“A step back in time, in a good way.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #144 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A step back in time, in a good way.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is the second time I stayed at the Town Hall hotel, everything about it appeals to me. It's a design hotel, with contemporary and conceptual artwork installed in various parts of the building. I love the music that plays in the background, it certainly adds to the ambience. If you dig further, you'll find out that it's been used as a film location for many productions ie: Brideshead Revisited, Atonement, Poirot etc. The week before I stayed, Ellie Goulding did a photo shoot there, oh how the other half live! The main thing I like about this place, is the friendly staff. They are so helpful, and I won't forget the head concierge Andrea Massari who let me use his own laptop so I could check my emails.
Luxurious and with a homely touch, you can help yourself to pints of milk in the fridge in the lobby. My apartment was very clean, stylish and comfortable and the perfect place to unwind after being out all day. Also, the buffet breakfast is very nice, with a wide selection to choose from.
I would disagree with anyone who believes Bethnal Green is 'a rough part of town'. The people are lovely, and are very approachable. The hotel is only 5 minutes from the tube station and conveniently close to Cosmo internet cafe on Roman Rd. Would I stay at Town Hall hotel again? Absolutely!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear guest, thank you for this great review on TripAdvisor. Your thorough comments and descriptions of the hotel and its past, fully capture the pure essence of the THH. The arts, cinematographic history, music and various ambient, as well as design and vintage pieces displayed throughout the hotel, have been created so to preserve and bring alive the trends of the previous century, mixed together in great style. It always bring us joy when our guests are able to identify the THH creation and their appreciation is what makes us proud of it. So many thanks for this.... Kind regards, Sandro Desole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Napa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I arrived at this "luxury" hotel from Heathrow owing the taxi 110 GBP, I didn't have enough, they don't have a cash machine, nor do they do exchange, so they sent me "up the road, just a few minutes" for another 10 GBP for the taxi.

Upon arriving after paying the car, there was no bellhop. I am handicapped, I was alone, and had 2 suticases. This is the WORST part of London, so I was not about to leave my bags outside while trying to get help. I had already been inside once, so they knew I was there, but offered no assistance. Thankfully another cab was waiting on people and he helped me up the steps.

Once inside they wanted to put me on the first floor in one of the busiest parts of the hotel. Thankfully, they did move me to floor 1 after waiting 30 minutes for them to figure it out. This hotel is VERY noisy, people, doors, TVs, restaurants, you name it, you hear it.

The bathroom floods when taking a shower, the tv is constantly "refreshing", the room service people were lovely, but they never brought utensils, bottle openers, etc.

I am absolutlely appaled that this hotel is considered "luxury". As a handicapped person, there are certain things that I need, like help with stairs, that I expect for "luxury" accomodations. I will NEVER return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank missmadams
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we do always try our best to satisfy our guests needs. I must admit, I was disappointed to read of this unsatisfactory behaviour of my FO team. Following my investigation however, I found that your comments intent are to giving an incorrect impression of my colleagues at FO, as being inconsiderate of any guest request or needs. I simply know that this is not the case. I wish to share that no indication of disability was ever notified to us through your reservation or otherwise. If we had known of your arrival we would have been more than happy to be there waiting for you. It must be clarified that we never advertise to have a door person or cash machine at the hotel, still we do help all our guests with their luggage and direct them to the nearest cash machine. I have been reported that you entered the hotel irritated by cost of your taxi from Heathrow, yet it had not be organised by us, still you thought it was ok to take your frustration out on our FO staff by using offensive language at them. In addition, the taxi driver that helped you up the stairs works for the taxi company we employ for our guests. When you were offered help, to be escorted to your suite, you abruptly refused and decided to walk all the way up the staircase, with your luggage instead of using the lift. On the way to the suite our restaurant staff offered again to help you, once again it was refused. Yes, it would have been ideal to have met all your expectations and I am confident, if we only had been given the chance we would have just done that. For you to want to downgrade our services, the hotel location and all the other negative comments that you gave us, is unjust and inappropriate. Thank you, Sandro Desole
intsik
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

just came back from london. was initially apprehensive about staying at the town hall because it seemed far off, but based on pictures and reviews on here, and the price compared to other far inferior looking places in town, decided to go for it.

it did not disappoint. first of all the room is huge for european standards. ours had a fully functioning kitchen and even a washer dryer which was great for a weeks stay. the whole is also painfully Mad Men stylish. the pool is the prettiest i've seen in any city. service very nice and accomodating no complaints.

if you are not too scared of being off the beaten path, try this hotel out. worth the shot.

Room Tip: we had noise from the street so maybe an inward facing room? not sure if they have those though.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you so much for giving us your time to write this great note of your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the suite and that you found it convenient to travel from the hotel. I do hope your review will encourage all those other potential guest to win over their perception that the THH is somehow too far from the main London attractions, which is not the case. It is also nice to know that you appreciated the refurbishment of the building and that you loved all the facilities the hotel has to offer. I look forward to welcome you back at the hotel soon and should I be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We spent 4 nights with our 5 year old son in June and had an impeccable stay. The hotel is a bit off the main attractions but only 5 minutes away from subway station on the central line. Once inside, you do no want to go out.... The rooms are huge for London standards, the beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are super modern with l"occitane toiletries. Complimentary sparkling water is a definite perk. The Corner room is a good onsite restaurant with reasonable prices, but we had most of our breakfasts in the room thanks to our fully equipped kitchen and grocery store by the subway station.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience on our TripAdvisor page. It is great to hear of your fantastic stay at the hotel and I am delighted to know that you found the hotel to be specious and the amenities and appliances that allow you to enjoy your breakfast in the room. I hope you will be visiting us again soon and should require any assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to assist. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I like to review on a 'what you would expect for the price you paid basis' - and I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone. We only stayed in one of the 'more basic' rooms - but even this was tastefullly fitted out with kitchenette (including washer dryer) that lurked behind what initially just looked like a false dividing wall, and a rather luxurious bathroom, and very comfortable bed.
I travel a lot for work, and so stay in many hotels around the world - I have to say for comfort and quality this is right up there as one of the good ones!.
The breakfast buffet is very good - with lovely variety of bread for toast, and obviously good quality fresh orange juice (breakfast orange juice quality says a lot about many hotels!). The cooked breakfast was lovely - cooked to order with obviously good quality ingredients.

My only negative comment would be information from the staff. We were checked in already, but did arrive very late at night after work. The reception staff were friendly enough (it was silly o'clock in the morning to be fair.....but it is a 24hr reception), but the information given for breakfast times inaccurate. Thankfully we headed down half an hour before they had told us breakfast would finish, only to be told by the breakfast room staff we had made it in the nick of time as they were clearing to get ready for lunch. If we had been a minute or two later....no cooked brekki for us! They were however very considerate as they cleared the buffet, making sure we had had all we wanted to take before clearing it.

The building is an old town hall - so very interesting to walk around (and at times slightly confusing) . You can look into the old council chambers as you wait for your cooked brekki to turn up for eg.

All in all, a pleasant experience all round - and I would definitely recommend it to anyone for the price tag. A top quality hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for leaving us a note on our TripAdvisor page. I delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel and the suite to your like with all the comforts and appliances to enhance you experience. Thank you for bringing to my attention that you were given the wrong time for breakfast service and I have already spoke to the night manager to provide a refresh training to the night staff. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion and I hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. I do hope to be able to welcome you soon and please should you require any assistance please to ask for me at our reception and I will be more than happy to assist. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Visited in June, on a Monday eve. Excellent room, with great facilities all round.
However it is not in the best part of town, so you will need to get cabs around.
Also breakfast was a bit random, food quality was good, but there was no service to speak of, apart from here is your bill, with 12.5 % added for service, its a buffet!!!
Would stay again if the rate was good.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MkMark
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in this occasion. It is regretful to hear of your disappointment with the breakfast service and I have brought your comment on to the breakfast manager to look into the matter without delay. Also please allow me to share that the connection from the hotel to the rest of London through the tube are actually very good. Bethnal Green Station on the Central Line, is just down the road, giving access to many central locations within 5 to 15 minutes ride. I cannot deny that the area it is not the West End but the area has been noted has being one of the trendiest areas in London and our concierge would have been delighted to direct you to those good places where to enjoy drinks and foods varieties from all over the world, as well as trendy markets and galleries. I do hope to be able to welcome you soon and please should you require any assistance please to ask for me at our reception and I will be more than happy to assist. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Milano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

the hotel is wonderful, it is my second stay and all is perfect. Rooms are incredible large, clean with all the possible confort. The staff is great especially at the reception with very kind and nice italian girls. All wonderful!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience on our TripAdvisor page. I am delighted to know that you
enjoyed your second visit to the hotel. It is nice to hear that our repeated guests are well looked after with our front of the house colleagues did all they could to bring about this fantastic review from you. I hope there will be a third visit soon and should require any assistance from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be delighted to assist. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole