“Great Place and loved the kitchen. A couple of minor blips and fair location”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #171 of 1,068 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Great Place and loved the kitchen. A couple of minor blips and fair location”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Loved my suite with a full kitchen. And the Pool was great. My only complaints were erratic WiFi, minimal TV channel selection , limited room service menu choices and slightly out of the way location. But there is a Tube two blocks away and mini cab office nearby. I 'll return next month and almost forgot, you can save 10£ a day by having breakfast at the cafe around the corner.

• Stayed March 2014
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your words left on TripAdvisor. I am glad you fully enjoyed your experience with us. I could not help but to notice that you had some troubles with the Wi-Fi. The Central line tube, in fact is one of the most important Tube arteries going all the way from East to West. As per the Wi-Fi, we did not receive any other guests comment on it being slow and it would be difficult to assess this now. As per the room service menu, we are looking to bring new options soon and I am sorry to hear that the selection of dishes there were not to your like. please accept my apologies if we did not delivered 100% in some of the areas in this occasion and I hope to be able to welcome you back at THH in the near future. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Don't get me wrong the room was lovely, but what I had a problem was we had to pay a £50 deposit without prior notice.
What if I didn't have £50 in my bank account? I paid for the hotel prior but what if I didn't have a deposit?

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for comment on left on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read that you liked the room. I hope you don't mind if I clarify the 50£ charge mentioned on your comment, for which an average score was also given. We did not charge you an extra £50 for you stay at the THH. We took an authorisation from your credit card, therefore no money was ever moved from your account. Authorisations of credit cards are taken to either guarantee any extra charges incurred by using services at the hotel, like, restaurants, bar and rooms service bills, as well as to guarantee for any accidental damaged caused to the apartment and its contents. In addition, this credit card authorisation procedure is not unique to THH but instead is the most common and widely used in the industry across the UK and everywhere else. We are of course sorry that as a consequence of this, you may felt us acting unethically but I can assure you that was not the case. We do not want any of our guest to leave the hotel with unsatisfied feeling and I hope this email helps to clarify your highlighted point. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Jersey
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I came to book the Town Hall hotel as I had arranged a Jack The Ripper walk from Aldgate and I was planning on having a meal in Brick Lane afterwards.

The hotel is very well located close to Bethnal Green Tube and Cambridge Heath Station and just a short walk from the Brick Lane/Shoreditch area.

The hotel is located in what I can only describe as a spectacular building (the old Bethnal Green Town Hall that has been beautifully and faithfully restored to is original splendour). It is like being on a film set and in fact it has been used as a location for a number of films (detailed information is available from the hotel).

My room was wonderful with very high ceilings and very stylish, it was like a small apartment as it had a bar and kitchen area. Walking through the corridors to the room, you got to see some of the amazing details of the building. The breakfast area is an ingenious use of the former space and creates such a relaxing and impressive area to be in.

I did manage to get a short trip round some of the other areas of the hotel and there are some great places to hold meetings and events, all uniquely individual.

After my night out, I visited the hotel bar area that had a great atmosphere and a very efficient table service.

Overall our stay was just excellent in a great place, with so friendly staff; I will defiantly make a point of staying there again if I am in the area.

[Just a small tip, we where asked for photographic ID when we checked in, so perhaps have your passport with you].

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your inspiring experience on our TripAdvisor page. I am glad to hear of your excitement from the hotel restoration and I cannot agree more with your feelings as described "being on a film set". Being an historical building on which history wanted to be preserved, we thought only fair to make some reference to honour the historical film set for many British films productions. In fact following the official closure of the Town Hall, some 30 films have been done here. It is always a pleasure to share a reply with our guests that have capture the many feelings this fantastic restoration can bring and I am glad that you have mentioned it in your review. I do hope to welcome you back at the hotel soon and please if you wish me to tour you around and share some more details of the history of the building, please do not hesitate to ask for me at the front office, which I will be honoured to. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Pros:
Comfortable & nice apartment.
Excellent service (available 24/7 for printing, info, maps, etc).
Complementary breakfast was awesome compared to some of the high-end US hotels.
A block or so away from the station & we ended up taking the underground everywhere during our stay.
Unlike most hotels, water, etc were complimentary & got replaced as part of room service.

Cons:
It is a bit pricey. But, well worth it in my opinion.

Conclusion:
Will definitely stay there again on our next visit to London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for leaving us a note on our TripAdvisor page. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you like our suites and its comfort. I glad to know that remained very satisfied with the service provided and that the breakfast quality was superior to what you normally get on high-end hotels in the US. Great to see you mentioning how easy it was to move about in London through the tube, which is indeed few minutes wall and 15 minutes to the most central side of the city. Thank you for also mentioning what else is included with your rate as part of our normal service and for recognise that in your opinion the hotel, the service and the products were really well worthier. I hope to welcome you back soon at the hotel in the near future. Many thank and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We experienced a very warm friendly welcome. We were delighted with our room which had excellent facilities, a fully fitted kitchen with dining area and comfortable lounge area.
Very good quality bed and bedding,beautiful bathroom with lovely toiletries.
We enjoyed an hour in the luxurious pool uninterrupted followed by a great shower in a private changing room with more good quality toiletries.
Breakfast was another lovely experience with very friendly staff and a great choice of very good quality breakfast produce.
The staff were all very friendly and accommodating overall a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 2nd floor dual aspect sunny room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operatons at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience with us on our TripAdvisor page. I am delighted to hear of your experience and that you felt that the staff was very welcoming and warm in every encounter. I am pleased to hear that you liked the suites, its comfort, look and size. It is also nice to know that you enjoyed your breakfast and our corner room restaurant and that the staff there was also pleasant. Thank you for choosing us for your stay in London and I hope to be able to see you back with a warm welcoming in the near future.
Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Booked in for one night with Secret Escapes. Having read the reviews on Tripavisor I was very much looking forward to my stay at such an iconic building. Arrival and check in was effective but not over friendly. The room we were allocated on the ground floor was basic and did not look as nice as others I’d seen. The room looked well used, shabby and the furniture was very worn. The coffee machine did not work as we found out on our return at 12.00am, the shower attachment leaked and you could not turn the bed side light out without pulling out the bed. Visited the hotel pool which was so cold I was unable to swim more than two lengths. The room it would seem was below the 1st floor kitchen so at 6.00 am we were awoken to tables and chairs being moved around and the sound of pots and pans being thrown around in the kitchen. We gave up and got up and went up to breakfast (if you can’t beat them join them).

Well I can only say I thought I was in a back packer’s hostel. A small uninteresting pretentious breakfast spread with an equally pretentious head waiter. Anything other than toast or cereal was at a cost that was exorbitant even for London. We left and had breakfast down the road in a lovely restaurant called the Gallery.
On face value we paid £137 for bed and breakfast which was poor value to say the least. If we had paid the usual price which SE lists at £400 I would have been really unhappy at what I got.
Having just returned from the Hilton in Budapest were we stayed 3 nights in an executive suite for £170, had a very nice room and decent breakfast and good customer service this London Hotel seemed like overpriced 2 star. Having worked in Hotels for many years I can only presume we were given the staff room.

Room Tip: ask for rooms above the 1st Floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your feedback left on Tripadvisor. We apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion and do appreciate that our hotel is not of everyone’s taste and the way we projected the room and the design put on it might not be of everyone’s like. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The staff at the hotel were outstandingly excellent and the service was never short of superb. Our room was actually more like a stylish unique small apartment with an own kitchen. The hotel is a beautiful old town hall that has been renovated to it's former glory and beyond. It even has a pool and it's the most posh pool I've ever seen (even though it was a bit shallow and warm for a decent swim). We didn't have a chance to try the Michelin starred restaurant, but the room service and bar had great cocktails and gourmet snacks.

Room Tip: The apartments are great value for your money.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor from your last visit at THH. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you loved the hotel conversion from the old town hall. The retain of the original look of the building and the collection pieces of furnished introduced in suites were made with the intent to bring alive all the trends from the previous century. We are indeed very proud of the THH as we feel it is a quite unique hotel. I am pleased to hear that our staff provided an excellent service all the way through and you like the pool and all the other facilities. Once again thank you very much for this fantastic review and I hope to be able to welcome you back at the hotel soon. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole