“Nice receptionist and bedroom area, but the bathroom is disgusting”

Seraphine London Kensington Gardens
Ranked #706 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I wanted to write a good review about this hotel- I really did. I was trying to decide whether it deserved 2 or 3 stars, but gave it the benefit of the doubt. The guy who sits at reception is super nice and breakfast isn't bad with fruit and yogurt, croissants, meat and cheese, hard boiled eggs and cereal. Our bedroom area was nice- we got the triple room because I was there with my mom and her friend. We liked the location- basically right across from the Kensington gate and a couple blocks from the High Street Kensington tube. The Big Bus hop on hop off bus also comes right in front of the hotel which is nice.

The thing that really bothered me was the bathroom. We were in a handicapped room (first of all, it doesn't make sense because you had to use stairs from the elevator to get there). The shower was weird and was basically all these folding doors that went up to your waist and a shower curtain that went all around. Okay that's fine and I'll even look over the fact that it's extremely hard to get in and reseal the doors so water doesn't leak all over.

What was disgusting was the shower curtain was all covered in mildew and there was a handicapped seat in there that was all rusted and also covered with mildew. It gave the bathroom a foul smell. They even had an air freshener in there to mask the scent but it was really bad. I wouldn't have minded the shower if they replaced the curtain and scrubbed the chair with bleach like once a month. But seriously that chair needs to go- just replace it or make this a normal room. It just doesn't make any sense- shower curtains are super cheap- just get a crappy one from ASDA it'd be better than the gross stinky one in there.

I would say they really try to make this a nice hotel. And they do- mostly. But they must have just overlooked the bathrooms. It was 175 pounds a night for us, and we know it's a triple room in London in April (a double bed and a single bed), but come on.

As for the noise, it was kind of noisy as we faced the street, which is expected. Not too terrible though. The beds were comfy and there was a kettle in the room with a lot of coffee and tea. I would not stay there again, though.

Room Tip: Do not get a handicapped accessible room (which we didn't know ours was til we got there).- the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Hayley M
seraphinegm, General Manager at Seraphine London Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at +44 (0) 208 6000 555.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

When we arrived the receptionist was hardly welcoming. I would have liked a staff member to have met us at the door as the bags were hard to get up the cramped stairwell.

We had stated when booking that we'd like a park facing room but were given room 101 that has the view of the back of houses etc.

The room, in my opinion was hardly more than that you would find in a Travel Lodge room save for the pictures on the wall and better toilet/shower room. The knob on the shower was broken and there was a build up of limescale on the shower head causing the water to spray in different directions. The shower and hand wash gel were half empty and the toilet paper was cheap.

The desk in the room was badly chipped along the front edge and the carpet around the bed had numerous white stains on it. I dread to think!

The only reason that I would EVEN return to this hotel is for its location. A short walk to Royal Albert Hall, V & A Museum etc etc. At nearly £120 for one night, I've stayed in a Hilton for less and paid as much to stay at the six star Sion Park Hotel.

Room Tip: Not 101 as this faces the rear of houses and businesses.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CraigCarter
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The best feature of this hotel is the excellent location. Rooms are really small ( at least mine = n° 103 ) ... if you are more than 90 kg simply avoid booking this hotel because you won't be able to move ... especially in the bathroom ! The most uncomfortable thing to me was the mattress ... very soft and that affects your back a lot after a night sleep. All spaces in the hotel are restricted but apart from that everything is working : wirelss is fine, breakfast is decent and the hotel is very clean anyway. The staff is rather helpful. To be in the centre of London price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms facing High Street Kensigton are rather "noisy" because of pubs/disco along the stre...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alerock
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stay in London on a weekly basis with work, usually in far lesser hotels than the 'Best Western' chain. Last night was simply the worst experience in a hotel I ever had.

In fairness, my room had been booked as a single, as I was expecting to stay alone, however my fiance had come down to London at the last minute and she decided to stay over. When I entered the room however, it was obvious that the 2 of us couldnt stay in there.

I am not a huge guy (6ft 1), but the room was so small that from the bed my feet touched the kettle and 'far' wall. Furthermore, the bed was tiny and there was barely floor space to leave our bags.

I tried to explain the situation on arrival to the guy on reception and his only response was "there is nothing i can do unless you want to pay £40 for an upgrade". It was 22:30 on a Wed night and I politely explained that if he had a spare room, surely he could give it to a dissatisfied customer. (This was when I finally managed to track him down, he had been outside the hotel at the front, smoking and chatting to his mates for 20 mins. Hardly the best impression to set)

Anyway, it then became clear that the 2 of us would never be able to sleep in the bed, so I decided to sleep on the floor. I again went to reception and asked for 2 duvets. 1 to lie on and 1 to cover. He returned 20 mins later with 1 and explained it was the last in the building and that he had to take it off one of the beds (ironically the same 'double' he refused to move us to. I then enquired as to what would happen should someone come and want to book said room out. His reply was: "It's ok, we have a hotel down the road that would bring some more bed clothes across." Needless to say I then questioned why I didnt warrant this service, but at this stage it was like talking with a toddler.

Anyway, I ended up sleeping on the floor, with a cushion for a pillow and the 'large' bath towel as my duvet. This wasnt the end of it however, the air conditioning was broken and the room was so noisey. (made worse by matey boy standing smoking with his pals outside the front door all evening)

It's a real shame because the location is good, right on Kensington High st and the decor is ok. However I would only recommend staying here if you are a borrower with a penchant for terrible service.

I will never stay in a Best Western again.

Room Tip: Try a hotel down the road!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Sam O
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Rooms are nice but on the small side so if you need space, not the hotel for you. Breakfast each morning was basic but ok. The staff will try to accommodate all requests but we did see a few unhappy customers during our stay. Free wireless internet is good and rooms were cleaned daily. Good hotel for the price and the loaction is excellent in a nice area. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
seraphinegm, General Manager at Seraphine London Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at +44 (0) 208 6000 555.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

2 night stay over weekend. Have never seen such a small bedroom ! Despite the lack of room, I would use this hotel again. The staff were very helpful, the whole place was spotless and the location was very good for getting into central London without the cost of a central London hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here as it was close to the Royal Albert Hall. The room was clean but small. So best not bring your cat if you want to swing it!

On the plus side, shower was great and the hotel is perfectly located for all that Kensington has to offer at a really reasonable rate for the location. The R.A.H is only a 10 min walk away, the staff are friendly enough.

Not really suitable for staying any more than a single night as room is a bit tight. But apart from that it's not bad at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple