“Great fish and chips near Oxford Circus”

Golden Union Fish Bar
Ranked #1,085 of 25,740 Restaurants in London
Price range: £8 - £21
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast food
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Soho
Description: This traditional fish and chip restaurant has received great reviews from the critics. locals and tourists alike. With afternoon offers and home made pies and sides, this restaurant is a must for anyone who lives or is visiting London. Set in the heart of Soho the restaurant is clean and viberant, with a post war 50s decor and a great set of staff providing the best service.
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Chose this restaurant based on a list of fish and chip places in the Frommer's book. It's close to the Liberty of London store. Great place and definitely specializes in fish and chips. Glad we went instead of going to a restaurant with fish and chips and other items. Service was fantastic and the fish was fresh!!!! Highly recommended!!!! and reasonable about 10 pounds for fish and chips.

Date of visit: October 2012
2  Thank NYRUNNING

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Best fish and chips in London, they do great homemade pies too. I try and get there as often as i can !!!

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Visited here last weekend for some fish and chips and very nice it was indeed! The fish that we had (both cod and haddock) were of a good standard and the chips were great. The little extras such as home-made tartare sauce were great too. Great selection of drinks too which were served nice and cold. Great place for a casual meal if you're in the area.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

This is a simple looking fast food restaurant, but do not let the look of the place fool you. The fish and chips are as good as some of the fancy restaurants.

They do not have beer on tap, but they do have canned soft drinks and bottled beer.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I must admit, I generally like my fish naked. Well, maybe sometimes with a little pickled ginger skirt, a dab of wasabi on the back and a small soaking of soy sauce to season, but usually nothing more. So when I get invited to this big and lively fish and chip restaurant, I've got a ping of guilt. My haddock is wearing a rather fetching and beautifully puffy and crispy overcoat of seasoned batter that makes my usual plate of fish seem like a bunch of giggly cat walk rakes!

I am at the Golden Union fish and chip shop in Poland Street, Soho and it's a Friday, so I am ignoring my internal friend the healthy one and have ordered my favourite haddock and chips. Our nice and friendly waitress brings my ice cold beer (it's a licensed chippy!)and takes my order so I Sit back and take in the surroundings. I could easily be sitting in any chip shop in the fifties as the decor is frighten familiar and rather comforting. Bring your parents or grandparents and with the smell of malt vinegar in the air, they will be feeling waves of nostalgia in no time. The tiled walls and Lino covered tables really set the scene. The fish we had was good and served with some fresh lemon to squeeze and a sprinkle of parsley. The chips are just as I want them to be with some small crunchy ones. My only niggle is the fish could have done with a short time to rest so any residual oil could completely drain off, but it's very busy and this place is awash with a mix of trendy Soho types and tourists, the latter no doubt curious to see what this fish and chip thing is all about. I am sure they will not be disappointed and I am nearly inclined to say never again to naked fish, but I miss naturalism!