“Luxury in East London”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #215 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Recently stayed here for 3 days and I couldn't fault it. Visiting my daughter who lives off Brick Lane so a good location.
We were upgraded to an apartment which was so well designed and appointed I was very impressed. But before this even we arrived early and could not check in do they let us use the pool (yes lovely indoor pool) and gym to shower and change, they ten stored our bags and we didn't waste any time at all. The included breakfast was very substantial with fresh fruit salad, cheeses, meats, toast and pasteries all served by super friendly staff. We also ate in the Corner Room one night and it was very good also.
The room was very comfortable and modern, with a big bathroom with bath and shower, robes and luxurious towels. Also an interesting aside the hotel had been used as a film set before conversion from the Town Hall and there is a list of all the films represented. Also if you are into art there is a great selection of quirky art all over the hotel from local artists.
This was a great find and I would definately stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It really pleases me to see your generous score and feedback. It is always nice to hear our guests appreciating the hotel restoration, where original features have been maintained and stylish apartment with previous century trends mixed together. It is great to know that you were impressed with the THH and that you liked the vibe of East London ever changing scenery. I am glad to see that you appreciated your room upgrade and thank you for detailing our apartment appliances, breakfast selection and other extras inclusive in your rate. It is also nice to know that you liked dining at the Corner Room and please allow me to suggest that you give a try of our Viajante restaurant testing menu from our Patron Chef Nuno Mendes on your next stay. (Please note that advance reservation is required). I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed. It is indeed true that the building has been a set for over 30 films in total and that we promote artefact from upcoming artist in our public areas. We will be honoured to host you again at the THH and should you decide to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you with any enquiry you may have. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 9 October 2012

If you have small children then this hotel is top notch. Friendly staff, lovely rooms, everything works and is of top quality. Wonderfully close to the (free entry) childhood museum, the spectacular Victoria Park and easy to get to anywhere in London. The area is full of variety and activity, entertaining to walk around and very safe. Yet the hotel is quiet and peaceful. My only gripe would be that the food service does not cater well for children but across the road is an excellent little Italian restaurant that more than saw to our needs. Have spent five weeks travelling Europe in top hotels and we decided that this was our favourite!

1  Thank Sandie G

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. My team and I are flattered by your comment that of all the hotel you travelled during you touring of Europe, THH came at the top of the list. We are absolutely honoured and privileged to have been so highly thought and definitely a motivation factor for all of us. I am pleased to know that my fellow colleague’s approach when providing customer service was friendly and most helpful at all times. Thank you for mentioning the nearby places to visit and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused with the kid’s food lack of options. I have already brought this to the attention of our F&B manager, which confirmed that they are actually looking on improving the kid’s options for lunch and dinner in the Corner Room restaurant. Thank you for your generous score, comments and for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London. I hope to be able to welcome you back soon and should you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist with any enquiry you may have. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Really check that you want to be in the East End, its easy to get to the City and out to the West but if you want to spend your time there don't book so far out.
This was a return visit for us because we think it's a lovely hotel and we wanted to be in the East End.
The building is stunning with so many original features retained and wonderful artefacts all around .
The rooms that we have stayed in have been beautiful , we have stayed in suites each time as we have been with our Children.
The Staff are wonderful- very attentive and friendly .
It's a really lovely place to stay offering the option to self cater or eat out. The fridge is stocked with chilled water and cartons of milk and if you are staying for any length of time there are washer driers in the rooms as well and all beautifully presented.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is great to know of your repeated stay at the THH and pleased to know that you liked the way the building was restored by preserving many original features and the additional artefact from local artists, well distributed all around our public areas. I am glad to hear that you liked our apartments and that you found them comfortable. It nice to know that you found the kitchenette useful and you were impressed by all the appliances included in it. It is nice to see that you appreciated our fridge stock and thank you for suggesting the apartment set up is good for long stays too. It is always nice to know that all my colleagues were friendly and helpful all the time and I can confirm that your comments have been shared with them all. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back soon. Should you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist with any enquiry you may have. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful weekend stay here as we were attending a wedding reception at the hotel. I just love what they've done with the building - design feels very stylish but not over the top and it has a welcoming feel about it. I felt very at home there. The room was really comfortable - we had a one-bed apartment, kitchen was well-equipped, bed was extremely comfy, bathroom spacious although (and this is my only complaint) the overall room size could have been a bit bigger. The food was exquisite - beautifully prepared, fresh ingredients. For breakfast I enjoyed the house bacon with duck egg and their take on a hash brown - delicious. Plus a sumptuous buffet of the usual continental breakfast, again all excellent. Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel provided cots for our two little ones with no extra charge and our children were made to feel welcome. We used the pool which was in a lovely relaxing setting, all towels, slippers and gowns were provided. Would happily return here for a relaxing break - it's a really comfortable, tranquil place to stay, bang in the middle of East London.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I am delighted to hear of your experience during your stay and glad to know that you really loved the hotel restoration and the stylish apartment. It is always nice to see our guests commenting on the conversation of this magnificent building into a fine hotel and great to know that you really felt familiar with the hotel, almost feeling like you were at home. Your comment bang right to the core of what we intend to do here. It pleases me to know that you enjoyed our in-house food produced by our starred patron chef Nuno Mendes. Perhaps if you loved his food you should try his Viajante Restaurant testing menu, on your next visit, which I can guarantee, it is a unique culinary experience. It is great that you enjoyed our swimming pool and you were more than satisfied with the service level from my colleagues in all departments. Thank you so much for your encouraging feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back at the THH in the near future. In the meantime, should you require my assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy assist you with any enquiry you may have. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Loved loved LOVED it here. Stayed for just under a week and it felt like I was living in an incredibly cool loft apartment. Open concept layout, chic kitchenette hidden behind a wall that slides open, cool mid-century living room furnishings, and a crazy bathroom that opened up right onto the bedroom (you could slide a curtain and a hidden door if you wanted to, but where's the fun in that?). Lots of space -- really felt like an apartment more than a hotel. And the building is great, too -- very stylish and yet cozy at the same time. Gorgeous lap pool (bring your bathing suit) plus very cool east end location. At a great price. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is nice to receive your generous feedback and I am glad to hear that you loved the hotel and the apartment’s design. Thank you for detailing your feedback in the way you did, which I am sure will be helpful to other potential guests looking to visit London. It is great to know that you loved the open space concept, the see through bathroom wall, the kitchenette with its appliances, which allows your stay to be even more pleasant and comfortable. I am pleased to know that you made use of our swimming pool with skylight above it and that you enjoyed the coolness of the East End. It has been an honour to have had staying with us and I have shared your comment with all the team here. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back soon. Should you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist with any enquiry you may have. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Let me start with the positives, the staff were generally great, (except for 1 waiter in the bar with a bad attitude) the corner room restaurant was also great food and reasonable prices, and the shared areas are beautiful.

However the room fitments - in our case a Feature Double were terrible, it was terribly laid out and had a huge unit of white and glass with empty shelves and exposed shelf fittings with no shelves on. It felt like a half finished MFI kitchen come bathroom, definitely not a 5 star fit and felt cheap and ill thought out. The vintage furniture in the room was nice but was placed badly and all felt thrown together, there was also a very ugly white fridge just stuck by the door, something you'd expect to find in a 50 quid a night place.

Overall the building and shared spaces are great but they really need to sort the room/ rooms (well the one we were in 102) out, whoever their interior designer was, needs to have a rethink.

I'd go for the Dean Street Town House if you're looking for a nice hotel, they just seem to get everything right.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RRRRobin

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor, on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is regretful to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you did not like the room design. It saddens me to know that you did not get a nice feeling from one of our feature’s rooms, which are normally very popular with our guests. I am pleased to hear that you though our staff was nice and your comment on the barman has already been shared with our F&B and bar manager. We do welcome all kind of feedback from our client and I can assure you that we take them on board and share them with all our team here. Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering a satisfactory experience for you in this occasion but I hope that at some point in the future, we will be able to welcome you back and should you require any further assistance from me please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 4 October 2012

A beautiful and well kept building, but way off center,in an area that has nothing to offer.

The hotel is too big to be called a boutique hotel. The design is inconsistent at best, with stuffed animals, old dentist chairs and some other bizarre decoration choices, which have nothing in common.

The one bedroom apartment was very spacious, although we've encountered some major maintenance issues and technical failures.

The staff is generally friendly, especially at the concierge post, but the front desk clerks and Viajante bartenders are definitely not.

The non-inclusive breakfast is less than minimal, with not even a whole-wheat bread or a low-fat yogurt. For the price they charge for it, I'd definitely expected more.

To sum it all up - not a "Design Hotel" and not a boutique one. At best, an adequate place to stay at, if you need to be in that area, although The nearby Boundary should offer a more pleasant atmosphere.

A late addition: the sleep quality rating is low mostly due to the peculiar glass wall between the bedroom and the bathroom, resulting in a well-lit bedroom whenever someone attends the bathroom/toilet in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: if you decide to stay there after all, at least go for a spacious apartment (at least 30 sqm), this...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
I regret to hear that we missed a great opportunity to create a positive experience for you on this occasion. It is unfortunate that you did not appreciate the hotel design and that you though the hotel to be too big to belong to the Design Hotel. I am sorry to hear that some of my colleagues did not extend their usual customer service quality level at and the selection of food on the buffet during breakfast was not quite what you were expecting. I am also sorry for all the other inconveniences outlined on your feedback and I am absolutely mortified to know that we did not live up to the expected level in this occasion. I can assure you that all your comments have been taken on board by the management and have been shared with all the team here and I hope one day you would give us a second chance. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay and I hope this incidents will not deter your from visiting us again in the future. Should you require any further assistance from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you personally. Many thanks and kind regards. Sandro Desole