“Wow what a place !”

Ranked #175 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Wow what a place !”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Just booked a midweek business stay at the Town Hall hotel in Bethnal Green. At first glance you think oh what have I done as you walk the few minutes from the tube station.
The reception area is just like a town hall and unlike anywhere I have stayed before.
The check in was nice and relaxed with great information from the receptionist.
Now the best bit......
We were in room 102 on the first floor. It was huge with lovely high roof and great contemporary decor. The bed was on a raised podium with big sheepskin rugs around it. The bathroom and shower were very modern and spotlessly clean. In room expresso machine and usual kettle etc, but with a real milk in a little carton in the fridge. A daft thing I know but real attention to detail.
Would I stay here again? You bet I will it is fabulous.
There isa gym and pool etc but I never used them, but they looked excellent quality too.
Whoever had the nerve to convert this beautiful building deserves success. Book it for your next stay in London you will love it.
PS I booked using an American website called priceline. Give that a try as well.

Room Tip: We had room 102 and it was great
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikemoulds
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your leaving us this nice review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to know that you had a nice stay with us and that you loved your suite, the foyer and the other public areas. Your suite was located in the oldest part of the building called the Edwardian Lobby area, which is the original Town Hall site. In a structure like ours the challenge was and still is, to blend two different styles, the high class modern design and antic. Your words underling that we succeeded in this delicate process. I am glad to hear that everything contributed to the enjoyment of your stay and you will comeback sometimer in the future. on behalf of all team here we will be looking forward to welcome you back soon! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Town Hall Hotel was excellent! It was walking distance from a metro (about 10-15 min. from the center of London). The staff was very friendly. It was very spacious and had everything you would need (like a home away from home) it had a full kitchen, washer and dryer, modern bathroom (all in your room). They also have a pool and gym and restaurant in the hotel. There are restaurants around the hotel as well.

Great stay! highly recommend!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms must have all these accommodations but just make sure you request an apartment...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vilmatic
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest, thank you so much for this fintastic reveiw on our TripAdvisor page. I am glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations, enhanced also by the quality of our suites, courtesy with an approachable demenour of our staff service. Needless to say that your feedback is a great source of ncouragemnt to all of us and you can rest assured that we will always try our best in providing a great product with the friendliness service to all our guests visiting the THH. It is nice to see that you also enjoyed the hotel facilities and restuarants. l look forward to have you back to stay with us soon. Many Thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Would have been ideal to be near the city center, however Town Hall offers a unique experience away from the hectic buzz of London city. It is also near great ethnic cuisine e.g. South Asian that is just heavenly. All in all, good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest, thank you for your nice and spot on review left on TripAdvisor page. I am delighted to hear of your complete satisfaction of your long stay with us and great to see that all our efforts have been appreciated by your side. I am sorry to hear that our wardrobes were not specious enough. For future reference, shoudl you be coming back let us know that you would require some extra hanging space and we will bring a portable rail to be placed in the suite immediately.
Once again, thank you so much for your kind feedback and looking forward to welcome you back at the THH in the near future. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
Long Island NY
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Yes I could have stayed at any hotel of my choosing during my London trip. I chose to stay at the Town Hall Hotel and I am glad that I did. QUALITY OF SERVICE: During my stay I was treated like long lost family from the moment that I arrived and through the moment I left (very sad time) by all the hotel staff. Everyone was so attentive to mine and my families needs, no matter how small. We were always greeted with a warm and friendly smile and genuine caring that you will not see in a large chain hotel. I can't say enough about the treatment that we received. ROOM TYPE/CLEANLINESS: During our stay we stayed in a two bedroom apartment which was spacious and very clean and had all the amenities that a family would would need for an extended stay. Our Room had a full kitchen with a full size refrigerator, a dishwasher and washer/dryer. Our room also had plenty of closet space for everyone and an in room safe. Our Room also had 2 full bathrooms (Thank Goodness) which had showers and bathtubs in each of them (real time saver). Beds were very comfortable and made going to sleep each night extremely pleasant. LOCATION: Hotel is located in Bethnal Green section in London's East End which is economically diverse. Town Hall Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Bethnal Green station which is in Zone 3 of the underground. You can purchase an Oyster card at the station which is good for all public transport. Most of the sites in London are in Zone #1, so I would recommend the Pay as you go Oyster card for Zones 1,2 and 3. We also explored the area which had a lot of shops and a diverse choice of restaurants in which to eat. No matter where we went in the local area we were treated warmly. CONCLUSION: When we return to London I can definitely tell you I will be returning back to this Hotel. I want to take the time time Thank Andrea, Priscilla, Francois and everyone else that made my stay wonderful. I MISS YOU GUYS ALREADY.

Room Tip: Stay on the 1st floor if you can. We stayed in Room G26 which was in the corner not bad if you canno...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Veejax64
Dear Guest, I really enjoyed reading your detailed review left on our TripAdvisor page, thank you for these kind words. I am delighted that we did not fall short of your expectations and proud to be recognised as your home away from home. It is great to know that even the single smallest detail contributed to make your stay an unforgetable experience. When you book an hotel, even if it has great reviews with nice comments on the internet, there is always a feeling of expectation mixed with some anxiety till you arrive and in our case, as your initial and final words underline, we did not let you down. Rest assured that we will keep on our process of improvement to give you another nice experience with us. Many thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

My husband and I spent almost 4 weeks staying at The Townhall on business. The staff made us feel so at home and were all so helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and in fact the reception staff and concierge went out of their way to help. The building is full of character although the bedroom furnishings may not be to everyone's taste, my only criticism in this regard was the lack of wardrobe space, particularly if you are staying more than 2 days or so. The apartments are nicely fitted with a modern kitchenette and the fridge is stocked with complimentary water and fresh milk. There is also a nice coffee machine with coffee pods provided. The bathrooms are modern and good quality robes and slippers are provided. We stayed in a variety of apartments during our stay, our favourites were on the 3rd floor being quieter and brighter. The swimming pool is lovely and remains open until late. This was our first time staying in this part of London but it was a pleasant surprise. I would highly recommend The Townhall Hotel and Apartments for either a business stay or a special romantic break.

Room Tip: Third floor is quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Siobhan3556
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Guest, it is great to read your review left on TripAdvisor thank you for the nice words. I am pleased to learn that we were able to live up to your expectations in terms of quality service and that you were more than pleased to the amount of products you received included in the room rate of your suite. As per the wardrobe space, I am sorry to hear that the wardrobe in your suite was not big enough. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion. For future reference should you require further wardrobe space, please do let us know ans we will provide you with a portable rail to place in the suite for your extra comfort. It is indeed an honour to know that beside this inconvenience your stay was a very pleasant experience and I look forward to welcome you back at the THH in the near future. Many thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We spend 2 nights on this apartments and I´m really surprise for the incredible room that we had. Lovely furnished with modern and confortable style. Plain of details and fantastic amenities ( L´Occitane ). Free water, coffe and tea on the room. Breakfast is served in a pretty saloon, hight quality on all their products...specially the orange juice.
100% recommended!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest, first and foremost Congratulations!! for you special day and I delighted to hear that you spent you first wedding night with us. It goes without saying that we feel flattered by your decision to stay with us and very encouraging to know that you enjoyed your stay as this experience will always stay with you and it is just great to know that we were part of it too. Thank you for your kind words on the staff, which I am sure will be well received and should I be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many Thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our two bedroom apartment on the ground level, G27, was very spacious with high ceilings. It had a small bedroom with bathroom on a second level, a ground level kitchen, living and dining area, and a separate bedroom with bathroom. The windows were large, but looked out onto an inside courtyard with no sunlight or views of any sort.

The hotel is interestingly decorated in a old building that made me feel like I was heading off to defend a parking ticket in the courthouse (in a funny way).

The onsite restaurants, Corner Room (3/5 stars) and Viajante (5/5) are both decent options for interesting dining. We had the hotel breakfast on our first morning and found it to be fairly plentiful, although the hot dishes were a bit sloppily made.

The room we stayed in appeared to have been subjected to many parties in the past, which was a bit heartbreaking considering the heritage of this building.

The friendly concierge offhandedly confirmed this when we mentioned this room and he said "Yes, that's the party room." There were many black scuffs all over the walls and floors in spots that are fairly impossible to reach sober, and what appeared to be a chocolate stain right on the main light switch next to the front door. The second floor bathroom smelled heavily of 'dirty shower curtain'. The second floor bedroom had quite some terrible design features. There's an air vent placed 2 feet away from the head of the bed on the left side, so if you wanted air at all throughout the night you get this torturous circumstance of having air blown directly onto your face from the vent all night. If the suite's A/C or heating was on at all, there was a unit hidden in the wall on the second floor that would emit a low rumbling and vibration similar to standing on a heat vent above a subway station.

The height clearance on the second floor was not enough for my boyfriend, who at the very average height of 5'11" hit his head on several occasions. He remarked that typically something with such miserable height clearance tends to have a yellow and black warning strip on it for liability reasons.

There was misleading signage in the second bedroom, and several dangerous 'lips' between the bathroom tiles and hardwood floor.

This hotel is "architect-designed" in the same way that many health products are described to be "doctor-recommended". I see that whoever made this space went to school for it, but whether they necessarily did a good job on this project, I really don't think so.

The hotel is located in a part of town you have to very specifically want to be in. If this is your first time in London or you don't care for neighborhoods described almost exclusively as "up-and-coming": the age of this building, its some good and many terrible design features and the somewhat good value may not be enough to make your stay a good one.

We booked a taxi with the concierge. The hotel is engaged with its own taxi company, so you will have to negotiate fares prior to your destination, we were too polite to ask about this until the end so I'm just going to assume there was self regulation involved. Our taxi driver parked the car and left us in it at a McDonald's halfway between the hotel and London for unknown reasons for about 10 minutes, which was a bit alarming. He was kind and polite though, so frankly we were kind of worried he wasn't getting proper breaks.

Despite the points I mentioned, this hotel definitely was on the good rather than the bad side. If you set some proper expectations, you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank elmiaberlin
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciated your kind feedback on the building and the restaurants, which I am delighted to hear you liked them. Regarding your comment on G27, I investigated with concierge and it appears that there must have been some misunderstanding. What our concierge attempted to explain was that G27 has a very large surface, as large as to host a party and not that this suite is a party room since we have many other areas in our where parties are held. With regards the heights of the loft, everything was done according to building regulations and minimum high requirements. The accident with the Taxi as described on your feedback it is very bizarre happening. It is the first time that a driver from our selected company has been reported with such behaviour. The taxi company we us, provides us with a full post code price list for all the destinations in London and this costs are transparently communicated all our guests at time of booking. The service provided to you by our third parties company is far from what we offer our guests with. It would be very helpful if you could share more details on what happened so we can take the matter with the taxi agency we use. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion if we have fallen short your expectations. I hope this incidents will not deter you from visiting us again in the future and should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on sandro@townhallhotel.com and I will be delighted to assist. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole