“disorganised”

Ranked #172 of 1,068 Hotels in London
los angeles
“disorganised”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Having booked the hotel 3 months in advance, we got a call from them at 4am in the morning the day before informing us that we had been moved to their service flats at Liverpool Street. After a good degree of complaining we finally secured a room in the hotel. Room was good but the whole amateurish experience coupled with the lack of English from the Eastern European staff member that called me at that time of the morning has left me with no option but to give this hotel a Poor rating. My advice is to get staff that speak good English!

3 Thank lafineart
OpsMng, Direcotor of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest, I have carefully read the review left on Tripadvisor and I thank you for those frank words. I am taking very seriously every review and try to get the best out of it in order to improve our services and enhance the guest experience. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused with the moving request of our members gave you. Since we are in a cosmopolite environment we consider practical to have multilingual staff at the reception therefore there is a fair chance that we can well understand the most part of our guest in their own mother tongue. The level of English of our reservation and front desk has been tested by many of our guests and we ever received complaints on the level of our staff communications skills. It saddened me to read that the whole experience was marred by that happening and I would appreciate if you give me the chance to show you for your next stay the high standards level we are prised for by so many guests. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I define a great find as both a wonderful place and a great value. And the Town Hall Hotel in London is just that.

The Hotel is in fact an old town hall, originally built for the Bethnal Green area. It is an imposing stone building, quite substantial in terms of street presence. The "lobby" is small but welcoming, as are the staff. In fact, during our stay, we found the staff to be invariably very warm, polite and helpful. If we needed maps, umbrellas, tickets to the theatre, all was done very quickly. This would be expected at the Connaught, but here the staff are young, and all was done in a very friendly and unpretentious manner, without becoming familiar (if that doesn't sound too pompous).

The hotel has a Michelin-starred restaurant, which we did not try, and a more casual restaurant, which we did not try either, although it looked very welcoming. Had we not had reservations elsewhere, we would certainly have tried the more casual restaurant.

We were planning on having our 20 year old son who was studying in Edinburgh come to stay with us for a few days, so we reserved a one bedroom "apartment." This room was large by any standard, and certainly by London standards. We had a living area (where we installed a roll-away bed for our son), a sleeping area with a very comfortable bed, and a large bathroom with nice amenities. We also had a small kitchen, complete with cupboards, sink, small fridge, and small stove. When we arrived there was bottled water in the fridge (free, and replenished every day), along with milk for the coffee (also free).

Sheets and towels were white, clean, fresh and of high quality. There were large windows in the room, most of which opened, allowing us more control over the room temperature than the air conditioning did (I prefer to sleep in a cold room, and opening the windows allowed us to do that).

Overall, I give the room exceptional marks for everything from size to comfort.

The location of the hotel seems to be the "knock" against it. In some reviews I have seen the area of the hotel referred to as "gritty." My wife and I did not find it gritty, but it is fair to say it is an area in transition. Gentrification is certainly happening, and the closer one gets to central London, the faster it is happening. Personally I feel the hotel will lose some of its charm when the area completely gentrifies.

For those who may be concerned about the area, it is quite residential, there are schools and a children's museum nearby (you pass it on the way to the Tube), and the tube station is quite busy, even later in the evenings. The walk from the Tube to the Hotel is short, and direct, and at no time did we ever feel in any way uncomfortable. Quite the opposite - we felt like we were part of the day-to-day life of London. Not a feeling we get when we stay in Central London.

The Bethnal Green Tube station is on the Central Line, and you are at Bond Street in 20 minutes. But unless one hates the Tube, once you are on it, going a few more stations is really not a big deal. If you must take cabs, and plan on spending time in central London, then it will add up, but there really is no reason to do so, given how efficient the Tube is.

I began this review by mentioning that price was one component of a great find. We were able to find a special rate on-line, and the result was that we paid less than USD 200/night for our room (not including the roll-away bed). I felt so pleased with myself once my wife and I saw the hotel and the room that my wife says I was insufferable for the four days we spent there!

So overall, an interesting and recently renovated physical plant, clean and well maintained rooms of exceptional size, a warm and welcoming staff, and a rate that was an absolute steal for London. That adds up to a great find.

2 Thank Henryws
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for the meaningful review left on Tripadvisor. While I was reading it I felt like in front of a painting in living colours of the hotel and its neighbourhood. This is what helps our guests to choose our hotel, an eye-witness experience sketched paying attention to the small details, which make the big picture more complete and beautiful. I was delighted to read about our staff and the way they delivered the service, about how much you loved your room with all its facilities. I personally liked your notes about the neighbourhood, which sometimes due to its past still bears a bad reputation but nowadays is a very vibrant area with a lot of artists and place to eat, very famous also for its nightlife. I tend to agree that is now residential and the feeling is that you are immersed in the daily living of the real London. I am also glad that you timed the transportation journey which makes easier for the reservation department and for our guests to calculate their A to B journeys. Thank you for this token of appreciation. We are looking forward to welcome you again in future.
Many Thanks and Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We only live up the road, but decided to have a two day mini break in an apartment suite after the new year.
The whole stay was excellent - from the really good £19 two course lunch in the corner room (only criticism there being the charge for bread and butter, but that's a pet hate anywhere), to the fabulous housekeeping staff who were courteous, attentive and happy to accommodate our random nap inflected hours.
The room was spot on for a small family. The well equipped kitchen allowing us to fix snacks for the boy without incurring ridiculous room service charges. Another nice touch was fresh milk and fizzy and still water every day.
One niggle - bed was too short.
Another one? - some of the bathroom fittings were a little careworn, with the shower regualry flooding the floor and seeping upwards into the wood trim.

The pool was lovely, the whole building wonderfully curated and maintained and the staff super kind.

We felt like we were the only ones there, even though it was full. It's nice to stay in a busy hotel and not feel like you're staying in a train station, or be offered 'we're really busy' as an excuse for poor service.

A great hotel - for neighbourhood stays and out of towners alike. Go!

Room Tip: we stayed in an old part of the building, at the front, so no idea what the new rooms are like.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank gill488
OpsMng, Director of Operatons at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for the nice words you used to write your review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to see that even living in the neighbourhood you had an experience like if you were miles away in a very special place and that you fully enjoyed your stay. I am delighted to read the room description you gave and I pick up your suggestion on where to improve to make the guest’s stay perfect. I am glad to read about how much you loved the service received, does not matter if from housekeeping, front desk or the Corner Room. We wait for your return for another special stay. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
Zurich
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We spent a week at this hotel as a family and we had a very good time.

What we liked most was the room, which was spacious and very clean, with a fully equipped kitchenette (with fresh milk and water delivered every day!), a stylish living room, a comfortable bathroom with plenty of surfaces to put our stuff on, a washer and drier (!), two TV screens and a general nice atmosphere. The only thing missing was a proper wardrobe to put our clothes in.

We also enjoyed a lot both the swimming pool and the fitness room, very well designed and well kept.

The personnel was generally very polite, helpful and efficient: We complained about the shower hose being broken in the morning and when we came back in the evening we found that it had been replaced. Very good!

We also loved the neighboorhood: Very lively, vibrant and interesting, with a low rate of tourists. Nearby there is a pleasant walk along a several miles long canal.

At the hotel we missed only two things: a bigger hall and an easy to find hotel bar (we never noticed there was one...) on one hand, and a Turkish bath by the swimming pool on the other (this way the pool area would be perfect).

One last thing (which I forgot to mention to Mr. Desole during the very pleasant discussion we had on our last day): We ate twice at The Corner Room and unfortunately the restaurant is too expensive for the quality of food and service it offers (service too slow, cuisine trying very hard but not succeeding, strange and not tasty dessert at all, bad wine). It migh seem like a strange critique as we had both Christmas dinner and Christmas lunch at The Corner Room, but we didn't find any other restaurant open nearby and we ended up eating twice the same menu, which was quite unfortunate.

This said, we LOVED THE TOWN HALL HOTEL and will recommend it any time. Thanks a lot for a very pleasant stay!

... E un grazie al signor Desole e al suo team! :-)

4 Thank Kenlodwa
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest, I really appreciated you thorough review left on Tripadvisor which beyond highlighting how satisfied you and your family were for your stay gives us practical suggestion to raise even more our bar towards the guest satisfaction. I am delighted to read about the staff, the facilities, the room and the fact that you grasped the essence of our neighbourhood where east and west meet and the variety is the main characteristic. I could not help anyway to read about your experience at the Corner Room, and I am sad to read that such a popular restaurant did not meet your expectations. I will look into the matter and see what could be done to improve in this area. I will cascade your good notes to all my team and we will all wait for your return.
Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
Jersey
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel for the second time over new year and had another great stay.
The hotel staff are all really friendly and made us feel right at home.
I LOVE the rooms and the decor, each room is different and so it is a nice surprise every time we go back. Compared to other London hotels you also get a lot more for what you pay for, the apartments are so nice and spacious and feel like you have your own flat in London!
We also ate at the Corner Room restaurant this time which had really good food and well priced, the staff there was also very friendly and accommodating.
Looking forward to staying again.

Room Tip: If the weather is bad ask for a room on one of the lower floors as the rain was pretty noisy!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah-Jane b
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest, what a nice beginning for your review! A very nice title that underlines since he beginning your feeling about our hotel. I am glad to see that this was not your first stay and the memory of the positive experience was confirmed by another good stay. Thank you for your kind words on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our rooms with their different settings and colours and time and again our staff is our signature. I am glad also to read about the very positive experience you had at the Corner Room, our other trademark. Rest assured our passion for our guests and our job will never fade and you will enjoy it every time you will be back. Many thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Having very happily stayed here in the summer (see August review) we decided to stay again whilst in London before Christmas. We were not disappointed. The staff were as excellent as ever (on first check-in we had been given the wrong room but this was quickly sorted out and we got the apartment we wanted) and the kitchen facilities in the room spot-on for those travelling with a baby. The clientele is also a nice mixture - foreign tourists wanting a good hotel without West End prices, thick beard and thin trouser Hoxton types and thirty-something 'dual income no kids yet' couples down in London for the weekend. Great place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words left on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you had another excellent stay with us. I am always delighted when I read good comments about us but when they come from a repeating guests, this is something special, a confirmation of a very good first impression. I am pleased to read about our staff, which time and again is appreciated by our guests for their distinctive way of delivering the various services always with the guest’s satisfaction as ultimate goal. I like also the analysis of our various clienteles, I totally agree with you, our hotel is the house of the most various kinds of guests and they all fit in perfectly. We wait for your next visit and rest assured we will do our best to keep on the good job!
Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
SFBay
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Town Hall Hotel was our 4 night pit-stop before moving on to India. When we were approaching the hotel, we wondered if we made a mistake as the neighborhood looked 'edgy.' Up and coming as some have described in their reviews is being kind. We didn't know we had arrived at the hotel until we saw the sign. The first give away should have been the hotel building being the only clean/white-ish building amongst a 'field' of grey, gloomy ones. The hotel was surrounded by what looked like lower-income housing. The nearby shopkeepers and passerbys looked like they had just immigrated from the Middle East. It did not feel like we were in London.

Things didn't brighten up when we stepped into the lobby. There was no comfortable sitting/lounge area, just a set of chairs surrounding an antique TV set from the 1940's....all this was pushed against a small corner next to a wide staircase. We got a little nervous when the front desk people told us to walk around said staircase and down another set of stairs to what we thought was their basement.

One can imagine the most pleasant surprise when we opened the door to our room.... We had booked through Hotwire, so we didn't know where we were staying until we hand over our credit card. All we were assured of was that there was bed space for 4 (2 adults + 2 Children). We expected a single room with a double bed and a pull out couch. What we got was a spacious 2 bedroom apartment with a sitting room, full kitchen and washing machine. All these amenities were crucial to a very jet-lagged family traveling directly from California.

There were quite a few quick mart/small grocery stores across from the hotel (advantage of location in heart of a residential neighborhood). Right after check-in we grabbed pasta, cheese, breads, fruits...enough food for simple dinner and breakfast next morning. With tired kids, going out for dinner and breakfast was not a real option for our first night/morning. The full kitchen had a fridge stocked with complementary 2% milk, bottled water and the most incredible espresso machine with accompanying plug-in kettle for tea (espresso pods, various teas, sugar and sweeteners also provided at no-charge by the hotel). We still miss the morning espressos 2 weeks after we left!

Our room..apartment was always cleaned when we got back from a full day of sightseeing, even when we got back early. Kudos to housekeeping! Front desk people were generally friendly and helpful. The only service glitch was a concierge sending us to a restaurant that didn't exist one evening. Not sure if this is a one off or better training is needed to get staff more familiar with area.

We would strongly recommend this hotel to people traveling as a family. Town Hall Hotel is where we'll be next time we're in London!

4 Thank SFBayLuv2trvl
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your very kind words and for the very accurate feedback left on Tripadvisor. It is good to read that families enjoy our hotel together with single travellers and couples. I am glad to read that you appreciated all the services and room concept so much that you miss it! This is the sensation we like to read from your feedbacks, this desire to come back mixed with the taste and the memories of what you had. I am also glad to see that all our departments delivered the services according to their reputation. As per the Concierge issue I can guarantee you that this is a “one- off” happening since our team is constantly looking for new places to offer to our guests, and they are famous for their knowledge of the London restaurant scene. It is worthy to explain that especially here in the East End restaurants and shops open and close overnight therefore it is possible to miss some updated. I will check personally anyway to be sure that similar situation will not happen again. We are looking forward to welcome you and your family gain at the Town Hall Hotel. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole