“Eclectic hotel”

Ranked #171 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“Eclectic hotel”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Interesting hotel/apartment in a not-so-posh neighborhood in London's east end. We booked this hotel through Jetsetter and were here for 2 nights on our way to Rome. Our room was actually a one-bedroom apartment complete with a washer/dryer, mini kitchen, etc. The building was formerly the Bethnal Green Town Hall, and has a lot of character and interesting nooks & corners. Great bar and breakfast. We loved the drink selection especially the homemade vodka selection. We eyed the fitness center and pool but chose to take our exercise walking. The staff was generally very nice and helpful, but on our first day we had to ring the front desk repeatedly and received no answer - we finally went out to find out why no one was answering the phone. The two people at the front desk explained that they were "busy". Other little things were slightly annoying -- the body lotion wasn't replaced and neither were the bath robes after the first day. The flavored water in the lobby was either empty or glasses were missing. Nothing major, just small details that we noticed. I come often to London for business and probably won't stay here because it isn't as convenient to where I need to be, but would recommend this hotel for those here on vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your kind feedback left on our TripAdvisor page. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the hotel. I couldn't help but to notice your comments on the phone call not being answered and lotion replacement not being done. This should have not happened and I can assure you that these were two isolated incidents and not the rule at THH. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion and I hope you will not be deterred from visiting us gain in the future. It is a petty that you would not consider the THH for you business travel to London and I hope you may change your mind one day, but thank you so much for recommending us for the leisure’s visitors. I look forward to see you at the THH in the future and in the meantime should you require any further assistance from us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have stayed at the Town Hall Hotel on numerous occasions and have always loved the feel of the place. From the grand, incredible building (the old Bethnal Green Town Hall) through to the selection of stunning classic contemporary furniture dotted about the rooms and the common ground, it really is my favourite hotel in the city (and that is a big accolade as there are so many to choose from!).

My recent stay was no exception, great staff, quirky but super modern and stylish rooms, a wonderful breakfast and ideally located a few mins from Bethnal Green tube station on the Central Line, it is a must for anyone with a modicum of taste who wants to somewhere to kick back and relax after a gruelling day exploring the vastness of the city.

I will not be staying anywhere else in the forseeable future whenever I visit London. First class.

Room Tip: Plump for the 2nd or 3rd floor apartments. They are light and airy. The basement level and ground fl...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your nice review on our TripAdvisor page. It is great to hear that THH has become your favour hotel in town. I am delighted to know that you loved the restoration of the building, the furnishing and feeling that you get from it. Needless to say that we are flattered by your compliment on our staff, which always try to give their best to assist our guests. It will be our honour to have you back to stay with us and should I be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Alameda
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Quirky location, but well situated for the Sunday street fairs in East London. Very nifty, different, yet still clean and comfortable hotel with a very decent fitness center (similar to decent American fitness centers), excellent bar & restaurant. Loads of character, but still manages to be an efficient and guest-friendly modern hotel. I was here for business but would highly consider it for personal travel as well.

Room Tip: top floors are best
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing you incredible experience on our TripAdvisor page. It is great to hear your enthusiasm describing the hotel design and facilities and I am glad that they were to your like. Thank you for your comments on the location and I cannot agree more with it. I hope to be able to welcome you back staying with us and in the meantime should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on this email. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

When my colleague suggested this hotel, I was sceptical. I stayed for 10 nights and am very pleased with my decision to choose this hotel. Nice, clean with friendly staff. Very good amenities. They upgraded me to a queen bed apartment. The restaurants are excellent and reasonably priced. The surrounding area is not busy but safe. The nearest tube station is less than five minutes walk. Free Wi-Fi works great. The Espresso coffee-maker was a nice touch. Overall, very pleased with my stay and will choose it when returning to London for holiday with family.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest, thank you for giving us your time to write this great review on our TripAdvisor page. I am delighted to hear that we were able to change your perception on the hotel and glad to know that all areas delivered the expected service. Thank you for sharing all this practical information and I am sure many potential guests will find them useful. I hope to be able to welcome you back at the hotel soon and should be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly on this email. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole.
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Our family holiday this year was a week in London with our 2 girls to 'do' their list of London things to do!

We regularly stay in London as a couple or for business but this was our first proper family trip & we wanted a 2 bedroom apartment to give us options on breakfast & dinner.

The town hall appartment (G4) was beautifully airy & spacious. 2 good sized bedrooms. A bathroom, an suite shower room, a lovely living / dining room & a small but completely functional kitchen complete with slimline dishwasher & washing machine!

The old parquet flooring was a real treat & the quirky wooden furniture added a touch of shabby chic style.

We ate at the corner room 'shared table' style & spent 3 very happy evenings working our way through the interesting in-house distilled spirit & cocktail menu.

Only slight gripe is the shower over the bath doesn't raise high enough to use properly & the water sloshes down the back of the beautiful deep oval bath. There is also a window into the lounge area with no curtain - not great for whoever is in bed when someone else is using the living area. Easily worked around & didn't detract from our lovely stay!

Housekeeping was excellent & a special mention for all the occitane bathroom products, the generous robes & decent sized towels. Will definitely return!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for this fantastic review left on our TripAdvisor page. I am delighted that we were selected for your family trip in London and that you found our 2 bed suite comfortable with all amenities and much needed space. I am glad to know that you visited our Corner Room restaurant and it has been an experience on its own. I couldn't help but to notice your comment on the curtains and the water flooding into the bathtub. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused with this 2 areas. I will have this checked immediately by our housekeeping team and maintenance. It is great though to hear that you will consider us for your business trip to London too and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you decide to return. Looking forward to have you back soon and many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I attended my brother's wedding at the hotel. The interior was very elegant and spacious - a harmonious fusion of Art-Deco and Edwardian styles, it proved to be the ideal wedding venue. The room I stayed overnight in was spacious and split level, with the bed upstairs and bathroom downstairs. It was well equipped with self-catering facilities, including an espresso machine, which I made full use of. Although the immediate surroundings are a but run-down, the close proximity to Brick Lane and Shoreditch is a big plus for foodies and shoppers alike.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you very much for this fantastic review on our TripAdvisor page. I am delighted to hear that thoroughly enjoyed you stay with us. We are honoured of being selected to celebrate this important occasions in our hotel and I was very pleased to hear that we were able to exceed expectation during your brother wedding. I hope to be able to welcome you back at the hotel in the near future and should I be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole