that the tube station is a little walk and when we stayed there, one of the two stations we could use was down for maintenance, which resulted in us often having to walk further than we had anticipated. Good supermarket a short walk away in a side street. Some of the neighbourhood buildings are not the most well maintained, although the apartments are modern and clean and its not an area I would have felt safe walking around on my own at night at times. A little out of the main London tourist area, but in some ways that is nice too, as a tube ride gets you into the centre in quick time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DanielaCodreanu, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear DebbieB2010,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your kind review on TripAdvisor. Your great experience serves as an encouragement to all of us here at Marlin.

We are delighted that our apartments met your expectations. Our main aim is to ensure that all our guests have the best possible Marlin experience and our entire team is geared toward making this a reality. I am happy to inform you that we have six locations across the city so please do not hesitate to contact us directly when you are planning to return to London, and our staff will be delighted to assist you.

I will share your positive feedback with the entire team and sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you once again.

With my warmest regards,
Daniela
west mids
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stopped here for a night were originally booked into marlin apartments elsewhere in london but they emailed us to say our intended room had severe maintenance issues ( had sneaky feeling they were overbooked).
Once we arrived quickly booked in apartment was fantastic two couples sharing an apartment two large double bedrooms both ensuite and large kitchen and lounge area all very clean.
We will certainly stay here again when in london as its also very handy for the tube.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DanielaCodreanu, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear chickenbez,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Marlin Apartments Aldgate.

I am very pleased that you had a fantastic stay with us even though it was not at your intended location. Our two bedroom apartments are indeed ideal for groups of people who wish to stay together and am pleased that you enjoyed the extra space and appreciated the high standards of cleanliness the team upholds.

We would absolutely love to accommodate your next stay with us and will be looking to welcome you back shortly for your next trip to London.

Kind regards,
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I usually stay in hotels when I visit London but this apartment is certainly making me reconsider. My flat was spacious with a well fitted kitchen and all the appliances you'd expect. The bonus of a large balcony gave the apartment something extra. Unfortunately it's a little too far out of the city and with only the Aldgate stations close by its difficult to get in. This is an excellent alternative to the norm though and I'd have no hesitations staying again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ash-W22
DanielaCodreanu, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Ash-W22,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at Marlin Aldgate on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your wonderful comments; at Marlin we always speak about the benefits of serviced apartments over hotels so I am glad you have now had the chance to experience this first-hand.

Whilst Aldgate is not quite as centrally-located as our Empire Square or Queen Street properties, it is situated just three minutes’ walk from Aldgate East tube station which can take you into central London.

We would love to accommodate you again so please do not hesitate to contact us should you wish to make a repeat booking.

Kind Regards,
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I recently stayed at Marlin apartments Aldgate for three weeks.The rooms and the quality of the service were excelent. I'l surrely come back here for my next stay in London .Thanks Adela for helping me whenever I needed something.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ramon M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Marlin Aldgate with TripAdvisor users.

I am thrilled that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay in London with us. Adela and the team would love to welcome you back during your next trip to the city.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at Marlin Apartments Aldgate and it was a very nice experience. The apatment was very spacious, clean and I had an amazing view of the city. The staff was great and friendly, especially a lady by the name of Adela who greeted me with a smile and amiability every day.
When i will go back in London, for sure i will stay at Marlin Apartments and for sure I will recomanded to all my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sebastian S
DanielaCodreanu, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Sebastian S,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on TripAdvisor.

I am thrilled that you had such an enjoyable stay at our Aldgate location. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Adela, and we hope to welcome you back to Marlin Aldgate in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly to make a repeat booking.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend, tried the Marlin apartments based in Aldgate for the first time. It was a last minute booking, as our usual place which is Marlin based in Stratford was fully booked.

Overall I am satisfied, and can only really compare with my previous experience in Stratford. We booked one bedroom premiere, which felt like a Studio, the bedroom was very tightly spaced up. The bathroom had only a shower, not a bath where as the apartments based in Stratford have both facilities even for a studio. On the plus point we had a lovely view, based on floor 14, and we had a balcony which is something you cannot get in Stratford, unless you buy an executive room.

My main negative comment would be the heating in our apartment.
We came back from a late night, quite cold and drenched from horrible weather. I tried turning the heating on, however it would just not work I mentioned this to reception staff twice and was told someone will be up in around 10 minutes. I waited over 30 minutes and no one got back to us. I told my boyfriend to tell the gentleman working in reception to leave it in the end, as we was looking to sleep and could not be bothered to stay up any longer. Considering we had this as an issue, I would have assumed they would have waived the charge of £30.00 for late checkout, for the inconvenience. However we only got an apology.

As I said overall the experience was good, good location, lovely view, comortable bed and clean, only down side was the heating, and lack of hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
DanielaCodreanu, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear MehvA,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Marlin Aldgate.

I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us once again and I hope you enjoyed the lovely view from your balcony.

I would like to apologise for the convenience you experienced with regards to the heating. Whilst in the colder months we have the heating switched on as standard, where the weather has been much warmer in the past few weeks the heating is switched off as default. We do provide instructions on how to work the heating but I fully appreciate that after a late night some assistance may be required. I will personally ensure that I look into the service you experienced too, as you should have received the help you required within the time specified, and I am sorry that you experienced a lapse in our usual high standards of service.

I do hope that you will continue to stay at Marlin Apartments when you visit London and allow us to show you the true Marlin experience during your next stay.

Kind regars,