Open today: Closed
Book In Advance
Tours from Shakespeare in the City Walk tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Shakespeare in the City Walk
from US$13.30
More Info
All reviews his life hidden corners walking tour extensive knowledge wonderful walk his enthusiasm tour today informative tour ask questions two hours would highly recommend this tour st paul's cathedral great guide private tour interesting facts couple of hours declan
Reviewed 1 week ago

Interactive storytelling using the backdrop of the backstreets of London. Not for little kids and wear your good walking shoes because this tour moves fast! Declan walked us through back streets and tight alleys to give us the flavor of London in a different era. Loved it!

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

I took this tour today having previously been on Declan’s “blood and tears” tour (also excellent). Declan is extremely knowledgeable on the subject with the tour taking in some hidden gems of history and little known locations and points of interest from Shakespeare’s time. The delivery and presentation was informative and engaging and it really brought history to life. I would highly recommend this tour.

Phil

Reviewed 24 September 2018

What a great night out! Declan does a great job touring you around some of London's "darker" areas and provides a great perspective on London's bloody past! He does a fantastic job making the tour interactive for all participants.

Reviewed 15 September 2018

This tour was a wonderful way to spend a few hours in London, away from the usual tourist haunts, and to walk in history’s footsteps learning more about a wonderful playwright and poet. Even for someone like myself who studied very basic Shakespeare in school Declan made the tour contemporary whilst retaining all the atmosphere, gravity and humour of Shakespeare’s words. It’s a very easy-paced walk with sufficient stops to rest one’s legs whilst soaking in the history. It was extremely reasonably priced and would recommend to anyone considering doing something a little different during their visit to London. Thanks Declan!

Reviewed 11 August 2018

Declan was a really great guide. We learnt so much in the couple of hours we were with him. On our own, we would have just walked past the hidden gems that Declan showed us. Declan has a a fund of knowledge about Shakespeare, and his times, which really was fascinating. We loved the Kindersley sculpture. When we were there, Declan gave "All the world's a stage" speech. Very enjoyable.

This walk was great value for money. We had a brilliant time.

Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

Sometimes I wonder why I pay good money for guided walks as I get fed up. Last summer I went on declans walk, he walk to fast and that was problem cos I got bunyons and they hurt. Declan was professional actor in past but he no longer on stage preferring to earn money doing tourism stuff instead. I like the church where shakespeares writing was original document on wall, very nice and historic. Best thing about tour was shakespeare speeches read without a sheet of paper or ipad by Declan.

That said only 2 stars cos to expensive and I wanted to go to the globe. Why not the globe as this is the most important shakespeare place in london?

1  Thank donyazzz
Declan M, Owner at Shakespeare in the City Walk, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

I am genuinely sorry about the "bunyons", Donyazzz, although I think any walk would have made them ache, since that's a medical condition that probably does not respond well to doing guided walks.

I am glad you remembered the document in the church with Shakespeare's autograph. Sadly, as I say on the Tour, it is not an original.

I am also very glad you liked the speeches. I love Shakespeare's words so I love delivering those speeches.

As for the price, it's £11 without discounts - but there are LOTS of discounts available on the internet so few pay that full price, and I doubt you did.

For those who pay the full price of £11- is it too much? I like to think you get a very special experience for your money, and other feedback on Tripadvisor indicates many agree with this viewpoint. You not only get the information (which I spent a long time researching), and the monuments, plaques, busts, statues etc, but you also get the speeches. I was a professional actor, as you noted, and this lifts the tour to another level. I have had people crying listening to Shakespeare's beautiful words, especially during the 'Goodbye' speech at the end.

125 people have reviewed this tour to date. Only 4 people over the years (including you) have rated this tour at 3 stars or less. The remaining 121 people regarded the experience as worthy of 5 stars or 4 stars.

Fully 85% said it was a 5 star experience.

Just to take the last 10 reviews before yours, here are just some of the adjectives and phrases used about this tour in those previous 10 reviews:
"Brilliant"
"the best value tourist activity I have ever been on" (completely disagreeing with you about the value of the Tour)
"Memorable"
"Thoroughly recommend"
"Informative"
"entertaining"
"Passionate"
"well worth it" (again completely disagreeing with you about the value)
"Simply a phenomenal day out!"

and I could go on but will stop there...

Finally, every single piece of publicity about my tour emphasises that I don't go the Globe. Somehow, you overlooked that. Even the name of the Tour indicates that I don't go to the Globe. The tour is called 'Shakespeare in the City Walk' - The rebuilt Globe is South of the Thames and NOT in the City!

Why don't I go to the Globe? Precisely because every other Shakespeare or South London tour goes there and most people have seen it already, so why duplicate? This is fresh stuff about Shakespeare's life NORTH of the Thames.

Declan

Reviewed 11 July 2018

This was a brilliant walking tour. Declan took us to all sorts of hidden away places with fascinating Shakespeare connections. He told us a lot about the places we went to, but he was also impressively knowledgeable about all sorts of aspects of drama in Shakespeare's time, the politics and intrigues of the day, theories about authorship and the recipients of the sonnets etc Declan answered all our questions, and made it all really interesting. This was without doubt the best value tourist activity I have ever been on. Thanks Declan.

1  Thank Liz654
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Very informative tour! Declan provided us with lots of memorable and funny details about Shakespeare and his life - which the high school students of our group still remember.

What I liked best about the tour was that Declan connected it to the As You Like It - performance we'd attend that evening in the Globe. He took us to the Kindersley sculpture and gave the 'All the world's a stage..' speech, and gave some more information about it. This helped the students later on in the Globe to understand more of the play!

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We spent a very happy couple of hours being shown hidden parts of London with Declan our guide. He is entertaining, knowledgable & very informative sharing many interesting facts & theories about William Shakespeare & his circle of friends. All of the locations had their own story perfectly told by Declan, & the quotes from Shakespeare could almost make you feel as though you’d been transported back in time! Top tip was also to pop back to the Blackfriars pub after the tour ended - try it, you’ll be amazed.
Thiroughly recommend trying this tour if you get the chance.
The book in the photo is also written by Declan - worth a read & available to buy at the end of the tour.
Thanks Declan!

Reviewed 9 May 2018

Despite the cold and wet weather we had a great time being taken to lots of interesting Shakespeare venues that we would never have found on our own. Declan was informative and great company, A great morning out

1  Thank ChrisF1943