“A friendly home from home”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #172 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A friendly home from home”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I spent almost 4 weeks staying at The Townhall on business. The staff made us feel so at home and were all so helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and in fact the reception staff and concierge went out of their way to help. The building is full of character although the bedroom furnishings may not be to everyone's taste, my only criticism in this regard was the lack of wardrobe space, particularly if you are staying more than 2 days or so. The apartments are nicely fitted with a modern kitchenette and the fridge is stocked with complimentary water and fresh milk. There is also a nice coffee machine with coffee pods provided. The bathrooms are modern and good quality robes and slippers are provided. We stayed in a variety of apartments during our stay, our favourites were on the 3rd floor being quieter and brighter. The swimming pool is lovely and remains open until late. This was our first time staying in this part of London but it was a pleasant surprise. I would highly recommend The Townhall Hotel and Apartments for either a business stay or a special romantic break.

Room Tip: Third floor is quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Siobhan3556
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Guest, it is great to read your review left on TripAdvisor thank you for the nice words. I am pleased to learn that we were able to live up to your expectations in terms of quality service and that you were more than pleased to the amount of products you received included in the room rate of your suite. As per the wardrobe space, I am sorry to hear that the wardrobe in your suite was not big enough. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion. For future reference should you require further wardrobe space, please do let us know ans we will provide you with a portable rail to place in the suite for your extra comfort. It is indeed an honour to know that beside this inconvenience your stay was a very pleasant experience and I look forward to welcome you back at the THH in the near future. Many thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We spend 2 nights on this apartments and I´m really surprise for the incredible room that we had. Lovely furnished with modern and confortable style. Plain of details and fantastic amenities ( L´Occitane ). Free water, coffe and tea on the room. Breakfast is served in a pretty saloon, hight quality on all their products...specially the orange juice.
100% recommended!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest, first and foremost Congratulations!! for you special day and I delighted to hear that you spent you first wedding night with us. It goes without saying that we feel flattered by your decision to stay with us and very encouraging to know that you enjoyed your stay as this experience will always stay with you and it is just great to know that we were part of it too. Thank you for your kind words on the staff, which I am sure will be well received and should I be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many Thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our two bedroom apartment on the ground level, G27, was very spacious with high ceilings. It had a small bedroom with bathroom on a second level, a ground level kitchen, living and dining area, and a separate bedroom with bathroom. The windows were large, but looked out onto an inside courtyard with no sunlight or views of any sort.

The hotel is interestingly decorated in a old building that made me feel like I was heading off to defend a parking ticket in the courthouse (in a funny way).

The onsite restaurants, Corner Room (3/5 stars) and Viajante (5/5) are both decent options for interesting dining. We had the hotel breakfast on our first morning and found it to be fairly plentiful, although the hot dishes were a bit sloppily made.

The room we stayed in appeared to have been subjected to many parties in the past, which was a bit heartbreaking considering the heritage of this building.

The friendly concierge offhandedly confirmed this when we mentioned this room and he said "Yes, that's the party room." There were many black scuffs all over the walls and floors in spots that are fairly impossible to reach sober, and what appeared to be a chocolate stain right on the main light switch next to the front door. The second floor bathroom smelled heavily of 'dirty shower curtain'. The second floor bedroom had quite some terrible design features. There's an air vent placed 2 feet away from the head of the bed on the left side, so if you wanted air at all throughout the night you get this torturous circumstance of having air blown directly onto your face from the vent all night. If the suite's A/C or heating was on at all, there was a unit hidden in the wall on the second floor that would emit a low rumbling and vibration similar to standing on a heat vent above a subway station.

The height clearance on the second floor was not enough for my boyfriend, who at the very average height of 5'11" hit his head on several occasions. He remarked that typically something with such miserable height clearance tends to have a yellow and black warning strip on it for liability reasons.

There was misleading signage in the second bedroom, and several dangerous 'lips' between the bathroom tiles and hardwood floor.

This hotel is "architect-designed" in the same way that many health products are described to be "doctor-recommended". I see that whoever made this space went to school for it, but whether they necessarily did a good job on this project, I really don't think so.

The hotel is located in a part of town you have to very specifically want to be in. If this is your first time in London or you don't care for neighborhoods described almost exclusively as "up-and-coming": the age of this building, its some good and many terrible design features and the somewhat good value may not be enough to make your stay a good one.

We booked a taxi with the concierge. The hotel is engaged with its own taxi company, so you will have to negotiate fares prior to your destination, we were too polite to ask about this until the end so I'm just going to assume there was self regulation involved. Our taxi driver parked the car and left us in it at a McDonald's halfway between the hotel and London for unknown reasons for about 10 minutes, which was a bit alarming. He was kind and polite though, so frankly we were kind of worried he wasn't getting proper breaks.

Despite the points I mentioned, this hotel definitely was on the good rather than the bad side. If you set some proper expectations, you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank elmiaberlin
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciated your kind feedback on the building and the restaurants, which I am delighted to hear you liked them. Regarding your comment on G27, I investigated with concierge and it appears that there must have been some misunderstanding. What our concierge attempted to explain was that G27 has a very large surface, as large as to host a party and not that this suite is a party room since we have many other areas in our where parties are held. With regards the heights of the loft, everything was done according to building regulations and minimum high requirements. The accident with the Taxi as described on your feedback it is very bizarre happening. It is the first time that a driver from our selected company has been reported with such behaviour. The taxi company we us, provides us with a full post code price list for all the destinations in London and this costs are transparently communicated all our guests at time of booking. The service provided to you by our third parties company is far from what we offer our guests with. It would be very helpful if you could share more details on what happened so we can take the matter with the taxi agency we use. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion if we have fallen short your expectations. I hope this incidents will not deter you from visiting us again in the future and should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on sandro@townhallhotel.com and I will be delighted to assist. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Different, in the positive meaning of the word, for people that like culture and beautifully renovated old buildings. Lots of character, a place unlike others. It has a soul. It has history. People are wonderful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Arie-Lausanne
OpsMng, Director of Operation at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest, I was fascinated by the poetic and still very effective way you used to describe our Town Hall Hotel. Thank you for these wonderful words left on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that your experience was beyond a mere night stay somewhere because in need of a place, it was a discovery of something new, the grasping of the essence of a place by perceiving it through the different messages coming from the history of the building, the smile of the staff and the art in it. This is exactly what we are and I am glad your sensed it. The Town Hall Hotel will be waiting for you many times more! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
London
Reviewed 20 November 2013

An amazing hotel, large clean rooms, excellent service and great facilities it's a real gem!! I am incredibly fussy with very high standards, I don't recommend hotels freely but I would defiantly recommend no this one!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest, I am pleased to read about your stay at the Town Hall Hotel on tripadvisor, thank you for your kind words. I read about how meticulous you are in the choice of hotel and I am glad to see that you gave us the maximum score. Rest assured that we will keep on raising the bar on our services and customer care to give you other memorable stays.
Many Thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Picked the Town Hall Hotel up for a one-night stop on an internet deal, saving a good percentage on the standard rate for a Studio Apartment room. The building itself is beautiful, and a great job has been done of converting it into accommodation.

The apartment room was very interesting, nicely furnished with a mixture of the classic and the contemporary, and with a very clever use of space to house a fully functional kitchen behind folding walls. The bathroom was large, and nicely kitted out, with the glass wall to the sleeping area being an interesting feature to let natural light in from the external windows. (A modesty curtain is included!)

Sleep quality wasn't great for me, but that's likely down to the general difficulties I periodically suffer with sleeping in general, especially away from home. The bed was comfortable, if a little on the soft side for me, and the combination of climate control and large opening windows should allow anyone to find their perfect climate.

As a single-night stay, literally just a bed for the night, we didn't get to try out the facilities but as a place to rest our heads it was a nice touch of luxury compared to our normal option of the nearest budget chain (which, in London, is often not that much cheaper than the deal we got here)

I certainly would look at staying again, for longer, if we find ourselves in London for 3 or 4 nights; that might be dependant on getting the same sort of discounted rate though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for the kind word and the very thorough review left on tripadvisor which highlights your feelings about the hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the building, the hard work put into it to project the refurbishment, the challenge to match the classic character of the furniture with the modern design of the rooms and finally the innovative room setting. I am sorry to read that you din not have the chance to experience all the facilities of the hotel during your last visit but we I am confident you are looking forward to try them all during your next stay!
Many Thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the Town Hall & will be back for certain.

We stayed in an apartment and were impressed with the thoughtful way that the room had been converted - I'm normally keen to get home when I stay in hotels but I wished we stayed for longer at the Town Hall.

All the staff were extremely helpful and polite & clearly took pride in their work.

Although the hotel is located on the fringes of Central London Bethnal Green tube was only approx 5 mins walk away.

We had dinner in Hoxton Square which was within easy walking distance - we also took a walk down Brick Lane which is nearby and directly adjacent to the square mile - you get a different view of London here but there is lots going on if you know where to look.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Robin2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice review left on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to learn that you would have loved to stay with us longer and indeed great to read that you were impressed with the building conversion, your suite and the service received from our staff. I am also very pleased to see that you went out your way to discovery the many treasures this areas has to offer, with its melting pot of cultural diversity, spanning from food to spices and trendy boutiques and vintage stores all around. I hope to be able to welcome you back at the THH in the near future and in the meantime, should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly on this email. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole