“Low point of a London visit”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #171 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Low point of a London visit”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Booked in for one night with Secret Escapes. Having read the reviews on Tripavisor I was very much looking forward to my stay at such an iconic building. Arrival and check in was effective but not over friendly. The room we were allocated on the ground floor was basic and did not look as nice as others I’d seen. The room looked well used, shabby and the furniture was very worn. The coffee machine did not work as we found out on our return at 12.00am, the shower attachment leaked and you could not turn the bed side light out without pulling out the bed. Visited the hotel pool which was so cold I was unable to swim more than two lengths. The room it would seem was below the 1st floor kitchen so at 6.00 am we were awoken to tables and chairs being moved around and the sound of pots and pans being thrown around in the kitchen. We gave up and got up and went up to breakfast (if you can’t beat them join them).

Well I can only say I thought I was in a back packer’s hostel. A small uninteresting pretentious breakfast spread with an equally pretentious head waiter. Anything other than toast or cereal was at a cost that was exorbitant even for London. We left and had breakfast down the road in a lovely restaurant called the Gallery.
On face value we paid £137 for bed and breakfast which was poor value to say the least. If we had paid the usual price which SE lists at £400 I would have been really unhappy at what I got.
Having just returned from the Hilton in Budapest were we stayed 3 nights in an executive suite for £170, had a very nice room and decent breakfast and good customer service this London Hotel seemed like overpriced 2 star. Having worked in Hotels for many years I can only presume we were given the staff room.

Room Tip: ask for rooms above the 1st Floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nick N
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your feedback left on Tripadvisor. We apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion and do appreciate that our hotel is not of everyone’s taste and the way we projected the room and the design put on it might not be of everyone’s like. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The staff at the hotel were outstandingly excellent and the service was never short of superb. Our room was actually more like a stylish unique small apartment with an own kitchen. The hotel is a beautiful old town hall that has been renovated to it's former glory and beyond. It even has a pool and it's the most posh pool I've ever seen (even though it was a bit shallow and warm for a decent swim). We didn't have a chance to try the Michelin starred restaurant, but the room service and bar had great cocktails and gourmet snacks.

Room Tip: The apartments are great value for your money.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor from your last visit at THH. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you loved the hotel conversion from the old town hall. The retain of the original look of the building and the collection pieces of furnished introduced in suites were made with the intent to bring alive all the trends from the previous century. We are indeed very proud of the THH as we feel it is a quite unique hotel. I am pleased to hear that our staff provided an excellent service all the way through and you like the pool and all the other facilities. Once again thank you very much for this fantastic review and I hope to be able to welcome you back at the hotel soon. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
wilmslow
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Second time staying here, great service,bar and decor. We had an inclusive bed and breakfast package and found the price very competitive. The breakfast was simple but high quality ingredients .The most beautiful building and fantastic attention to details.Five minutes walk away from the tube station,can't wait to go back.Next time will try the 1star Mitchell inn restaurant located on the ground floor.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest, thank you for leaving us a note of your repeated experience with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our breakfast selection to be of the highest quality. It is great to know of your appreciation to the building and that you notice the monticules attention given to details. Thank you also for mentioning how close the underground is from the hotel and great to know that you have already decided to return and give a try of our restaurant. Should I be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I hope to be able to welcome you back at THH in the near future. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This is one of the most beautiful hotels I have stayed in. So many unique, stylish aspects in the room and reception area. Brilliant location to the tube and not too far from cool bars.
We didn't make it to the restaurant but the bar was relaxed and stylish too.
Brilliant hotel, I will be back.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for this kind feedback on TripAdvisor. It is great to know that your stay was a memorable one and that you like the suites and the hotel in general. Thank you for also mentioning how vibrant the nearby area is and I hope to be able to welcome you back at the hotel in the near future. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

After having been moved from 196 Bishopsgate Hotel due to extraordinary maintenance, I was moved to the Town Hall Hotel, the sister hotel to the one that I was supposed to stay in. Before coming, I was reluctant to accept transferring to the Town Hall Hotel as I didn't know what to expect, but after having stayed here for two nights, I found it to be one of the best hotels that I have stayed in.

The room was comfortable and very well equipped. Everything from the towels to the bedding was of the highest quality. The only downside was that the room was a tad hot, and although I had put the air conditioning on, it was still rather warm.

The food was brilliant at the in-house restaurant. A little expensive but extremely tasty. The best piece of beef that I have ever tasted!

The customer service was of the highest standard. This was discovered not only during my stay but afterwards. I had mislaid my coat, and realised that I may have left it at the hotel. I exchanged emails between Andrea the Head Concierge and found out that I had indeed forgotten my coat in the room. Andrea offered to deliver my coat, free of charge, on his day off, to the hotel that I was staying in the next time I was in London on business. I couldn't believe how kind he was to do this. Much appreciated!

This hotel is by far the best place that I have stayed in London.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a note on our TripAdvisor page. I am very pleased to read of your experience with us and it is great to know that you liked
THH and that you think it is by far one of the best hotels in London. I am glad to read that transferring you from 196B to THH has turned out to be a good thing. Nevertheless I wish to offer
my sincere apologies for this change of events. It is great to know that you enjoyed the food at one of our restaurants and that the beef was the best you ever had.
I hope to be able to welcome you back at THH in the near future and should I be of any further assistance please do contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Our second visit to this comfortable classy hotel.
After a long train journey on Fri 7th Feb we went for a meal in the busy Corner Room. We were told it would be a fifteen minute wait for a meal in the restaurant but we were there for over an hour and no table available. Left despondent. My husband told staff on reception what had happened. Went back to our room and ordered room service, two plates of soup. We had a phone call to say it was on the house because of our wait in Corner Room. Appreciated that.
The room was on 3rd floor with a big comfortable bed in a well designed room.
Close to underground and all that London has to offer.
Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank matjDundee
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. It is great to know that once more we were able to satisfied you, on your return to the THH. I am somehow sad on hearing that you had to wait all this time in vane, for a table at the restaurant. Surely, you were compensated for it, however I feel that for returning guests to our establishment, coming with the best expectation at heart, this most have felt somehow disappointing. Please don't misunderstand me, I am extremely pleased of the prompt action taken by the front desk to ensure you would not lose trust on us or either having your expectation tarnished by this mishap. What though I appreciated mostly is your endurance in still ranking us the top score, which reinforce my conviction that it is not so much about the complaint that the focus should be placed, but rather on how you move forward to turn it around as compliment instead. I think this was one of those cases and I am delighted on seeing my team working together to preserve this attitude in service. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused but thank you so much for believing in us!!. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Just spent 2 nights here in one of the executive suites. The room is huge compared to west end hotels, with it's own bedroom (with tv) and separate living room (also with tv), nice bathroom and a well equiped kitchen. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Only downside was a fairly poor selection of tv channels.
If this hotel was in the west end the price would double at least. But it's only a 5 minute walk to Bethnal Green tube and a quick journey into town. Brick Lane is walkable from the hotel if you're craving a curry. So long as you don't mind the non west end location, it's hard to fault this hotel. Geniune 5* quality at a price that will only get you 3* accomodation in swankier postcodes.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest, thank you so much for leaving us a note of your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our suite and that you found it to be on the large size, than what you would normally get in London. It nice to know that you appreciate all what there is included in our units and that you though the hotel to be a good value for money. It is a great honour to see our team being praised once again for their helpful and friendly approach to our guests. It is great to know that you founds the hotel location to be convenient, quick and easy to get into central London and for also mentioning some of the most characteristic areas of the new upcoming East End. Thanks you for choosing us for your stay in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back at THH in the future. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole