“Wedding dream venue”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #234 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We organised a wedding reception at Town Hall Hotel on 24/3/12. They did us proud. A superb service. Enthusiastic, young , intelligent and helpful staff. Nothing too much trouble. Attentive but discreet, efficient management , light touch, relaxed atmosphere. Beautiful surroundings - straight out of "Hercule Poirot". Really different as a wedding venue. 2 excellent wedding planners took care of all the arrangements. Stylish venue, with plenty of flexible options for a wedding - rooms for guests, rooms to get ready in, rooms for drinks, banquet,creche, disco etc. Good contacts with local services. Faultless planning and skilful execution of our big day. We loved every minute of this hotel - it is a special place for a special day. Apartments come in a huge variety of styles. This is a hotel for a special occasion when you want to push the boat out. They were so eager to please. This hotel offers a unique personal service, not like the big chain hotels and usual brand names. The food is Michelin star cuisine, with an award winning restaurant. It seems to focus on connoisseurs of fine dining. Our family would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to any traveller, particularly if you appreciate real quality and fine style, and wish to see the quality side of life in London Treat yourselves! Roger.

Room Tip: The hotel offers 2 bedroomed apartments, with 2 bathrooms, and full kitchen facilities - even a wash...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles050
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. First and foremost congratulation to you both. I am pleased to hear that you loved the hotel so much and that it was the perfect choice where to celebrate your special day with family and friends. I am pleased to hear your kind compliments, on the service received from my colleagues throughout the evening, and honoured to know that we successfully managed to make you feel proud of the choices you made. We are equally proud of being selected, for your special day and glad to know that you would highly recommend us to your friends. It is great to know that you liked the hotel refurbishment, with the mixture of previous century trends blended together to bring the history of this magnificent building back to life. It is very encouraging to receive such a positive feedback and I have passed all of your feedback on to our department heads here and in particular to Sylwia and Angela, which worked very hard to guarantee the success of your wedding reception. Should you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist with any enquiry you may have. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

The position is in Bethnal Green. This is a turn off for many as the area is kindly described as up and coming. However it is only 400 metres from the subway which is brilliant except in peak hour and will take you anywhere. There is a Tesco’s around the corner – say 600 metres - and a small Sainsbury’s near the subway. There was a good Italian restaurant over the road but I had the impression that they were not there for long. I hope they are. Other restaurants around the area did not look that prepossessing.

This hotel is an oasis in the area and is regarded as such by locals. A lot of money spent on this hotel but all well spent. The building is a tour de force. It looks brilliant and the fixtures and fittings inside are tasteful. The fitness centre, pool, breakfast and dinner café are all great.

Check in could be a bit more formal and conventional however they still strike a nice balance.

My only critique outside of the room would be the main restaurant. We wandered in and asked to see a menu. There was no menu we were told – they asked what you wanted and then made this. The problem for many will be – a) what will I end up with and b) how much will this cost. If there was a fixed cost then this works. However if not then the problem is if the hotel is out of the ordinary for where it is the restaurant is certainly out there. This is not Kensington. Maybe I don’t know enough and maybe they are doing really well but I would like something a little more conventional.

Staff at the hotel were first class. The food in the café was good and the breakfast was also good although basic selection. What was there was teriific.

Now to the hotel’s facilities - they are great. The room we had was well decorated and quite lavish. It had a washing machine dryer combination and cooking facitlities. The bathroom was very modern and a great use of texture. There was also a curtain to separate rooms. A DVD player if youwante dto watch something you had brought wigth you. Very large and very clean and comfrable. I would bgive the rooms ten out of ten.

The fitness centre was also first rate for a hotel of this size. Too often fitness centres are put in thoughtlessly (probably by people who have never been in one) but this one was well thought out and had a sauna and a shower. It also had a great pool although for lap swimmers it was hard to push off on one end as it was all steps. I ama swimmer so am being picky. I managed and loved the set up. The hotel is even better from the outside. It reputedly cost a lot of money and to mine it was worth it and locals should embrace this hotel as heralding a change to the area. Someone with foresight renovated this building and is to be commended.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at the Town Hall Hotel & apartments. I enjoyed reading your detailed feedback and very pleased to hear your thoughts the restoration of the hotel is worth every penny spent on it. It is great to know that you found the hotel comfortable, stylish and well furnished, meanwhile retaining its grandeur appearance, internally and externally. I am glad that you found the hotel to be well equipped with nice facilities and it is good to know that our staff extended their friendly services throughout your. Thank also for describing the local area and how easy it is to travel to central areas of London from the hotel, which will be very useful to other guest planning to stay at the Town Hall Hotel. Regarding your comment on the Viajante restaurant (main restaurant), we do not provide a La Cart Menu but instead it offers a blind-style tasting menu. The food in itself is a journey through different flavours and textures and it is innovative and constantly changing. There are different prices based on 6 courses at £65 or 12 courses at £90. Please note that drinks are a not included. The unconventional concept of the restaurant, as it is for the hotel, it is in fact thought to be unusual to allow and experience out of the normal and I can confirm it has been a tremendous success, obviously due to our patron chef Nuno Mendes culinary innovations and expertise. Once again thank you for your fantastic feedback and for choosing the THH for your stay in London. Should you decide to return to the hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Staying at the hotel. This is just a temporary review, full review later . .

Nice hotel and well furnished. But poor service, service is poor compared to other 5 star hotels or compared to other star hotels even.

My booking was breakfast inclusive. In all 5 stars I have visited in London/Europe they would deliver the included breakfast to the room for an extra charge, but in this hotel, if you want breakfast in your room: 1) they charge separately the full price of the breakfast item you want from their alacarte breakfast menu (for room service), and 2) they cannot deliver to your room the same items as in the 'inclusive breakfast' because as they told me "it is difficult to take an order for so many breakfast items" (so in this hotel the service is centred around the convenience of the hotel and it's employees than the reasonable convenience of its customers, however in other 5 star hotels in London such service is standard procedure).

This is NOT 5 STAR service, it is making life as difficult as possible for the customer. So if you want the breakfast that was inclusive in your booking - to be delivered to your room(for an extra charge of course) - they will make sure they will not deliver it and so this is not the place to stay. If I had known this beforehand i would never have come here.

p.s
Their menu says if you have allergies then inform us beforehand. Their meat sandwiches are made as they told me- "with Rye bread only". Their menu does not say the bread is Rye and i ordered the meat sandwich 2 days ago and had bad problems. I asked them yesterday if they could make my sandwiches with some kind of wheat bread(white or brown) and i shall pay extra, but they said "sorry we do not offer wheat bread with sandwiches"(even though they do have wheat bread with other dishes(standard procedure in all other 5 stars though)).
Their allegy advice was just name sake obviously. Their menu has very few dishes and so you cant find alternatives.
Food prices here are more or less the same as other 5 stars.

Bigger Picture: Some employees provide a very good service and some very bad, but the problem is more the system/policy in my opinion. Obviously the problem here is a policy/system where they will not budge to offer minor changes/services to the customer, services that are standard in most 5 star hotels, total and unreasonable inflexibility.
A pity I did not know this before i landed here.

Being unwell i preferred to eat in room and not travel about.

Would they be prepared to mention on their website clearly 'breakfast included in room rate will not be delivered to your room, even if you are prepared to pay the full price extra'.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Jays2000
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This hotel is amazing, from the staff to the beauty of the rooms. I did not want to leave. Our room was cleaned so nicely everyday and all the comforts of home. The truffles, robes, expresso machine, the fabulous bathroom, kithcen, and comfortable beds were the highist quality.You may think this hotel is to far from central London. The tube it is only four blocks away, and that's all you need to get around. I am very picky and this hotel went beyond my expectations.

3  Thank Maggieeee
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It gives us great honour to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you did not want to leave the hotel. I am pleased to see that you noticed the high level of care put on the cleanness of our apartments and the comfort it comes with a fully furniture apartment. It is a pleasure to know that you appreciated all the little things we offer to our guests while in house and thank you for your comment on how convenient it is to travel from the hotel to other parts for London. I can confirm that your feedback has been shared with all the team here. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 13 March 2012

A terrific hotel.

My room was very large, well maintained and included everything I could hope for. Great bathroom. Comfortable beds. Good seating area. Nicest hotel room I've been in lately. Very well designed.

Room service dinner was very nice. And reasonable priced.

Breakfast buffet was very good.

Checkout was Ok. They had trouble getting my breakfast charge on the bill though.

Price for the hotel was very reasonable for what you get.

Only downside was the location, which was very inconvenient for me. But I can't hold that against the hotel. Stay here if it's near what you need to do in London.

1  Thank Stefan H
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is great to know that you like the hotel and that you thought the apartments are the nicest hotel room you have seen so far. I am glad to hear that our fully equipped apartment suited your needs with comfortable bed and sitting room. It pleases me to that our room service and breakfast food selections as well as service were to your satisfaction. Please accept my apologies for the delay during checking out time and I am glad to hear that you though the hotel prices are very reasonable for what you get. Regarding to your comment on the location, as many parts of the East End, they still are under development but I can assure you that the nearby Shoreditch, which is a 10 minute by bus ride, is one of the hottest areas in town. I can confirm that your feedback has been shared with all the departments here. Should you decide to return to the hotel in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you personally. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Great accommodation and in-room facilities. Warm and considerate staff who were attentive but not intrusive. The corner room restaurant was fantastic although it wasn't at all easy to get a table! Lockers would help with the swimming pool and gym.

• Stayed: March 2012
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is nice to know that you enjoyed you stay with us and that the service provided by our staff was of highest level, which is of course very nice to see it mentioned in your feedback. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your visit at the Corner Room and that you like the food from our patron chef Nuno Mendes. Please accept my apologies for the table long wait in this occasion. The Corner Room restaurant as well as the Viajante restaurant, has become very popular places, hence some days it is very busy. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London I can confirm that your feedback will be shared with all the team here. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Simple impeccable! Staff highly professional and helpful! Altough the apartment was located in the lower ground it was very bright and cosy. The position of the hotel is excellent, close to the financial district while a few tube stations away from the city. I highly recommend this hotel to professionals looking for comfort in an unconventional setting.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stefano G
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is nice to receive such a positive feedback and pleased to hear that you like the hotel very much. Glad to know that the staff performed to their highest level of customer service and you find the hotel location very convenient to those professionals looking to be close reach of the City of London, as well as the West End being few stop away with the underground. Thank you so much for all your other comments and I can confirm that I will shared them with all the departments here and should you decide to return to the hotel in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you personally. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole