“Surprise hit! Highly recommended”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #215 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My immediate impression of the outer facade was a little underwhelming, but upon entering I was amazed at how impressively laid out the building is.

The reception staff could not have been nicer. The receptionist immediately greeted us, arranged for our bags to be looked after (we arrive a bit early) and even recommended a local spot for some lunch (tip - there's a great market nearby on Saturdays, ask the concierge. Well worth a visit for food/drink/souvenirs. Like a non-tourist version of Camden market). We were even upgraded to a superior room.

First impression of the room was fantastic. The entrance lobby (to our room!) was the grandest I've seen in any restored hotel. All of the old furnishings and fixtures from when it was a town hall have been restored and replicated. Despite the grandeur, rooms are well spread out so it feels as if you've your own space.

Inside the room was impressive. So as not to touch the original floor, the bed and bathroom are on a raised platform made of wood and glass. Very pleasing to the eye. The bed was one of the comfiest I've stayed in. My main issue/complaint was with the bathroom. Firstly, the lack of privacy in the shower/bathroom. I understand that this was a double room, but when the other person is asleep etc you might want to take a shower in peace. Unfortunately this is not possible...the shower is visible (through glass) at most angles from the room. Also, the WC section felt a little claustrophobic (but at least it had a sliding door!!). Finally, the water temperatures were unpredictable...the water would go from tepid, to scalding, to freezing all mid-shower. Maybe it's the old plumbing. Although this stuff really wasn't that major, if we stayed for more than two nights I could imagine it starting to irritate.

The room had some great little amenities like a nespresso-like machine with great coffee, some really nice toiletries, two tvs (one at the bed), a spacious seating/living area, plenty of wardrobe space etc.

The location is fantastic - five min from Bethnal Green tube station which is one stop from Liverpool street. Very central for both tourists and business-types.

My overall impression was that this hotel was beautifully maintained/restored and the service of the reception staff was second to none. The hotel was lacking in some of the finer details you would expect with a five star hotel (didn't replace toiletries, room hadn't been dusted, shower not fantastic (temperature, pressure etc) - all minor issues), but this really is a unique and pleasant hotel to which I would definitely return. It's by far my favourite in London.

2  Thank John H
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thanks you so much for leaving this detailed review on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear of your appreciation of the hotel features, facilities and services. It gives us great pride when our guests appreciate the THH for what it is its right. I am sorry to hear of those negative points, yet grateful for bringing them up, so we can take care of it and prevent it from happening again. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused with the water temperature and I have shared this with our teams hear. There is a lot of your comments that I would love to reply but I will only reply to clarify that we are a luxury boutique hotel, with everything to be a 5*. It is our guests and OTA's operators that classify us as starred hotel. What is in our heart and interest is to provide an excellent and enjoyable experience for guests and if this means that we have to do an extra mile, we will do it!!... Perhaps our service approach and unique quality products that the hotel is, has brought about the 5* denomination to the hotel. Again many thanks for your great review. Kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just returned from this hotel after spending 3 nights. On initial telephone contact with hotel staff very helpful upgraded us to executive suite . On arrival staff were warm friendly and very professional which set the tone for the rest of our stay rooms/apartment catered for every need. Beds comfortable. modern facilities Would highly reccomend

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms at this establishment would be equally acceptable and beautifully designed whic...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest, thanks you so much for your kind note left on our TripAdvisor page. It is really great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and glad to hear that our staff attention to details and courtesy, was noticed and appreciated. I am delighted to hear that you appreciated our complimentary suite upgrade and that you found them comfortable with all its appliances and hotel facilities for a unique stay. It has been our honour to have had you here with us and I look forward to you return at the hotel. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is a wonderful surprise in contrast with the typical disappointment of London hotels. Immediately upon arrival I was greeted professionally and expeditiously checked in. The architecture, artwork, design and layout were enough to make one want to spend the time wandering through to experience all it had to offer.

The hotel had upgraded me and I had a lovely suite with incredibly modern fixtures which was an impressive contrast to the original architecture and beautiful high ceilings. The bathroom and shower were exceptional. It had a wonderful area to work, lots of storage space, in room coffee service and all the amenities of a 5 star hotel. The service was excellent and the staff was so friendly. I felt like the only guest in the whole hotel. The area in which it is situated is fantastic. Very close to the Tube and other transit, great access to parks for running and a great neighbourhood to pick up a few extras.

I would stay here again and again. My only disappointment was that I was in town for business and had to leave only two nights later.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Patriot Square side are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest, thank you so much for leaving us your note on our TripAdvisor page. I am please to read of your appreciation of the hotel architecture and the warm welcome you received from our front of the house staff. I am delighted to hear that once again their approach has been noticed and it is grate that you shared it on your review. It always give us a great feeling of achievement when reviews like yours are posted on and I hope there will be many other occasions to come and stay with us. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Ive stayed in quite a few London hotels and many are very dissapointing. This one however is not. We were there for a VERY short stay (2am - 11am) so I cannot speak for the restaurant or bar but will try and return one day and do so.

The hotel is very boutique, nicely built into the old town hall without loosing most of the old charm. The room was gorgeous (and from the plan one of the smallest they have on that floor) and ideal for a longer stay with decent kitchen set up and washer dryer built in. Bed was great, rain water shower - all good!

Breakfast was excellent. All cooked to order and NOT a buffet which is a pleasure - so much fresher and nicely too. Good array of breads, teas and so on.

I would very much recomend this place. I have every intention of coming back - the bar is supposed to be quite special too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest, It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your description of the suite and its appliances and glad to know that you appreciated our breakfast hot dishes being prepared on order. I do hope that you will be able to stay longer on your next visit to allow time to try our restaurants and bar. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. It is very nice to hear that we were able to impress you in this occasion and should I be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask for me. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here for 1 night, in an apartment-room. We were blown away by the facilities in the room - full kitchen, great bathroom, bed, robes, etc - and had a great dinner in. The other parts of the hotel were very nice - lobby, pool, gym. We had the continental buffet breakfast and there was a great selection of bread and fruit, and they could accommodate us with soya milk when we asked. We wouldn't be able to afford more than 1 night here, but as a one-off treat it was completely worth it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest, it is indeed a great pleasure to have had you staying with us and glad to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thank you for detailing the suites and hotel facilities as well as the breakfast that you enjoyed too. Yes we are a luxurious hotel but we are not pretentious and your honesty is very much appreciated. Should you decide to return to the THH please do not hesitate to ask for me and I will be more than happy to come and great you. Kindest regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Spent 3 nights in June. We were in room 222. Superb accomodation with separate lounge area. Great historic building that has been fully modernised. Comfortable bed, large bathroom, fridge/microwave/coffee maker etc.
Service was first class and very professional
The Hotel bar is fantastic. They make their own Gins. Rums and other spirits.
Did not eat there, but menu looked very good.
OK it is a little out of the way, but worth the trek.
I would have no hesitation to return

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear guest, it was a great pleasure to have you stay with us. We are mostly glad that you enjoyed the refurbishment of our building and the you found the appliances that come within our suites useful to give that extra comfort. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our newly refurbished bar Peg & Patriot, with its unique in-house made gin and rum. I look forward to seeing back at the hotel and hope there will be a chance for you to try our restaurants. Many thanks and kind regards Sandro.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We spent five nights at the hotel in late May. It is an old converted government building but the transformation is amazing in detail and quality. Great public spaces and giant suites by London standards. As with designer hotels function is sometimes pushed aside by esthetics as is evident in the bathrooms of the suite but the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. Having a kitchen is great as is the washer dryer. Beds are comfortable and linens nice as are bathroom products. The lobby bar is nice with good service with friendly bartenders but the science experiment bar tending they are practicing is a bit dated as sometimes you just want a stiff drink. Staff everywhere were great and helpful at all times. Only drawback is its location. Although close to the subway it is still a bit of a trek to thee center of London and this May be a drawback to some. Neighborhood has some great places the Well and Bucket and Satan's Whiskers across the street come to mind for good food and drinks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Direictor of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear guest, l am glad to hear that you were intrigued and you appreciated the historic features, design and the attributes that come with the building. I am pleased to hear that our staff provided good service, as usual. As for our location, it is true it is not the West End, where the general tourists track is, but we do believe that London has much more to offer and we are proud of being the pioneering in doing this. I must add that many of our guests are equally happy to be in an area that is changing fast, but it still has lot of trendy places to go and see. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole