“Average.”

St. George's Tavern
Ranked #660 of 22,509 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Pimlico
Description: You will find The St George's Tavern in Victoria London within a short stroll of Victoria Street, Vauxhall Bridge Road and Buckingham Palace Rd - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The St George's Tavern is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Oklahoma
“Average.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was a great location near our hotel and was quite lively on Friday night so we stopped in the next night. Quiet and pretty standard. Reasonable food and service. Nothing special.

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Valletta, Malta
“Love this place”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Every time I visit London its a must go.
Lovely ambience,good food and great staff.
I also try to find my lodging near and its even near to the bus and train station.
What else do you need.

Owens Cross Roads, Alabama
“Nice place”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This tavern is in Westminster close to Victoria Station. Very unique experience for us. Two choices for dining. Restaurant downstairs and pub on street level. If you choose to eat in the pub, you find your own table and then go to the bar to order your food. Food is brought to your table. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Had wine and 3 different dishes. Mac & Cheese ok just not like the US has. Shepherd's Pie was fabulous. Got the dish for 2 and was enough for 4. Don't remember what the 3d dish was we ordered, but evidently not impressed or would remember. Definitely worth going to eat here.

• Visited May 2014
London
“Wanted to Take Landlord Home”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was with two friends from the US, who were on a layover for 48 hours from Heathrow. They wanted to experience a "real English Pub." We were at Victoria, which I do not know well, so googled "gastro pubs" and came up with St George's Tavern, which had a relatively high rating (about 4 of 5).

We made our way there, and my friends were discouraged by the city punters outside. I knew better, hopefully because of my 24 years of living in London. We approached the pub and they were slightly intimidated by the sheer numbers of be-suited city types with their fag-smoking and pint-drinking (male and female) louts outside. I said, "never fear," as I knew that food at 5 pm food is never a priority. I told them that the crowd outside, smoking and swilling, is about as British as you can get.

Sure enough, once inside, although busy at 5 pm outside, there were some seats inside, though probably taken up by drinkers. I asked the barman about food and he directed me downstairs. This is where things got interesting.

At 5 pm everything was quiet. Th downstairs reflected the rich wooden paneling and mirrors of the upstairs. Our first server, who was the downstairs barman, was of such a supreme character, and such a high level of service, we wanted to put him in our back pocket or handbag and take him home with us. Things got crowded by locals around 6 pm.

We three are all Americans, and used to a standard of service not often met (as I have said in other reviews), but we agreed, without hesitation, were thrilled not just with our service with the downstairs landlord, but also with our the waitress, who despite not speaking English as a first language, was fantastic as a server, and made us feel completely at home.

Our food was more erratic. My friend A--- had fish and chips, which she thought were fantastic and L--- and I had steak, a miscalculation on both our parts. If you're going to order food, I strongly recommend you stick with pub basics, such as pie and chips. I was tempted by bangers and mash and sorry I didn't order it.`

All in all, a good value for money, and a fairly good representation of an English Pub for visiting American friends. I think it must be a good value just based on the local families we saw dining there.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank MJ_UK
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice local Pub”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Fish and chips were very good. The waiters were knowledgeable about the cask beers and allowed sampling. I would not recommend the steak dishl