“Very unusual hotel”

Ranked #171 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Peterborough
“Very unusual hotel”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I had a three night trip to London this week and could only get my first hotel for two nights so moved hotel for the third night. I got a deal on the Town Hall and when I got there they upgraded me to a suite which was quite amazing to look at. The staff on reception were nice as well. However, for a hotel of this standard I think there are a couple of things that could maybe be improved. When I arrived I was very tired and they told me my room was on the first floor and gave me the card to access the room. I went up the lift but it was a bit overwhelming because there were so many huge wooden doors which I couldn't read the numbers on that easily, I would have felt a little happier if someone was on hand to give a few more directions when I actually got up to that floor. When I stayed in a much cheaper three star hotel the night before I was walked to my room and they also took milk in a small jug up to my room for me on the first night. At the Town Hall I was told I could fetch milk from behind the stairs. It would have been a really nice touch if someone actually took some milk up for you like the smaller hotel did. I didn't want to have to trek all the way back down for milk after carrying my case upstairs. It's little things that can make a huge difference to a weary traveller sometimes. I can't fault the room, it looked amazing if you like really unusual arty layouts and things. Personally it wasn't really to my taste because I found it rather impractical, like there was no wash hand basin in the toilet and shower room so I was moving about a bit between rooms. Then I got in the huge deep bath and remembered my soap was on the wash hand basin and there was this massive clear screen between them so I couldn't get to it so had to clamber out again! If you have back problems or even slight mobility problems, don't expect to be able to get into the bath in a suite, ask first! It was a bit tricky trying not to slide over because it was like a massive hole in the floor. My only tiny complaint about the cleanliness was the bath was very dusty and I don't think it had been rinsed down. For people who like things that are different then it is rather fabulous to look at, but if you are a Hilton type person who likes everything the same and the layout to be practical then I wouldn't recommend. Again when it came to checking out, I got completely lost trying to get out of the building. I know it's trying hard not to look like a normal hotel but a bit more signage would have helped a lot, or perhaps a handy little map to give to guests detailing the layout and the room numbers. That may sound a bit overkill but when you are only staying one night you don't have chance to get your bearings, I was beginning to get a bit stressed out lugging my suitcase about and not being able to get out of the building with ease.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your details experience left on our TripAdvisor page. All your comments have been shared and taken on board by all staff. Once again thank you for your review and should there be any further assistance from us please do not hesitate to contacty me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brooklin, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We recently stayed for 6 night at this hotel. It was pretty easy to get to via the Tube from the airport. The hotel itself is very clean and really well maintained. Unfortunately our room was in the basement which we did not like at all as even though the windows are large, you still definitely had the basement feeling and had to have the curtains shut most of the time so people couldn't see in your room. We did ask to change floors but unfortunately were not able to. Having said that, the room was very nice with a lot of great features and it was very clean which I really appreciate in a hotel. The worst part of this hotel was its location. It was a short walk to the tube which is good but there isn't really anything to do or places to eat in the area. Overall this is a very nice hotel for a good price, just unfortunately in a bad area. I would just recommend that you request that your room isn't in the basement.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience of you stay with us on our TripAdvisor page. It is great too know that you enjoyed you stay us and please accept my apologies for not being able to offer you an alternative in this occasion. We do honoured room movements if our client has a preference of floors whenever possible. Regarding the local area, I am sorry that you did not find places to go and I agree it is not the West End, but I can assure that this area of London is very well know for going out, good restaurants and lot of galleries and other attractions close by. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 22 May 2014

hip and fun, cool staff very friendly. had the BIGGEST room ever which i very much enjoyed. was to stay a week, but circumstances meant to leave early; the staff were very considerate and helpful as i had to change my plans. enjoyed the neighborhood and especially the GYM and the NICE BIG room! food in the restaurant very very good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest, it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with and thank you for sharing this on our TripAdvisor page. Thank you for mentioning all those plus that the THH has to offer, including the nice compliment to the staff service. I look forward for your return to the hotel in the near future and in the meantime should you require any further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I recently stayed here for two nights for a conference, which was also situated at the hotel, and the whole experience was wonderful. My room was huge, light and airy, and the furnishings were both stylish and comfortable. I had the best two nights sleep I've had in a long time, as the bed was extremely comfortable, and the bedding was of the utmost quality. The staff were amazingly attentive and helpful throughout.....nothing was too much trouble. I loved all the little quirky details and attention to detail that is prevalent throughout the hotel, and am already hoping that I shall be returning for another wonderful stay soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you so much for this beautiful review left on our TripAdvisor page. It is great to know that you loved the hotel, suites and conference spaces. I am pleased to hear that you had the best night sleep you had in long time. I glad to know that our staff was there always ready to assist. I hope to see you soon at the hotel and in the meantime should you require any further assistance from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Taiwan
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Was here with a conference and stayed for two nights. The staff was very helpful and accomodating as we arrived too early for check in but was able to leave our luggage and come back with it already in our rooms.
Highlight is definitley the room itself, huge space and if you're into the whole converting old buildings into new it's definitely a must see. Many things around the hotel worth exploring, things you can't get in other hotels.
Set back is it's pretty pricey considering it's far from central London and not peak summer yet and the food was only ok. Not much happening around it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest, Thanks you for your comments left on our TripAdvisor page. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed you stay and I hope to be able to welcome you back at the hotel in the near future. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've eaten at the corner room before and thought the hotel looked lovely. We had a lower ground floor apartment which was huge and so made up for the lack of light/ views. The room was full of gorgeous free extras - fresh milk, water in the fridge, espresso maker and coffee and lovely toiletries. We were close to the pool and enjoyed a late night swim. Staff were all charming and friendly. The hotel itself is a complete delight - unusual furniture, ornate banisters. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Lower ground suites are huge
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hartlgem
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest, being a voracious reader I particularly like descriptive novels and journalistic cuts going straight to the point. That is the way I found your review, a very good help for our future guests! Thank you for these thorough words left on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that you experienced the most part of our facilities and enjoyed our room amenities. It is also good to read about our staff that time and again is prised for its five star service delivery. I take you on your last words and cannot wait to welcome you again! Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Just came back from a 5 night stay at this wonderful hotel. I'm almost hesitant to give it a glowing review as it would be great to keep this spot a little secret. However, the hard working staff deserve compliments on the great things they do.

At first, I was disappointed as we were given a room in the lower ground floor despite having put in a request for a higher floor well in advance. I had also requested to have a unit where one of the bedrooms had 2 twin beds instead of one double bed and this did not happen. I would've preferred not sleeping in the same bed as my sister as we have space/movement issues but luckily it wasn't a dire situation. It could've become really awkward and awful though if we absolutely needed two separate beds and I wonder if the hotel could've remedied the situation as, upon arrival, we were told that there were absolutely no other rooms available and we would have to wait one or two days before we could be moved if we wanted. I understand that rooms are not always guaranteed at hotels but if you made the effort to input your preferences months in advance, you would hope that they would be carried out. And we didn't even check-in that late - around the usual check-in time of 1 or 2 o'clock pm actually.

In any case, I don't like causing a fuss so I just accepted the situation without complaint. Other than that, the rest of our stay was great. The lower ground floor was surprisingly quiet even though our windows opened on the street. The suite was large and beautiful. The rooms were impeccably clean and well-appointed. The kitchen and washing machine were exceedingly helpful to have. The L'Occitane bath products, still and sparkling water, milk, heated towel rack, free (and strong) wi-fi, and divine coffee were wonderful touches that greatly enhanced our stay.

The location was great. A bit out of the way in terms of Central London and all the sights but it's a really easy walk to Bethnal Green station and from there, London public transport can take you anywhere.

A little bit on the pricey side but definitely a lovely, solid choice for a place to stay in London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for this frank and constructive review left on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that we are on top of your list of hotels in London. I could not help but to notice, anyway, your slight disappointment about the twin beds. I am with you that it is not the best experience to find yourself sharing a bed where you asked instead way in advance to have a different setting. Let me personally apologise for any inconvenience this might have caused to you and your family members. We are working on that and a project has been issued to increase the number of twin beds in our rooms in order not to have similar situations again. You have my personal assurance! I hope to see you soon and welcome you and your family again in your new hotel in London. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole