“A Good Small Hotel”

Park Grand London Paddington
Ranked #349 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed just one night and did not use any of the dining rooms, so cannot comment on the food.

We were met at the door by two helpful doormen who carried our small case to the Reception, but what struck me on entering was the 'just cleaned' smell.

The receptionist was friendly and cheerful, the lift a reasonable size. The room was not large, but ample size for a couple without too much luggage. It had everything one would expect. Shower, not bath.

Free wifi, too.

There are plenty of restaurants on the adjacent Earls a Court Road. We really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant - Kappa, but there is no shortage of places.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the service provided.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Park Grand London Paddington

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a superb hotel, the staff are wonderful and nothing is too much trouble. Excellent decor and the food is lovely. I highly recommend. This is my 3rd stay at the hotel this week! I will try to ensure that any future London stays are here.

Room Tip: The best hotels are on the ground level or the forth floor; the lower levels rooms are affected by
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 August 2014

In a nice location near some nice resaurants and walking distance from the Tube station
The staff at reception were very nice on arrival and during checkout, they asked if i would like to leave my bags at the hotel for the day if i was doing more shopping in london during checkout, which was a very nice gesture. The room was very nice and i had a nice rest after a long day travelling around london.

I will be staying there again in the very near future with my friends

Ricardo

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand London Paddington.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

While the Park Grand London Paddington is a medium size hotel, it has the feel of a smaller boutique hotel with a personal welcome, and excellent service.
A major difficulty was that my wife is physically handicapped. Access to the hotel from the street was awkward _ nealy impossible for someone in a wheelchair without help. There were no handicap bars or other conveniences in the bathroom - such as a shower stool. This was the room we were assigned after telephoning in advance of booking to be certain that we could be accommodated.
We would not recommend this hotel to those with physical limitations even though it is listed by the English Tourist Board as an hotel for those that have mobility issues:

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
I understand that you found the wheelchair access at the front of the hotel awkward, however I would like to inform you that whenever we are aware of a wheelchair user guest arriving we always state that the guest has to stay accompanied by someone for assistance. With regards to the facilities in the bathroom we will be looking into the same to assure that all our guests have a comfortable stay.
Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you and we hope you will give us a chance once again to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

It's Europe, so we expected small rooms, but for approx. USD $300 per night we thought we deserved a little better. Four stars? No, this is 3 stars at best. No room for luggage or clothing really, in bad need of repair, stains on the blanket, no desk, just a small fold out board from the wall that sat crooked, anything you put on it fell down, very outdated, the bathroom was large, probably because it was a handicap accessible room, but there was absolutely nowhere to place your toiletries. The breakfast in the basement kitchen was poor too. The only redeeming value was the location, which was safe and in a nice area. It looked good from the outside. I know London is generally very pricey but I can't imagine what you would get for less money, a shared bathroom? I would never return to this hotel. I cannot understand some of the good reviews I've found about this property. Book at your own risk...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
Firstly my sincere apologies as the hotel did not meet your expectations but at the same time I am glad you were pleased with the location and nearby amenities.

I would like to inform you that our hotel room sizes varies as it’s an old Victorian building converted into the hotel like many others in London. However, our hotel room sizes are much better than any other London hotels within the Bayswater area and you will find the same in other reviews. Our housekeeping is also on top at all times which you can also see, we also always get good feedback with regards to the quality of the breakfast as compared to other hotels in the area as we prepare fresh breakfast every morning.
I would like to inform you that the reason we are getting good comments about this hotel is because of our professionalism with a personalised service which we provide to all our guests.
We always welcome our guests with a genuine smile which has been noticed by many of our guests and in return received comments with regards to the same. I regret to say but it is quite disappointing that this was not noticed by you during the stay with us.
Once again, my sincere apologies of not meeting your expectations.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Decent place and good location.

Ok, when you read the reviews, you'll see a pattern that swings between good and bad- very little middle ground. And I think that's just the way it is with hotels in London, unless you are paying a premium for the top-end places. And "value for money" is completely relative in London. Set your expectations accordingly.

I've been traveling to London for work and pleasure (mostly work) for nearly 20 years and have always booked a place in Paddington simply for the convenience of the Heathrow express. I've tried a number of places.... the Hilton if the budget will accommodate, but more often it has been the Mercure (or it's previous incarnations). Both literally next to Paddington Station.

Since I was only going to be in London for one night his time, on a whim, I decided to try the Park Grand London Paddington for something different. Seemed like one got a wee bit more for their money here.

It's about a 5-10 minute walk from Paddington Station- easily doable with a roll-aboard bag.

I had booked a club double, but on check-in was upgraded to a Junior Suite- pleasant surprise (on a Saturday night, peak season). Again, set your expectations accordingly. A junior suite in Asia where I am based is indeed a suite ie. separate bedroom and living space. Having been to London so many times, I had a good idea what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised again to find a very good sized room in a nice quiet part of the hotel.

Service was first rate from check-in to check-out- very friendly and helpful. Wifi was free and fast. Breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular, but as expected. I didn't use any other facilities so can't comment on anything else.

One final thing I will say is that they have done a fairly reasonable job with the interior. Many of these London hotels that are "cobbled together" across a number of old buildings are something of a labyrinth inside with a completely illogical room number system. Up a set of narrow stairs, walk down a hall, 90 degree turn, down two small stairs, walk again, another 90 degree turn to another staircase... you get the point, think Faulty Towers.

While somewhat sterile and functional interior, it actually feels like a hotel rather than they have punched through into the building next door.

I would stay here again and would recommended it, but It's a hotel in a busy part of London and has basement rooms. Thus, I would simply advise people to be clear about what you want when you book and have some reasonable expectations in terms of room size and value for money in London.

Room Tip: Be very clear about what you want when you book eg. no basement room, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Park Grand in Paddington is a great hotel and this was my second stay. The hotel manager Mr Bhatt was kind enough to offer me an upgrade to the Junior Suite which was very much appreciated (Although the Club rooms are already very nice and spacious). The room was very large, comfortable, clean and quiet. All advertised amenities were provided and check in and check out went very smoothly. For London, this hotel has a great price/quality balance and you would be hard pressed to find something better.
The breakfast is full english and well served.
Location is good for going anywhere in London and the proximity to Paddington station and the Heathrow express is especially good.
The area is quiet and upmarket, and there is no noise at night.
In all I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely return on my next trips to London.
Thank you again for the great stay.

Room Tip: Club rooms are spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014