“Definitely a place to come back!”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #174 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We booked a two bedroom apartment with a kitchen. Each bedroom had its own bathroom and there were two cushions for each bed, a softer and a harder one. There was even a washing machine and a dryer in our room. The kitchen was large with all accessories (salt, pepper, sugar, tee, coffee, toaster, water cooker, pans, oven, fridge and even a dishwasher) we needed and we got free water bottles and milk twice a day. The kitchen could be entirely hidden with foldable cupboard doors. Everything was very clean and in very good condition. Every evening they placed a nice bedtime snack in our room. The rooms were very quiet, we never heard a sound from adjacent room or the floor. We also liked the swimming pool very much!

1  Thank FerienGeniessende
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your kind review left on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that all what we put in place fitted the purpose of enhance your stay to a fantastic experience. Your words highlight how our room/apartment concept is developed to accommodate every kind of guest, from the single traveller to the family who loves to cook their own meals. It is our way to make you really feel at home. I am also glad to read about the quietness of the rooms, pivotal factor for a nice stay. I take you on your words on the title of the review and I am looking forward to your next visit. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

There are newer reviews for Town Hall Hotel

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Great Hotel Service Apartment equipped with a “hidden” kitchen and laundry facilities. The hotel provided free Wi-Fi service with good broadband service that easy access the internet.

Love their evening service with macaron that served in the room with a nice cup of fresh brewed coffee, which normally I go for decaf.

The hotel is 15 min away for the nearest Tube, nice walk when the weather is great. When it rains … just said am not a fun of walking under the rain.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Lee J D

Dear Guest, I have really appreciated your thorough description of the hotel with all its peculiarities. Thank you for these kind words left on Tripadvisor. It is nice to read about the guest’s satisfaction, this gives us a very useful feedback to understand where we are doing well and where to improve. I am glad to read that we did not fall short your expectations and I can grant you that this will be our hallmark for each and every of your future visits. We cannot wait to welcome you back. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We've booked two apartments in this hotel. For one of the apartments we've got an upgrade! That was fantastic. It was spacious, tidy and it felt almost like a home. The beds were heavenly and so was the bathroom with its big bath and rain-shower.

The neighborhood was good. Not far away from the underground and as we travelled by car, we were so happy with our free parking place in front of the hotel (only weekends).

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The kids (two girls 9 and 10) loved the swimming pool.

Enough reasons to say: Yes, we do want to come back to the Town Hall Hotel!

Room Tip: We've seen two apartments. Both were great!
1  Thank FloorKik-Heerebout

Dear Guest, what a nice review written on Tripadvisor, thank you for that!. It is good to read that after three years of activity our guest are still fascinated by the spaciousness and comfort of the rooms, and consider the Town Hall Hotel a mandatory stop when in London. It is also nice to read about how family friendly our structure is and how much everyone from the toddler to the mature one loves our swimming pool. We will cherish your promise, please come back! We will give you even more reason for it! any thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I've been at least thirty times in London on business trips and since this hotel is bookable according to our travel policy I return whenever it is available. It is such a contrast to this newly-rich vulgar looking interiors of so many international hotel chains - you name it. I like this straight, tastefull, down-to-earth aesthetics, respecting the old town hall building, but adding something modern in an unintrusive way.
The staff is excellent, friendly and respectful.
I stayed in a room on the 1st floor and in a suite in the lower ground, both are recommendable.
There might be more fancy parts of London, but being 5 minutes away of a Central Line station this doesn't matter.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest, Let me begin this answer telling you how much I appreciate this experienced traveller point of you. It is nice to read that having stayed in many hotels you prefer the warm cosiness and friendly approach of the Town Hall Hotel. This is what we aim to read in every review. Thank you for these nice words left on Tripadvisor. We put all our passion in what we do from the flowers in the lobby to the fully equipped bedrooms passing from the professionalism of our staff and the kindness of our housekeepers to the beauty of our building , all with an unique goal in mind, your satisfaction. Rest assured we will carry on this way in order to give you always our best and welcome you time after time! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Fantastic heritage building with great design decor through out.
The suite I stayed in was on the ground floor and peaceful, well furnished and the concealed washer/dryer is useful especially if your mid travels on a extended trip. The in room wi-fi did occasionally fail to connect on my smartphone and my computer randomly during my stay which was annoying.

Helpful and enthusiastic staff, the breakfast choice and quality was very good and tasty and served in a great environment. Did not get a chance to try the highly rated restaurant on this occasion.

Location: Close to the Central line underground station (15/20min to west end) and served by plenty of buses this is a ideal base to explore the forever changing landscape of East London.
Within a short walk are Broadway Market and the Sunday flower market at Columbia Road with it's variety of boutique shops etc (Nelly Duff Gallery my favourite).

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank singec

Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for your very informative review left on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that the Town Hall Hotel experience was thoroughly enjoyable. Let me apologize for the problems you experienced with the Wi-fi, I am sorry to read about that. Rest assured I am taking all the necessary measures, I spoke already with the maintenance department which is coming up with few solutions so that you will have the full network potential for your next visit. On the other hand, I am glad to read that you enjoyed the Breakfast and are willing to try our Michelin starred restaurant in future, if I may, this is an authentic experience not to be missed! I am looking forward to your next visit. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Fantasic hotel. 2 rooms apartment and 2 bathhrooms.very helpful and friendly staff. Swimmingpool area was nice. The Hotel is very clean. Nice with Victoria Park 5 minutts away. Family friendly. 5 min away from Bethnal Green tube stadion. Central line direct into Oxford street. Change Line at holborn stadion to picadilly line to Get to Heathrow .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
OpsMng, Director of operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Guest, I am pleased to read about your stay and the title you chose :”Fantastik”. Thank you for these nice words left on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that the staff was helpful and directed you everywhere in London and to the airport. Please make sure to come back and visit us again, your double bedroom apartment will be ready for you! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 12 October 2013

The THH is a great value. A fix star hotel with 3 star prices. The main reason why this is such a great value is because Bethnal Green has yet to experience the level of gentrification that the Shoreditch area has experienced. If THH were located a few miles west near Liverpool Street Station, room prices would double.

But signs of gentrification were there when we visited: New condos/flat under construction nearby; a popular Italian restaurant opened earlier this year across the street; Foodie Broadway Market experiencing great success 15 minutes walk away, etc). The Google Maps view of Cambridge Heath Road (from when they took those images 1-2 years ago) and when we stayed in Sept was very different. And I anticipate the area to really take off by 2015 (though no guarantees).

Even if the area remains the same, THH has lots to offer for those who want to avoid the tourist hoards: 1) The local institution E. Pellicci (with rave reviews from pretty much everyone) is just a short bus ride away and 8 minutes walk from the tube station 2) Hipster Brick Lane, Shoreditch, Truman Brewery, Broadway Market and Hackney in the East End are all nearby 3) V&A Children's Museum is next door 4) Tube Station is 5 minutes walk -- not a touristy walk but we never felt unsafe 5) Buses to Tower of London, Liverpool Street Station stops pretty much in front of the side entrance of the hotel 6) Michelin Star Viajante and amazing Corner Room restaurant are located within the hotel. 7) Regular corporate and wedding events held in the meeting rooms means that this has become a "happening" place.

We loved the fresh milk and macaroons we got every day. Also loved the interesting design touches throughout the hotel and the history of the place as a former town hall. Having a washer/dryer (not available in all rooms) meant traveling light and avoiding having to check-in luggage at the airport. Out of the way location meant no traffic noise at night and fighting crowds during the day. The free weekday shuttle to Liverpool Street Station or Bank Street was very convenient if we wanted to avoid rush hour traffic on the Tube.

I got the sense that the staff was still a little green and inexperienced. They were earnest -- eager to help. They were not like the polished folks who have worked for years at the Ritz or Four Seasons. So if you're used to traditional polished 5 star service, this hotel will probably not fit the bill. And that could explain some of the feedback here where the service was less than polished. But we experienced a staff with their heart in the right place.

There were still some rough edges:

1) There were no doorman at the entrance to help guests with their luggage up the stairs to the hotel. Perhaps building a ramp would help the perplexed guests we saw looking around, wondering if they were in the right place and struggling to carry up their bags up the stairs.

2) The US socket in our room didn't seem to work. But we easily got a converter from the front desk.

3) The hangers were the "US budget motel variety" that only worked in the closet and not anywhere else. Surely no "five star" hotel would have those types of hangers but they did. Are they really worried about theft of hangers? It seemed out of place given that we had nice fluffy robes, slippers and upscale amenities like ipod docking station and extra high ceilings.

4) The sound carried in the hotel and we heard the music from the events. But both weekend events are the hotel stopped before 11pm - which seemed reasonable.

5) There was a little misunderstanding with our room booking but the staff was great in resolving it and making things right when we checked in.

All in all, if you're interested in exploring East London -- THH is a great option. We had a great stay -- enhanced by the wonderful staff

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ALTippet
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Guest let me begin this answer telling you how much I appreciated your very insightful review left on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your precious highlights and your suggestions. We cherish all our guests’ reviews, especially when they come from a very experienced traveller’s pen, because they give us the chance to improve in those details that make the whole difference. Rest assured that I put already in place the necessary improvements, I met with the Heads of Departments involved and made sure that the improvements will be acted immediately. You came in a particular stage of our life as hotel and we had few new comers in the front office team and this might explain why the service was wholehearted but still lacking some professionalism. I am really confident that this will not be the case for your next visit! I appreciated the journalist cut review of the neighbourhood which describe well what is going on in this part of the town and the precious information given about the transportation, very useful for whomever is planning a trip in London and is choosing the hotel where to stay. I am looking forward to welcome you again!
Many Thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole