“A little tired, but great location and perfect for a comfortable place to crash!”
Review of Westfield Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Westfield Hostel
Ranked #523 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We booked a 7 night stay here before and during the August Bank holiday weekend. The location of the hostel is brilliant- less than a 1 minute walk from Shepherds Bush Market tube station with plenty of buses too. Local amenities are good, with a Tesco Express just over the road and lots of other takeaway/ small restaurants and independent retailers down the road- the Westfield Shopping Centre is only a 5 minute walk, too.

We looked on Google Street View prior to our trip so knew what we were looking for when we got there. The staff in the adjoining off-license contacted the owner and we were welcomed into the building and shown our room (a twin room comprising of bunk bed, clothes rail, lamp, chair, small set of drawers, full length mirror, lockable storage under the bed and a tv). The welcome was brief, but friendly, and we paid cash there and then and received our key- one for the room and one for the main door (we were offered a key each but declined). The room itself (like the hostel) was a little tired but absolutely fine if all you wanted was a comfortable place to sleep. The kitchen and bathrooms were cleaned by the owners regularly and the only reason for them being in a less than satisfactory condition was as a result of the others in the hostel- but you will get that anywhere I imagine. Showers were nice and hot with plenty of pressure and facilities in the kitchen included cookers, utensils, microwave, fridge, kettle etc.. There was also a computer and free internet access available in one of the hallways. Heating in the room was good- although we had the window open 24/7 as it was a little on the warm side! For me, our room was a little on the noisy side as we were right on the road but I expect this is just because I am not used to city noise/ traffic.

Overall, this place suited us fine (and we are usually very picky!). It is a little tired and the walls are grubby with fingerprints, BUT, the place was comfortable and in a great location which is what we were mainly concerned with. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Contact via email/ telephone to inform of arrival time to ensure quick check-in.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank clare h

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Don't even consider staying there, the photos are deceiving. 1: Somebody stole a whole shopping bag from me while I was away!! 2: I had paid for 1 week (but as soon as I saw the toilets I shortened my stay) and they REFUSED to consider that I had paid 25 euros online, and made me pay for my whole stay but then THEY TOLD ME TO GO the 2nd day inspite of the fact that I had paid for the whole week! (they found another client to get in) I was in London for medical reasons, I had a hysteroscopy and in spite of the fact that I had to lie down and had paid, they threw me out. I was crying, with my heavy bag and had to find somewhere else to stay. One of the worst days of my life. This happened in July 2011. And when I told them that I would write bad review they said they didn't mind. I hope they paid for what they did to me.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank poutana
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Place was easy to miss, just a door beside an off licence. First impressions was place was old and dingey looking. Place definitely needed a good clean! There was no reception but the guy I emailed was in the off licence beside the hostel so presume they run both premises. He showed us to the two twin rooms we booked and payment was made upfront with no receipt.
I checked the website on this place and it sure is deceiving! The place is far from whats described on the site. The rooms we're basic and beds seemed clean and comfortable. Only thing I didnt like was the lockers that we located under the bed were wooden!! Wouldnt leave anything too valuable in them! Heating in the room was fine.
Sparkling clean bathrooms - I think not! Small, cramped and everyones leftovers all over the place more like! Only good thing about showers is the pressure and hot water!
The kitchen was small and lacked cups and plates, fridge needed a good clean out too. Also would recommend not to store much food as cupboards werent the cleanest looking!
Location wise, was brilliant, right in Sheperds Bush, shopping centre round the corner, tube outside the door nearly and market, tesco, dominos all across the road.
Also if booking a group dont just go by the rates on the website, ask if they can do a better price. We got a small reduction but still think it was a bit expensive for what we got.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The hostel is very close to the underground (not one of the main lines, though) but really easy to miss, it's just a small door next to an off licence liquor store. I think the same people who run the hostel run the liquor store. Realize that Shepherd's Bush Market is closed on Sundays if you are planning a short visit. The hostel was advertised as women only but I saw 3 different men in the hostel. Also didn't see any continental breakfast that was advertised unless it was the partly eaten loaf of bread that was on the table. but the kitchen was really, really smelly, yuk. No vending machines, lounge areas or anything like that, this is a very small hostel. And don't try to check in late either- I did and woke up the man who runs the hostel, he wasn't too happy about that, told me I was too late but did let me stay. Payment was taken in cash with no reciept given. The bed appeared clean and was comfortable enough to sleep in, and the bathroom was pretty clean as well, but there are lots of choices in London, I wish I had chosen a licenced hostel instead, for the lack of amenities they should charge a bit less I think. Other hostels nearby have better value.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2010

I booked this hostel after figuring out that one, my bed & breakfast closer to the city was going to be over my budget and wouldn't allow for a friend to crash with me and two, that there was one of my favourite restaurants just up the street from where the hostel was.

I had never been to London before, so when I first arrived I was a bit surprised, but the location for me was fine. I could see how others might have issues - it is in an 'up and coming' neighbourhood, flanked by a few different music venues (amazing music, within blocks of hostel), cheap veggie and produce stores, and a fair number of off-license stores. I always wonder in an area where there are more junk food outlets, cheque cashing services and random 'wet spots' on the pavement how good the area is, but I digress.

The hostel is laughable - not really in a negative way. It is an old building, with older carpeting and facilities. It was more laughable because I swear I stayed in this same building when I was a university student in Vancouver - that typical paint on the walls that has been painted so many times it is an inch thick, that smell of old smoke and cooked onions, and an air of 'history'. Oh, and the only sign you see from the road is "AB Off Licence 24 Hour". !

The room itself wasn't bad - very very bare bones but there was a TV. I was in a 'twin' room - which were two single beds in a bunk bed style. It was fine. The pillows/ blankets were fine. The washroom wasn't the best, but it was fairly clean, shower was fine. The kitchen needed a good scrubbing down, but it was fine for the 2 times out of 10 that I used it.

The location was a bit not great if you are someone who likes to be right in the middle of things, but if you are like me and don't mind taking transit, then it isn't a pain. One "oyster card" for 17 pounds for the bus does you for a week, and there are buses to connect you to all areas of London about one block away, or if you are cheeky, you can use the tube which is 1.5 blocks away.

The price was the real seller for me - for 10 days, for 2 beds, the total cost was 280 pounds. So, 40 bucks or so a day for accomo in London? I couldn't beat that with a stick - the cheapest otherwise that I had found was 65 pounds a day, so more like the $100 and that was one bed only.

The other was the "service". Hilarious - there was literally no one in the building for the most part. It is a very very quiet spot, and it is very self-serve. So if you want to talk to someone, you are best to go to another hostel. If you need a crash pad, this will work.

Now, would I recommend this to someone - if they weren't fussed on strict cleanliness or service, and were literally falling into bed at 2am, waking up at 8am and wandering out the door for a cup of coffee, then yes. Probably best for over 26 year olds, because it isn't a party spot, but more of a crashing spot.

Also, as a single female traveler, I had no problems in this area of town. I've heard 'issues' with this space, but I didn't feel that at all. But I could see how others may, although you'd probably feel the same way in Camden or Brixton areas too, which is where some of the other cheaper hotels are located.

Generally though - if you set your expectations super duper low, and use this as a crash pad, you won't be disappointed. If you are disappointed, I'd say you needed to get out and spend more of your day in the city of London, rather than staring at the walls or floor of your hostel :-)

Oh, and I had free WiFi there the whole time - great reception - although it isn't the "hostels" I don't think - I think it was someone's from around the area!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2010

The Westfield Hostel is very well priced for what it offers. If you are looking for cheap but decent accomodation, it is a good place to consider. There are only a few rooms so it is not too busy. The hostel offers free access to a computer, in addition to having wi-fi everywhere. It is located near a market where you can buy affordable eats. The rooms are reasonably sized and the overall cleanliness is good. Beware, it is on the second floor of a building so the entrance is easy to miss.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Dont stay here!!! UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY DESPERATE. Dodgy payment deals and dirty hostel is not the one. ALL photos are deceiving and as someone mentioned, there are no spoons, forks, can opener, glasses or mugs. Moldy food in the fridge is not appealing either. Dirty bathrooms and weird smells in the building, but the one good thing is the great shower pressure and having a laugh about the place with the people you meet there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo