“Wanted to Take Landlord Home”

St. George's Tavern
Ranked #5 of 253 Bars & Pubs in London
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Pimlico
Description: You will find The St George's Tavern in Victoria London within a short stroll of Victoria Street, Vauxhall Bridge Road and Buckingham Palace Rd - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The St George's Tavern is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was with two friends from the US, who were on a layover for 48 hours from Heathrow. They wanted to experience a "real English Pub." We were at Victoria, which I do not know well, so googled "gastro pubs" and came up with St George's Tavern, which had a relatively high rating (about 4 of 5).

We made our way there, and my friends were discouraged by the city punters outside. I knew better, hopefully because of my 24 years of living in London. We approached the pub and they were slightly intimidated by the sheer numbers of be-suited city types with their fag-smoking and pint-drinking (male and female) louts outside. I said, "never fear," as I knew that food at 5 pm food is never a priority. I told them that the crowd outside, smoking and swilling, is about as British as you can get.

Sure enough, once inside, although busy at 5 pm outside, there were some seats inside, though probably taken up by drinkers. I asked the barman about food and he directed me downstairs. This is where things got interesting.

At 5 pm everything was quiet. Th downstairs reflected the rich wooden paneling and mirrors of the upstairs. Our first server, who was the downstairs barman, was of such a supreme character, and such a high level of service, we wanted to put him in our back pocket or handbag and take him home with us. Things got crowded by locals around 6 pm.

We three are all Americans, and used to a standard of service not often met (as I have said in other reviews), but we agreed, without hesitation, were thrilled not just with our service with the downstairs landlord, but also with our the waitress, who despite not speaking English as a first language, was fantastic as a server, and made us feel completely at home.

Our food was more erratic. My friend A--- had fish and chips, which she thought were fantastic and L--- and I had steak, a miscalculation on both our parts. If you're going to order food, I strongly recommend you stick with pub basics, such as pie and chips. I was tempted by bangers and mash and sorry I didn't order it.`

All in all, a good value for money, and a fairly good representation of an English Pub for visiting American friends. I think it must be a good value just based on the local families we saw dining there.

1  Thank MJ_UK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Fish and chips were very good. The waiters were knowledgeable about the cask beers and allowed sampling. I would not recommend the steak dishl

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We came here on Saturday evening of the bank holiday weekend before we went to see Wicked. We were seated and the lovely Mark came and sat with us to take our order. He was very friendly and cheery and when asked if we had enough time for pudding before the 7.30 show, he said no problem.
The food was very good and I had not finished my meal more than 1 minute before the puddings were brought to the table. We went upstairs through the pub on the way out which was much larger than downstairs-there were only about 3 other tables when we were there but I imagine it could easily get full due to it's size. Would return-no more than 5 minutes walk from station/theatre.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great, traditional pub fare, with a twist. The venison and mushroom pie was excellent. I also tried several of the beers before settling on a very creamy stout. The atmosphere was friendly and on my list of places to go on any next visit to London.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Ate in the restaurant which was "downstairs" -- basement. Great atmosphere, good menu with nice mix of English classic foods such ad Cottage Pie and more varied selections like Nachos and Burgers. Fish and chips were good as was my friend's Steak and Frites. Would eat there again.