“Gorgeous, unique & free upgrade!”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #173 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Can't speak highly enough about my Town Hall experience:
ARRIVAL: Had a vile arrival time of 5am into London and at hotel by 6:30am. Despite am official check in time of 2pm, we were ushered straight to our booked apartment. Even better, we had been upgraded from standard to executive at no cost. Utterly unheard of in hotel-land!
APARTMENT: Fab! Two level 2-bed with 2 ensuite bathrooms and cathedral ceilings. Open plan kitchen/lounge. Super unique vintage furniture that was cool AND comfy to use. Central heat/AC. Very modern bathrooms, both with bath and rainfall shower. Full kitchen with espresso machine and washer/dryer in lieu of laundry. Queen beds with quality linen and pillows
FACILITIES: Great heated pool and good size gym. 'The Corner' informal restaurant/breakfast nook is small and intimate. Breakfast is great value, fresh and nicely varied at GBP15, with fancy hot options available at GBP4 per dish. Michelin starred restaurant was a bit out of our budget, but dinner at The Corner was also enjoyable.
LOCAL AREA: Grungy, but felt safe. Bethnal Greem tube a mere 3 minute walk and about 15min travel time from city centre.

1  Thank Global2010
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I am glad to hear that you appreciated our gesture of goodwill, following to your early arrival at the THH. It is nice to know that you liked our all inclusive apartment and the facilities offered to our guest in the hotel. I am pleased to read that you like the atmosphere at the Corner Room and that you like the breakfast options on the menu. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your fantastic score and for choosing the THH for your stay in London. I can confirm that your comment has already been shared with all the staff here and should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

There are newer reviews for Town Hall Hotel

Reviewed 27 April 2012

This is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. We were 4 people so we booked one of the 2 rooms apartments. It was simply AWESOME, each room had its own kitchen, mini fridge, stove, oven, laundry machine, dish washing machine... each room was like a whole apartment! The bigger room had also a very nice and large bathtub in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. They provide free normal and decaf coffee, tea, still and sparkling water and milk, everything is substituted each day, if you use it.
Free wifi with very nice signal and OK speed. There's even an umbrella in the room which you can use if the weather is bad, and they provide more, if you need it.
The only downside, like many reviews said is just the location. The neighborhood is not the nicest one, but I felt it was very safe. It just isn't beautiful and full of stuff to do, but you have nice markets around, restaurants, and the subway is just around the corner. With 5-6 stops with the subway you're able to arrive at the main interesting points in the center.
Oh, the other downside (but that's a problem with almost ALL London hotels, it seems) is the breakfast. VERY expensive (15 pounds) for a very simple buffet. You have to pay an extra 5 pounds for hot dishes. A cheaper and more complete breakfast would be perfect.
I HIGHLY recommend this hotel, it should be even higher on the trip advisor rankings, because the cost/benefit ratio is perfect!

Room Tip: Our rooms were LG 13 and 15 and were GREAT! Very close to the pool too.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and totally flattered by your complements that the THH is one of the best hotel you ever visited. It is nice to know that you appreciate what the hotel has to offer and thank you so much for detailing it in the way you did by mentioning all the appliances we have in the apartments. The area, indeed, it is not the classic touristic place where you would probably expects a hotel like ours to be, but I can assure you that the proximity of the hotel burst with vitality and creativity, with new and traditional places to eat out, trendy bars and clubs, art galleries and museums. I am sorry to hear that you were not really satisfied with the breakfast and I have already shared you comments with our F & B manager to look into your concerns. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just arrived back from spending three nights at the hotel from 21st April- 24th April over the London Marathon. I was traveling with my mum daughter and her boyfriend and after searching high and low for reasonable accommodation with a bit of luxury decided on Town Hall Apartments

Bad Start - sadly even though I specifically booked a two bedroom apartment when we arrived it had been double booked. I was a bit cross as the hotel initially tried to change my booking to a one bedroom apartment and a double room, however this is not what I wanted and their was no way I was sharing a double bed with my mum, they then gave me another room so in total on the first night we had three rooms two of which were one bedroom apartments and one was a double bedroom, G5 G7 and G6. Out of these rooms I would say that G7 was the nicest with a bathroom to die for. They also refunded half the price of my original booking as compensation.
As the marathon was the night after I told them that they would have to move our luggage and food etc to the two bedroom apartment . On the first night we cooked in G6 as this had the best kitchen. Milk and house bottled water, tea, coffee, dishwasher pills and kitchen roll is all provided for free, however the kitchens are new and as one of our party was running the marathon I wanted to bake a special runners lasagna for him. Sadly the hotel had an amazing oven but no oven dishes !! they looked at me quite blankly when I asked for one, however the staff are very friendly and do try to help they did find me a huge roll of tin foil and I did manage to cobble something together using the grill pan.
The pool and gym facilities are lovely and its just such a nice touch to have a swim after a hard day volunteering at the marathon or sightseeing.
On our return from the marathon everything had been moved into the two bedroom apartment as requested this was LG2 a twin and double bed apartment. Furnishings and facilities again really very good and great value. Ipod docking station in every bedroom is very handy and also for once a very good hotel hairdryer, everywhere I go I always take my own as hotel hairdryers are usually terrible but the one provided here was great. Free Wi-Fi was appreciated as my husband could not travel with us so it was great to keep in touch for free.

Ok here are some more good points for me with the rooms as we had tried 4 by the end of the stay

The room temperature was great not stuffy and hot like most london hotels
The rooms were large with stylish furniture and some of the best bathrooms i have ever used, G7 had two sinks in the bathroom it was so big and a fab bath
The bed was super comfy with crisp white sheets with two big pillows on each bed
slippers and robes are provided
The apartment kitchen are tasteful but if you are going to cook in them check that the hotel has everything you need before you arrive ( also a sainsburys and tesco are close buy for food)
The free toiletries provided by the hotel were not only really good but replenished fresh every day and the chocolate turn down service was a lovely treat although as noted by other guests they sometimes did come a little to early.

Watch out for the following
We had room service one night when I ordered some of their rustic bread to go with a bean and sausage casserole I made, they brought me 12 slices of bread and charge me £9.00 ( I later found out that the hotel purchases the bread from a local bakery called E2)

Free cocktails are given as a treat make sure you hand the vouchers in and don't just order any off the menu as it only qualifies you for the house punch or a glass of wine or beer ( how is wine or beer a cocktail?)

breakfast in the corner room is great lovely breakfast room again beautifully stylish with a retro feel. For an extra £4 on top of the £15 standard breakfast charge you can order something hot, on the last day we did I ordered hash browns, bacon and mushrooms. It was dreadful the bacon was so salty it made me feel sick, the mushrooms looked like slime on my plate and the hash browns were presented as tiny squares of slightly spiced potatoes covered in sugar. One of my party had bacon and eggs with hash brown and hated it and another in our party had the vanilla porridge all of it was dreadful. However the continental breakfast was great and worth the money. The staff were attentive and pleasant. If you are just having the continental I highly recommend the breakfast but beware of the hot food.

The art work
Have a wonder round the hotel and look at the art work it really is amazing two of my party are doing an art degree and loved the vibe of the place and found it inspirational. A brilliant chap on reception called Tunda ( sorry if I spelt your name wrong) offered to give us a tour of the building and art work without any promoting he was lovely and really went out of his way. i will say this about the Town Hall they do try to make each guest feel special and welcome and I found the staff in general to be extremely pleasant and polite.
The area
I have never stayed in East London before but I found it a very Bohemian and friendly area on the Saturday we walked down by the cannel and up to the broadway market, we were greeted with a vast area of small shops, cafes and market stalls selling everything fro t-shirts to pans and also the widest variety of delicious take away foods I have ever seen we settled on a stall selling spicy butternut squash and pasta salad with some crusty french bread this was perfect. The people were friendly and lovely with a real carnival atmosphere to the place. The market is every Saturday and I highly recommend it
On the last night I booked a meal at the trendy bistrotech restaurant . It was a 5 minute walk from the hotel and based in a disused factory, the food was gorgeous and reasonable priced for four of us with wine at £104 I highly recommend it . It was a very cool place which I hear celebrities use apparently its one of Keira Knightly fav spots although she was not their on our night out.
The nearby childhood museum is worth a visit as well just two mins from the hotel and it was actually really fascinating.
Other things we did
I often work in London so I have seen and done a lot already but I have never had afternoon tea at the ritz which is what we did on Monday it was lovely and really special a bit pricy at £42 per head but worth every penny just remember to pre book as its always sold out a coupe of months in advance
Tate modern- We also visited the Tate modern and the Damien Hurst exhibition which is really worth a look and very interesting my favorite bit was the butterflies although my daughter and her boyfriend loved the mother and calf sliced in half and found it fascinating.

Finally Bethnal Green tube station is just a stones throw from the town Hall and easy to get around on it only took 20 mins to get from Euston to Bethnal Green however it could take longer in the rush hour. All in all a great stay and I will defiantly come back to the London apartments.

Room Tip: G7 had the best bathroom, G6 had a lovely kitchen, LG2 was a great twin bed apartment but was in the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank JanetteD

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I appreciate your dedication in giving such detailed feedback, which I enjoyed reading. I was sorry to read that we did not have the apartment ready with the specification requested at the time of your arrival, and how frustrating this most have been for you and your family. I am pleased to hear though that we were able to turn this negative starting point to a very positive one as you mentioned on your feedback. I regret to read the comments on the breakfast at the Corner Room, which I have already shared with the relevant department and asked their HOD to investigate on it. There were many other negative points, as well as very positive ones, which I am honestly glad that you brought them to my attention. It is great know that, although your stay has been marred by few negative points, you and your family genuinely loved the hotel, the apartments style and the service our staff provided by being attentive and always going that extra mile. Please accept my sincere apologies for missing the opportunity to create a 100% positive experience for you and your family in this occasion and I hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. In the meantime, should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is an excellent hotel in a good location and is good value 5 star. I booked directly with the hotel and chose a double bed room, so not an apartment like many reviewers. I was very pleased. I liked the way they have kept so much of the ‘old decorations’ (wood panelling etc.). The room was reasonable size with plenty of storage space and comfortable chairs. Especially thoughtful was the long lead on the hairdryer! All staff were excellent. Corner room breakfast great. Have written a separate review of Viajante.

Irritating things- In room 115, once the shower had been used the water flowed in front of the wash basin & stayed there(even after we returned from breakfast) as the slope was not sufficient. No double glazing meant outside noise intruded (shouting groups at 3am). At check in having to use a ‘clip board’ as there is no flat desk space.

2  Thank SilverTraveller
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. Although your overall stay was a quite positive experience and you were very satisfied with the size of our double room, the Corner Room breakfast and the hotel restoration being excellent, some other areas left you a little disappointed. It is indeed regretful that we did not anticipate this technical problem earlier, which resulted in not receiving a 100% score. I hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Absolutely loved my stay here. Rooms were huge, bathrooms great and service was outstanding.
You're only a few tube stops from the West End & get so much more for your money just that short distance from the centre.
If they'd fix the following it would be perfect. Gorgeous Aesop products in the toilets but generic not very special toiletries in the bathrooms. Breakfast buffet is very basic and lacking things you'd expect as standard at this level like fruit salad, cold meats & cheeses. Breakfast service was a little shaky & the overspill room not particularly attractive.
Look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: We chose one of the smaller studio rooms. It was still huge with a full kitchen & washing machin...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is great to read that the outstanding apartments size, the bathroom and services received, contributed to make your stay with us a fantastic experience. Thank you for mentioning how convenient it is to travel to the West End and the good value for money you get, against other central London hotels. I am sorry to hear that you were not really satisfied with the breakfast selection, which comments have already been shared with the F & B manager. I am happy to confirm that we are searching for a more interesting quality set toiletry at the moment, to replace the present ones. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We booked this hotel based on reviews, and then it began to appear everywhere - an article in the New York Times, a fabulous mention in a Frommer's Guide. These sources were not to disappoint: the place is amazing! From the brilliantly warm reception to the delight of a bright and sunny, fully outfitted, one-bedroom apartment, our incredible welcome to London set the tone for a very special vacation.

The people you encounter when traveling far from home can make or break the experience, and the staff at the Town Hall are superb. They are most gracious, helpful, and knowledgeable and take the time to make you feel very welcome. If you have a sensibility for architectural historic preservation, this place is a perfect destination. The transformation from municipal landmark to luxury hot spot has been top notch; you can even visit the intact council chamber room! And any concerns about location are for naught. London's East End rocks! It is a pleasant escape from the tourist trap neighborhoods, with plenty of culture and local gems to explore: funky house museums, farmer's markets, music and food, and the Town Hall is ideal for anyone attending this summer's Olympic games.

I must mention the care and concern that has gone into the guest rooms: a fine blend of vintage and boldly modern design that is both stimulating and comforting. And the place is happening. From a sleek corner booth in the Viajante Bar to a cozy late dinner in the Corner Room, the Town Hall serves style and some of the best dishes this foodie has ever experienced! We spent our first and last nights in London here and both evenings are fond and happy memories.

As I stated, this place is amazing. It can be a terrific value as well; check out the array of packages offered. We cannot wait to return for another East End, Town Hall adventure. Thank you to all the wonderful people who made our visit so very special.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the one-bedroom apartment, but the guest rooms in general are surprisingly spacious. Not...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I am pleased to hear that our guests comments, prompted you to choose us for your stay in London and that the articles you read about us proved to be true. Thank you for detailing your experince in the way you did. It is always a pleasure to read a feedback from guests that appreciate what kind of artwork has been created with the restouration of this magnificent building. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that my colleagues were always ready to provide you with excellent service, promptly and courtesiously all the way through. I enjoyed reading your comment on the location which you are right, it is one of the hottest areas in London at the moment. I am glad to know that you loved the Corner Room food from our patron chef Nuno Mendes, which together with the Viajante, they have become a mecca for foodies in London and beyond. I hope to be able to welcome you back with us in the near future and should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights because of gallery business nearby. The hotel is smart, discreet, everything is done carefully and comfortably. It's also remarkably good value. Whilst the main restaurant is a bit of a food church, the Corner Room is the opposite - friendly, casual, sun-drenched and with superb food. I ate breakfast lunch and dinner there one day. Not sure if it'd be the right place if all your business was in central or west London; but if you're east at all, you won't find better.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It pleases me to know that enjoyed your stay with us and that you thought the hotel is smart, discreet and comfortable. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the food at the Corner Room restaurant and thank you for your comments differentiating the food style between the 2 restaurants. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London and I can confirm that your feedback will be shared with all the team here. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole